PDA

View Full Version : Best adds to Sport Tour a Tuono?

fishhuntride
01-31-2010, 02:47 AM
I am considering adding a Tuono along side my RC51 and Roadliner v-twins. However, I would on occasion want to take 7-14 day trips of several thousand miles. Add in that I am 6'4" and a pretty fit 245lbs. I know I would want better wind protection, maybe rearsets with better leg room and some luggage. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.
:cheers:

Aussie Factory
01-31-2010, 03:11 AM
I am considering adding a Tuono along side my RC51 and Roadliner v-twins. However, I would on occasion want to take 7-14 day trips of several thousand miles. Add in that I am 6'4" and a pretty fit 245lbs. I know I would want better wind protection, maybe rearsets with better leg room and some luggage. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Yep, I would like more leg room on longer rides. The Tuono certainly has high pegs. Great for most rides, but for long rides it gets painful. And at 6 4" it will be even more painful for you. I'm sussing out rearsets now. I'm not sure how much they will give me, but hey, they look very cool anyway:)

Jeff U
01-31-2010, 08:50 AM
... I'm sussing out rearsets now. I'm not sure how much they will give me, but hey, they look very cool anyway...

Don't rear sets move your pegs back & higher?

On longer trips that would seem to be worse, not better.

dallascat
01-31-2010, 10:44 AM
I would probably not use my Tuono for long distance touring (I have the Tiger for that), but if I were, I would look for:

1. New screen (I put on an ermax and it makes a world of difference) - there is a very long post with pro and cons on most aftermarket options

2. Improve the seat - I got a spencer modified seat from a fellow member but had not a chance to test it at length. I have seen a few people using Corbin. Stock seat may not be suited for more than a 200-300 miles/day....

3. Ventura rack system on the rear. I used to have one for my Triumph scrambler and it was very practical (modular design). I believe it came with a 45L bag, but you had the option to double up. So that should cover most of your carrying needs.

4. Possibly a tank bag

5. Connection for a GPS - easy and inexpensive

I am sure there is more.....

Dan M
01-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Add these

siktuono
01-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Add these

HAHAA! Seriously though, why do people buy Tuono's just so they can puss them out right off the bat? Maybe it's not just the Tuono though... I'm gonna go check out the RSV4 forum. I bet there's a guy on there looking for luggage bags or some stupid shit like that.

Batfastard
01-31-2010, 02:16 PM
I would probably not use my Tuono for long distance touring (I have the Tiger for that), but if I were, I would look for:

1. New screen (I put on an ermax and it makes a world of difference) - there is a very long post with pro and cons on most aftermarket options

2. Improve the seat - I got a spencer modified seat from a fellow member but had not a chance to test it at length. I have seen a few people using Corbin. Stock seat may not be suited for more than a 200-300 miles/day....

3. Ventura rack system on the rear. I used to have one for my Triumph scrambler and it was very practical (modular design). I believe it came with a 45L bag, but you had the option to double up. So that should cover most of your carrying needs.

4. Possibly a tank bag

5. Connection for a GPS - easy and inexpensive

I am sure there is more.....

:plus: Pretty much sums it up for me.
I use a baglux/bagster tank bag, but Famsa are good as well.

Aussie Factory
01-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Don't rear sets move your pegs back & higher?

On longer trips that would seem to be worse, not better.

http://acculign.com/dual_eccentric_rearsets.html

Not these ones. It isnt much, but maybe an inch will help a bit.

Aussie Factory
01-31-2010, 05:43 PM
HAHAA! Seriously though, why do people buy Tuono's just so they can puss them out right off the bat? Maybe it's not just the Tuono though... I'm gonna go check out the RSV4 forum. I bet there's a guy on there looking for luggage bags or some stupid shit like that.

I used my last Tuono for heaps of big rides. And apart from the high pegs its great for that. Thats the beauty of higher bars, my body would pack it in riding big miles on an RSV4, otherwise I would own one.

90% of my riding is a 90k return trip to work and the Tuono is perfect for that too. The other 10% is riding 500k reguarly (doing that on my old GSXR was hell)to the mountains. And that gets painful for me. So anything helps. My luggage is a back pack.

So you either buy a dual purpose like my last bike, a Benelli Trek Amazonas and be bored 90% of the time and comfortable 10% of the time. Or a tourer, and be comfortable 100% of the time and old and annoying the rest. Or if your are rich, buy both.

rmcobb
01-31-2010, 07:22 PM
There is no reason to not consider the T for a 7 day trip or longer. I use a Laminar Lip mounted over the Aprilia Tall windscreen, use the Tourmaster Cortech saddlebags and tailbabg cinced up so that don't touch the exhaust, with a tankbag and its plenty good enough. I've only been gone for 4 days but could've have been gone 7 or longer very easily, of course this is staying in motels, and not camping.

I'm 6 foot and 225 lbs and the stock seat has not been that bad.

Aussie Factory
01-31-2010, 07:43 PM
There is no reason to not consider the T for a 7 day trip or longer. I use a Laminar Lip mounted over the Aprilia Tall windscreen, use the Tourmaster Cortech saddlebags and tailbabg cinced up so that don't touch the exhaust, with a tankbag and its plenty good enough. I've only been gone for 4 days but could've have been gone 7 or longer very easily, of course this is staying in motels, and not camping.

I'm 6 foot and 225 lbs and the stock seat has not been that bad.

I just checked out the Laminar Lip, what a great idea! Is it something thats quick to fit? I would only use it for tourering. It looks perfect for the job. No need to replace my exsisting screen either.

fishhuntride
01-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys. It gives me some ideas. I think the Laminar Lip or Ermax would work. I already have the Cortech setup, just didn't think it would work with the high exhaust. The Ventra Rack would also be an option. I'm not sure if 1" would be enough to justify the rearsets. Probably worth digging a little more. Also, if I decided to have the seat worked on, I could add a little height there to help with leg room.

If that turned out not to be puss enough for me :rolleyes:, I could always go with a Vetter or batwing fairing, a H-D touring saddle, ape hangers and forward controls...:cheers:

tuono_j
02-01-2010, 03:14 AM
... all you need is a tank-bag (Famsa) and tail-bag.

As long as you don´t ride high-speed you´ll not need another wind-screen.

I´m doing 1 trip in the alps every year (~3k km) and I never needed another seat or other pegs - and I would never put that laminar-lip on a bike, even if the wind yould blow me off ;-)

twin4me
02-01-2010, 08:57 AM
I found the Ermax screen gave more buffeting and noise at high speeds, also rain really stuck on my visor more.

Batfastard
02-01-2010, 10:41 AM
I found the Ermax screen gave more buffeting and noise at high speeds, also rain really stuck on my visor more.

compared to?

Jhawker21
02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
I have the Laminar wind screen and find it quite nice, in terms of looks and function. To each their own but IMO, it does a great job of getting the wind up and over my helmet thus saving my neck on the long rides.

TuonoDen
02-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Just think back in my Dad's young days, guys like him rode cross country from coast
to coast on Triumph's, Norton's, BSA's with no fairing's, tiny saddlebags, and just a helmet, leather jacket and jeans.
Whatever happened to being Men, for crissakes!
Lol
Cheers,
Den

siktuono
02-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Just think back in my Dad's young days, guys like him rode cross country from coast
to coast on Triumph's, Norton's, BSA's with no fairing's, tiny saddlebags, and just a helmet, leather jacket and jeans.
Lol
Cheers,
Den

I like this Canadian!

My dad had a 67 Triumph Bonneville and rocked half a helmet and a mustache

Aussie Factory
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Lol
Cheers,
Den

The old blokes didnt know any better. Given the choice, I'm sure they would take the Tuono with a tank bag.
We had one shit black and white tv, no video, no air con, no computer, and a crap fire for heating when I was a kid. Now I have 3 tv's, PS3,IPOD, computer etc etc. My kids generation have no idea!!!!!! Thats it, I'm going to clip them over the ear and make them sleep outside tonight.:mad:

siktuono
02-01-2010, 11:35 PM
The old blokes didnt know any better. Given the choice, I'm sure they would take the Tuono with a tank bag.
We had one shit black and white tv, no video, no air con, no computer, and a crap fire for heating when I was a kid. Now I have 3 tv's, PS3,IPOD, computer etc etc. My kids generation have no idea!!!!!! Thats it, I'm going to clip them over the ear and make them sleep outside tonight.:mad:

Uh oh, we better not get the geriatric Tuono pilots all revved up! The repercussions could be severe! Senior citizen hooligans on T's?! Scary!

Aussie Factory
02-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Uh oh, we better not get the geriatric Tuono pilots all revved up! The repercussions could be severe! Senior citizen hooligans on T's?! Scary!

A bit uncomfortable in jeans and an open face helmet here. But I'm sure some of you (fully) sick guys could do it in shorts, T shirt on the back wheel.

OZprilia
02-02-2010, 12:07 AM

A bit uncomfortable in jeans and an open face helmet here. But I'm sure some of you (fully) sick guys could do it in shorts, T shirt on the back wheel.
Looks like a nice day, except for that white stuff, only white stuff we get here is sand and thats more yellow:cheers:

Dulcius
02-02-2010, 12:52 AM
1 Bigger screen (factory option ATM but slightly bigger than that would be better)

2 AF1 Handguards

3 Airhawk (medium) seat pad (way better than sheepskin IMO - just throw it on the seat don't bother to strap it on)

4 Factory Bra and tank bag

5 Ventura rack and Aerodelta 35lt + Aerospada 28 lt bags zipped together (big one at the front so you can lean back a bit for a bit of lumbar support when you stretch, pack bike cover in front pocket)

6 Ohlins rear shock with heavier 100 spring (WAY better than the original for evenning out little bumps)

7 Crash nobbs (for when it tips over on that flimsy side stand on uneven ground when you're tied and not paying attention) oh and to put your feet up on after a while

8 Radiator guards (beowolf ebay uk)

9 15t front sprocket so it wont chug and complain in top gear at legal speed

10 Dunlop Qualifier front (not a lot of weight on the front wheel to wear it out and you want it to be sticky so it grips on turns and stops) Roadsmart rear (good match, you'll still gut the centre eventually but has soft sides and has not scarily let go on me yet...)

haven't got a proper photo with me with it all on but you get the idea... I'm 95kg, 5'10" and do big days

and lastly, when its stinking hot, ditch the dinky little plastic wind deflectors above the radiators - they work WAY good, its a much cooler bike without them blocking the breeze onto your legs and hips

Aussie Factory
02-02-2010, 02:19 AM
1 Bigger screen (factory option ATM but slightly bigger than that would be better)

2 AF1 Handguards

3 Airhawk (medium) seat pad (way better than sheepskin IMO - just throw it on the seat don't bother to strap it on)

5 Ventura rack and Aerodelta 35lt + Aerospada 28 lt bags zipped together (big one at the front so you can lean back a bit for a bit of lumbar support when you stretch, pack bike cover in front pocket)

6 Ohlins rear shock with heavier 100 spring (WAY better than the original for evenning out little bumps)

7 Crash nobbs (for when it tips over on that flimsy side stand on uneven ground when you're tied and not paying attention) oh and to put your feet up on after a while

10 Dunlop Qualifier front (not a lot of weight on the front wheel to wear it out and you want it to be sticky so it grips on turns and stops) Roadsmart rear (good match, you'll still gut the centre eventually but has soft sides and has not scarily let go on me yet...)

haven't got a proper photo with me with it all on but you get the idea... I'm 95kg, 5'10" and do big days

and lastly, when its stinking hot, ditch the dinky little plastic wind deflectors above the radiators - they work WAY good, its a much cooler bike without them blocking the breeze onto your legs and hips

Thats a great set up you've got there. Best of both worlds. Good work.

siktuono
02-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Dude, that's a cool picture. I like how your Tuono is white too. I hope you just took your gloves off for the pic... otherwise you're probably using a speak and type program on your computer right now.

TuonoDen
02-02-2010, 07:59 AM

I agree they had no choice in the matter,
But the point is us "Men" have gotten weaker over the generations and as you
pointed out our kids have it too good and are becoming even weaker versions
of our generation!
Lol

Back in the day, before my father met my mom,
He used to commute to work, 150kms each way on a old beaten up bike,
Rain or shine with no protection against the elements and he did this 5 times a week.

So when I get a bit cold in the mornings commuting to work all decked out
In my warm gear, helmet, boots, gloves, etc..
I just think back at my Dad freezing his butt off and then for some reason,
The cold and wind I am feeling just seems to be rather trivial.
:cool:

Cheers,
Den

Jhawker21
02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Dude, that's a cool picture. I like how your Tuono is white too. I hope you just took your gloves off for the pic... otherwise you're probably using a speak and type program on your computer right now.

Now's that funny, I thought the same thing! However, you failed to mention that someone else is probably wiping his ass for him.

Jhawker21
02-02-2010, 10:41 AM

2 AF1 Handguards

Great write-up. Got some good ideas from this note and I apprecaite it! I rode over the weekend in 35 degree weather and would have benefited from those hand guards..I'm gonna check them out on AF1's website.

Aussie Factory
02-02-2010, 05:05 PM

My hands were bloody cold, but I had to get my camera out to give to this old dude driving past. Thats my old Tuono(I had a moment of madness and bought a Trek, good bike, but it aint no Tuono), I reckon my new one would look better with the white background:)

Aussie Factory
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I agree they had no choice in the matter,
But the point is us "Men" have gotten weaker over the generations and as you
pointed out our kids have it too good and are becoming even weaker versions
of our generation!
Lol

Back in the day, before my father met my mom,
He used to commute to work, 150kms each way on a old beaten up bike,
Rain or shine with no protection against the elements and he did this 5 times a week.

So when I get a bit cold in the mornings commuting to work all decked out
In my warm gear, helmet, boots, gloves, etc..
I just think back at my Dad freezing his butt off and then for some reason,
The cold and wind I am feeling just seems to be rather trivial.

:cool:

Cheers,
Den

I totally agree. I love riding in the cold and pushing myself on long rides. Its more of an achievement than a ride. Plus there is nothing better than cracking a beer in front of a fire at the pub after a big ride. Happy days.:cheers:

Aussie Factory
02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I thought you might find it funny that this service station was selling petrol until about 3 months ago, until the bank shut them down:crybaby:. Its annoying because you need to plan your fuel stops carefully now. There is only a pub(they better not shut that down) and a cop shop left now. Its right in the middle of bush fire country, you can tell by the high tech sprinkler system on the roof:eek: Its such an:aussie: photo.126358

TuonoDen
02-02-2010, 09:48 PM
You got that right mate!
By the way, my best bud lives in Melbourne, where abouts are you?
I am hoping to make it down under this year, maybe in November or December,
My buddy says he will take me to Phillip Island, apparently it isn't too far away.
Cheers,
Den

Aussie Factory
02-02-2010, 10:20 PM
You got that right mate!
By the way, my best bud lives in Melbourne, where abouts are you?
I am hoping to make it down under this year, maybe in November or December,
My buddy says he will take me to Phillip Island, apparently it isn't too far away.
Cheers,
Den

I live in Somers, about 50k from Melbourne and 5k from The Island. The only problem is, its 5k across water!!! Need a boat for me and the Aprilia.

Dan M
02-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I thought you might find it funny that this service station was selling petrol until about 3 months ago, until the bank shut them down:crybaby:. Its annoying because you need to plan your fuel stops carefully now. There is only a pub(they better not shut that down) and a cop shop left now. Its right in the middle of bush fire country, you can tell by the high tech sprinkler system on the roof:eek: Its such an:aussie: photo

Don't feel bad, about half way down Baja we had to buy brown gas from this guy.

Aussie Factory
02-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Don't feel bad, about half way down Baja we had to buy brown gas from this guy.

What a classic!!:funnypost

wsmc99
02-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Laminar is great, never ridden without mine, even on the track. Aprilia tail bag and Chase Harper Stealth Saddle bags work great. Acculign rearsets are great for getting that extra drop on the pegs. The pegs are narrow compared to stock though.
Stock seat if fine. Try owning a KTM if you think anyother seat in this world is bad!
Get your ass off the seat and put some sport into your sport-touring! ;-)

SoulDaddy
02-04-2010, 02:34 AM
With or without the handguards, these might be the best thirty bucks you ever spent:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Images%20JPG/Heated_Grip_Kit_Small_2.jpg

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit.htm

Aussie Factory
02-04-2010, 04:44 PM
With or without the handguards, these might be the best thirty bucks you ever spent:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Images%20JPG/Heated_Grip_Kit_Small_2.jpg

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit.htm

These are awesome too.

_CD_
02-09-2010, 03:10 AM
If you go the heated grip route, don't do what I did. I made the mistake of installing polly heaters (http://pollyheaters.com/ph200.htm) that go inside the handle bars. They work ok but the bars are aluminum and on a really cold day they lose heat too fast. It doesn't really get cold very often in Phoenix so it's not that big a deal but next time I'll just get a pair of heated gloves so I can use them on whatever bike I own.

apex
02-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Hello
YES, you can take big long trips on the Tuono-I did several(8) last year, like 7-10 days and 2500+ miles. Gas tank fill ups will slow you down, 120-150 miles per tank. Not much wind protection, a taller windscreem will help. Yes, the seats hard and the forks/shock are stiff, but when you get the the the twisty roads.......I use a large Wolfman(USA) tank bag, and a Luggage Locker soft tail pack, and a few things under the tail section(tire repair kits, etc.) and just go, traveling lighty. The bike works good, stable and great brakes, good torque. I'm 6'2 185lbs, and rear sets are nice to have.
My '07 Factory now has 25,000+ miles, and other than using some oil(?) and changing the air filter(it gets dirty, fast) and good tires and a chain, you'll have a blast. I think there too many posuers(owners, not riders) sometimes on the APR web sites, but if you have any questions I could answer, e-mail me. Rob Avery apexavery@yahoo.com

SoulDaddy
02-10-2010, 03:21 PM
This must be one of those many posers you're talking about.

Batfastard
02-11-2010, 04:06 AM
:funnypost (yeah, we are all poseurs):blah:

A slightly less laden pair of Tuono's on tour.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/batfastard/Bike/IMG_0129.jpg

This picture taken at about 2000 miles into last years summer Euro tour. Bikes were ridden from where we live to the channel, across France, to our friends on the south coast of Spain & home.

Liz's 07 has an Ermax screen, baglux tank bag & Ventura rack & bag. The 150 mile max tank range is no hardship, it simply means you stop every couple of hours for a stretch, a drink, pee etc.

We haven't fitted gel seats etc. (yet) I do have electronic chain oilers fitted, and the usual gearing mods etc.

I used to ride a VFR the "best all rounder" but TBH it was a heavy pig of a bike compared to a Tuono, and it just lacked that ability to put a grin on your face when riding.

Aussie Factory
02-11-2010, 06:12 AM
:funnypost (yeah, we are all poseurs):blah:

A slightly less laden pair of Tuono's on tour.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/batfastard/Bike/IMG_0129.jpg

This picture taken at about 2000 miles into last years summer Euro tour. Bikes were ridden from where we live to the channel, across France, to our friends on the south coast of Spain & home.

Liz's 07 has an Ermax screen, baglux tank bag & Ventura rack & bag. The 150 mile max tank range is no hardship, it simply means you stop every couple of hours for a stretch, a drink, pee etc.

We haven't fitted gel seats etc. (yet) I do have electronic chain oilers fitted, and the usual gearing mods etc.

I used to ride a VFR the "best all rounder" but TBH it was a heavy pig of a bike compared to a Tuono, and it just lacked that ability to put a grin on your face when riding.

Great set up and trip, friends in Spain! Lucky buggers. I'm about to buy a Ventura pack rack and bag kit. Great solution. :cheers:

SoulDaddy
02-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Nice rigs, Paul. Which chain oiler are you running?

Striking a pose during a Northern California coastal jaunt on the Fuono ...

Batfastard
02-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Nice rigs, Paul. Which chain oiler are you running?

Striking a pose during a Northern California coastal jaunt on the Fuono ...

Pro-oiler. Used them on the last 5 bikes now.

pilotw98
02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
<--Iron Butt member.

1100 miles in 24 hours non-stop from FL to NJ on a overloaded(camp gear and all), oil spewing(1/4 Qt every 100 miles) 1981 GS650G and my buddy was on a KLR650 (single cylinder 650) that struggled to maintain 70mph due to his exhaust melting a hole in his airbox on the way down(we drove down in 2 days). That was a hardcore ride down and back(CT to FL). On the way down we hit 15 degree weather around 10pm in NJ. It had snowed the night before as well. I never felt more manly than that ride. :)

I have yet to do a long ride on the Tuono but there is serious potential.

pilotw98
02-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Here is a picture of what the bike looked like when we left CT with the snow and then how we slept that night. On the ground in a sleeping bag. No tent, no protection. Just hardcore on the ground.

Good times :D

jrflanne
02-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Here is a picture of what the bike looked like when we left CT with the snow and then how we slept that night. On the ground in a sleeping bag. No tent, no protection. Just hardcore on the ground.

Good times :D

Way to go, Nanook! Badass.

Aussie Factory
02-11-2010, 05:11 PM
<--Iron Butt member.

1100 miles in 24 hours non-stop from FL to NJ on a overloaded(camp gear and all), oil spewing(1/4 Qt every 100 miles) 1981 GS650G and my buddy was on a KLR650 (single cylinder 650) that struggled to maintain 70mph due to his exhaust melting a hole in his airbox on the way down(we drove down in 2 days). That was a hardcore ride down and back(CT to FL). On the way down we hit 15 degree weather around 10pm in NJ. It had snowed the night before as well. I never felt more manly than that ride. :)

I have yet to do a long ride on the Tuono but there is serious potential.

Thats a great effort! You never forget those rides. Popping wheelies around town just doesnt compare. Sure its fun. But riding 1100 miles in 24 hours ceratinly dosent feel like fun, until you sit back and remember the (pain) trip. Getting "out there" is the go.

pilotw98
02-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Thats a great effort! You never forget those rides. Popping wheelies around town just doesnt compare. Sure its fun. But riding 1100 miles in 24 hours ceratinly dosent feel like fun, until you sit back and remember the (pain) trip. Getting "out there" is the go.

Yeah. I can still very vividly remember how hard it was to ride between 3am and 5am. We were exhausted, the sun was blinding us, and it was just rough. Then we have the 30 minute nap in near Washington D.C. on the ground at a gas station, and finally passing out in NJ for 3-4 hours on a table at a rest stop after we had done it. I never plan to do that again unless I find a place where I can maintain a 110mph average for just over 9 hours of riding.

24 hours of non-stop riding is really just stupid. I'm glad I did it but I would not recommend it to anyone, lol

fnfalman
02-14-2010, 12:19 AM
You don't know cold until you ride through Gallup, New Mexico in late April and a freak cold front came through, dropping the temperature down to 29F and all you had were a BMW mesh jacket and (thank God) a jacket liner.

I was so cold by the time I hit Winslow, Arizona, I had to sit on the bike for half an hour to thaw out before I can even move.

rene
02-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Bagster tankbag, lugage pack on the back, Garmin Zumo 550 That's all.The bagster works as an spoiler, keeping the wind of my chest. For this year I bought the ventura rack. Then to sport tour will be no problem. O yeah, in adition to that a Ohlins with remote spring preload makes it work.

Aussie Factory
02-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Bagster tankbag, lugage pack on the back, Garmin Zumo 550 That's all.The bagster works as an spoiler, keeping the wind of my chest. For this year I bought the ventura rack. Then to sport tour will be no problem. O yeah, in adition to that a Ohlins with remote spring preload makes it work.

I like the Ventura rack too. I dont like tie downs on my bikes. You dont want anything rubbing on the paint surface. They are so secure too.

fnfalman
02-15-2010, 11:52 AM
I don't know if anybody had suggested it yet, but for FishHuntRide's height (6ft4), the legs may be really cramped due to high pegs. There are aftermarket pegs available that I believe give enough adjustments to lower the pegs down and back an 1" or so, but 6ft4 is a lot of legs for a bike like the Tuono.

fishhuntride
02-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Leg room is a concern with 36" inseam. I found this from a member here that might help but will it be enough? http://www.whaccessories.com/FootPegLoweringKit.htm

Now a couple of riding buddies are planning a major trip this summer. Riders coming from Indiana and Montana and I'd be coming from Washington. We are to meet in Colorado and ride together for several days before heading back to our homes. Just not sure if I want to do that trip on the Tuono...

W-Dog
02-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Hey I did a 3000k tour of the South Island of New Zealand in just under a week, all the gear I had I was wearing .... Im 6ft and the only thing that I found hard was the seat !! GREAT touring bike :)

W-Dog
02-16-2010, 12:51 AM

Holly crap!!! what you need is a sleeping bag rolled up and tied ontop of the front guard just to finish the look off :)

rene
02-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Holly crap!!! what you need is a sleeping bag rolled up and tied ontop of the front guard just to finish the look off :)

Héhéhé!! I was thinking to leave the chair home this year....!!:)

fnfalman
02-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Leg room is a concern with 36" inseam...

You sure you don't want to try out a KTM 990 Adventure R?

fishhuntride
02-24-2010, 12:04 AM
You sure you don't want to try out a KTM 990 Adventure R?

Not really into the Adventure but the SuperDuke is pretty cool and has a lot of leg room and the new (to USA anyway) SMT should be here next month and that is interesting too. The problem with the SMT is the list price of $13,995. That is more that I want to pay when I could get a Tuono or SuperDuke for just about half that amount.

Biker53
02-28-2010, 09:06 AM
To echo others I have added the smoke colored Laminar Lip, corbin seat which I am not sure is an improvement so use an air hawk on occasion. I use Avon Storm tires on the Tuono and my Hayabusa and get superior mileage 7,000 to 8,000 miles, while not sacrificing anything else for my type of riding. I can cram all my needs into a large cortech rear bag but will give the cortech sport tour bag and rear bag a closer look, if I can cinch them up tight enough to keep off dual factory exhaust would be great. I find that a mesh jacket, with water proof liner plus fleece jacket under it all gives me enough weather protection along with rain pants to handle most weather except for the below 55 degree temps for an extended time.

My first street bike was a 1975 sportster purchased new that year and in my 20's 300-500 mile rides were not a problem. Alas with age that has changed and the Tuono is a great sport tour platform and twisty road guzzlier. :peace:

Fiine_Liine
08-05-2011, 08:56 AM
I got 30mm peg lowering footpegs and they make a huge difference. I did a corbin seat because I hated the stock pink thing-it looks a lot better but comfort is only marginally better.

tuonoforme
08-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Add these

love this goy LOL

tuonoforme
08-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Lol
Cheers,
Den

I used to ride XS650 twins far and away with only a jean jacket that doubled as a rear pack in wind, rain, heat.. that bike only failed once when the generator brushes wore down.. found a way to reverse them on the spring, it had a kick starter as well as electric to start for a few more miles to get home..
Rode an FJR1300 for 30,000 miles... 30,000 mostly boring irritatiing miles. Guess I`ll never be the Goldwing guy. But then thats just me.

tuonoforme
08-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Hey I did a 3000k tour of the South Island of New Zealand in just under a week, all the gear I had I was wearing .... Im 6ft and the only thing that I found hard was the seat !! GREAT touring bike :)

I have always found that I end up overpacking anyway... you know if you turn your underwear inside out, you can wear it for another five days!

Nob
08-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Best thread on here for ages this boys.
The one thing that improved the T's touring capability more than anything for me was the Airsquark. No one and I mean NO one has frigged about with the seat on these buggers more than me. They take every bit of pain away. Without it after about 150-200 miles I felt like setting fire to the bike but not anymore. They take all all the stress from the arse, up the spine, neck and arms and shoulders etc. I was really reluctant to get one, and yup I get the piss taken out of me, colostomy bag, piles, blah de blah, but now 400+ is easy man so fukkem.

Airhawk :worship:
Ermax :worship:
Ventura :worship:

Nice to hear about the T's real capabilities again and what they true'ly are. A real go any where do anything bike. :worship:

Within reason of course :)

SoulDaddy
08-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Which size airhawk fits best, Nobby?

My cheeks will thank you.

Nob
08-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Which size airhawk fits best, Nobby?

My cheeks will thank you.

Airhawk 2 Medium cruiser, SoulPoppa. Reet dandy on the Fuono as well matey :)

I actually got mine from Americy and it was cheaper than rip off Britian even with the customs grabbing a bit.

SoulDaddy
08-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Oh goody, so glad to hear you supported our fine economy and the brain surgeons who operate it.

:plus:

rosco103
08-05-2011, 03:59 PM

LOL:lame:

luketrash
08-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I used to ride XS650 twins far and away with only a jean jacket that doubled as a rear pack in wind, rain, heat.. that bike only failed once when the generator brushes wore down.. found a way to reverse them on the spring, it had a kick starter as well as electric to start for a few more miles to get home..
Rode an FJR1300 for 30,000 miles... 30,000 mostly boring irritatiing miles. Guess I`ll never be the Goldwing guy. But then thats just me.

I'm looking at the Tuono because I just feel guilty laboring my W650 out on the highway at modern speeds. I've been to the grand canyon on a multi-thousand ile ride through snow and 100+ degree days on the same trip with the bike. The ride was fine, but I always felt like I was flogging the poor bike a bit. The 100+ hp would be nice just to effortlessly push the bike across the nation at 80mph without a care in the world. I'd ride my Honda CB350 across the nation if I had enough free time and roads devoid of angry motorists ;)

I might raise an eyebrow if I heard of someone putting a side car on one of these bikes though.

Fiine_Liine
08-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Rode an xs650 all over the US w/ only the common generator brush failure. Carried spares till I sold it and fixed 2 other peoples in the process. No idea why-but if I find a nice pre78 xs650 I will own it. Dont get me started on the self-cancelling turn signals. Nice W650 and 350 cafe, Tuono will fit in nice. Everyone should have something fast, something old, something w/ knobbies, and a project.

tuonoforme
08-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Rode an xs650 all over the US w/ only the common generator brush failure. Carried spares till I sold it and fixed 2 other peoples in the process. No idea why-but if I find a nice pre78 xs650 I will own it. Dont get me started on the self-cancelling turn signals. Nice W650 and 350 cafe, Tuono will fit in nice. Everyone should have something fast, something old, something w/ knobbies, and a project.

this guy is a motorcyclist by definition in my book, well said.

windy
08-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Best add ons to sport tour a T??

Ventura luggage, fuel, road map, loud cans, visa card, mates.

3100 miles, 8 days, 19 mountain passes, 3 gorges, some motorway shit. :worship: job done.

Nob, yer a soft arse mate.. fooking airhwak ha ha. My dad used to beat my arse with a thick rubber strap just for talking in bed, 4 years old..:crybaby: think he did me a favour.. bastard...least I don't have to fork out for an expensive seat...:lol:

:peace:windy

Nob
08-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Best add ons to sport tour a T??

Ventura luggage, fuel, road map, loud cans, visa card, mates.

3100 miles, 8 days, 19 mountain passes, 3 gorges, some motorway shit. :worship: job done.

Nob, yer a soft arse mate.. fooking airhwak ha ha. My dad used to beat my arse with a thick rubber strap just for talking in bed, in case any body heard us,:devil: 4 years old..:crybaby: think he did me a favour.. bastard...least I don't have to fork out for an expensive seat...:lol:

:peace:windy

:WTF::p:

windy
08-10-2011, 08:39 AM
:WTF::p:

Not pillow talk...:lol:

He was a right twat....good job he fooked off when i was five...:devil:

rosco103
08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Look on the right side of the Picture below.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff106/rosco61/IMAG0002.jpg