PDA

View Full Version : Canada...RS50's?

ElementZ
01-27-2010, 04:56 AM
Basicly...im going to canada to live in august.
and iv looked at the bikes over there, and it says im restricted to 50 - 100cc bikes for the first while...im wondering if its worth taking my rs over?

but then again im sure i heard there not road legal cause there two stroke?
something about emissions...
can someone set me straight with whats what :)...if you can :P

its Nova Scotia(New Scotland (H)) im going :)

Cheers.

ElementZ
01-27-2010, 04:58 AM
i dont know why i put this in technical :S
maybe cause its about emissions? :P

Fmxvxx
01-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Wont be worth it tbh price you'll have to pay to ship it over, not to hot on the law in canada but if it's like the usa it's one test then you can drive any bike.

ElementZ
01-27-2010, 07:31 AM
well were bringing over everything in containers...and there will be room...so i dunno what the rules are, iv looked but cant find anything reli :S

maxiboi247
01-27-2010, 08:18 AM
yeh you can in canada, not the US, guy on here has a gpr50 (now 250) he lives in canada

Dom.C
01-27-2010, 11:49 AM
For something about this I'd suggest looking on some proper websites e.g. government. You need to get the information right.

ElementZ
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
mehhh...just found the laws :|.
basicly im restricted to 50cc's for first 6months...
unless they accept my CBT as what theirs is and let me skip thats 6months :S
then i sit a test and i can get any bike up to 100cc's...so just get a rs...then big bore it to 80cc?:P
but i then have to wait 2 years before i get a full licence.
much the same as here...but id be driving a 33bhp ninja here :/

Dom.C
01-27-2010, 01:12 PM
mehhh...just found the laws :|.
basicly im restricted to 50cc's for first 6months...
unless they accept my CBT as what theirs is and let me skip thats 6months :S
then i sit a test and i can get any bike up to 100cc's...so just get a rs...then big bore it to 80cc?:P
but i then have to wait 2 years before i get a full licence.
much the same as here...but id be driving a 33bhp ninja here :/

I can pretty much guarantee they won't accept your CBT.

Oh God, you're not even there yet and your planning to break the laws lol.

ElementZ
01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
will my rs run ok on the petrol there?...different octane levels...

ElementZ
01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
lmao dom :P
well what can i say?....youths these days :P

Dom.C
01-27-2010, 01:24 PM
lmao dom :P
well what can i say?....youths these days :P

LOL yeah tell me about it!

Dom.C
01-27-2010, 01:32 PM
will my rs run ok on the petrol there?...different octane levels...

I have no idea what they run over there.

bradders
01-27-2010, 02:18 PM
I have no idea what they run over there.It'll be same as here, 95. It's a worldwide rating system, and as all cars these days are designed to run it, I'm pretty sure they'll sell it at every station. As for the emissions I dunno

DanHam
01-27-2010, 02:39 PM
The motorcycle laws sound even worse over there than they do here!

In America there is several states where you don't even need insurance or a licence for that matter. Not so much in Canada, they seem to have a good grip on things. Expect some attention if you have a 2T over in the US.

Dom.C
01-27-2010, 02:58 PM

In America there is several states where you don't even need insurance or a licence for that matter. Not so much in Canada, they seem to have a good grip on things. Expect some attention if you have a 2T over in the US.

Yeah it's different all over the US.

Chris_br
01-27-2010, 03:35 PM

This :mad:

Pre 2003 (In california at least) ? You could get plates for ANYTHING... I mean anything.. All you had to do was get a shop to sign off saying your 2 stroke 500cc dirtbike was "street legal" when really it didnt even have headlights haha.. Thats when most of the rs 125 - rs250's got plated here..

THEN enviromentalists got involved :bangwall: and now we cant get those sexy 125's you guys have unless its "track only"..

Sigh..

Ill be moving overseas once im done with school :burnout:

But on the bright side... Theres not license restrictions.. You go out pass a written test.. Get your permit then take a class and your free to buy any bike you want..
Be it a hayabusa or a moped

DanHam
01-27-2010, 03:44 PM
What about those guys who run street legal RS125s?

So you have no practical test? Its just a written test like an exam? What does it involve?

ElementZ
01-27-2010, 04:54 PM
chris...do u mean that 2strokes arnt legal? i just need to know that.

-CON-
01-27-2010, 11:32 PM
lol ! You can get a 2-stroke Aprilia or Derbi scooter ! Good luck finding RS50 here ! I'm brobably the only one in city who has GPR and I give 100% no one have RS50! There is RS250 but track bike only! The only streetable sport bikes you'll find here are all 4-stroke. Honada, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Buell, Ducati, BMW

It's cheaper to have a car here. Insurance per year will run you as much as you gonna pay for the bike! CBR125cc 4-stroke cost $2000 good, $3000 new, insurance per year $1900 and that's the only way you can buy it, per year!

I'll give you my bike with 50 and 250 engines if you'll bring me Mito SP!

You wanna shop for anything used go here > http://www.kijiji.ca/

Chris_br
01-28-2010, 01:12 AM
What about those guys who run street legal RS125s?

So you have no practical test? Its just a written test like an exam? What does it involve?

Any idiot can ride a motorcycle here in California..

You take a written test. Then your "restricted" from riding at night or on the freeways. But keep in mind that you may still ride any bike... i.e a hayabusa :WTF:

I had never been on a motorcycle in my life. I happened to be at the Department of Motor Vehicles (Place that issues licenses and paperwork) and glanced through the motorcycle handbook (about 30 or so pages) and decided to take the written test. Got 1 wrong out of 16. Left with my permit allowing me to ride.

After having your permit if you are under 21 years old you pay $150 for the "Motorcycle Safety Course" or MSF. There they teach you the basics. Hand signs, braking, turning and low speed maneuvering. You leave the 2 day class with a paper you submit to the DMV and 2 weeks later you have a motorcycle license.

Like I said. Pre 2003 (not sure on the exact year) it was pretty simple to plate anything from what ive heard. Emissions werent a problem.. But occasionaly one will slip through the system and will receive plates at which point theyre plated forever.

The other way is to use a mille frame? And transplant some VIN numbers.

Chris_br
01-28-2010, 01:15 AM
chris...do u mean that 2strokes arnt legal? i just need to know that.

Sorry by CA I meant california.

Just rambling on and on because I cant have an 09' rs125 :soap:

-CON-
01-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Where I live, central Canada, to get a learner stage motorcycle licence, minimum age 16, must complete an approved motorcycle training course. No passengers, no night-time riding 1/2 hour before sunset to 1/2 hour after sunset. After 9 months with a beginer licence you can do your road test to get a full licence

And yes no restrictions on motorcycles, you can ride anything you want from very begining! Tomahawk? YES ! If you have one !

Old Geezer
01-28-2010, 03:46 AM
Sorry by CA I meant california.

Just rambling on and on because I cant have an 09' rs125 :soap:

Can you not get an RS plated elsewhere in your vast country, and ride it on out of state plates? I mean, Texans don't give a flying F about the environment do they? And in the case of an RS125 it's not a green issue. They pass the tree lickers test here, one step on from the huggers:happy:

ElementZ
01-28-2010, 04:09 AM
well if im restricted to 100cc for the next 2 and a half years...i may aswell have a rs50 bored out to 80cc...
its no problem getting it there... but i have no idea about getting it road legal and nplated and shit

Chris_br
01-28-2010, 04:52 AM
Can you not get an RS plated elsewhere in your vast country, and ride it on out of state plates? I mean, Texans don't give a flying F about the environment do they? And in the case of an RS125 it's not a green issue. They pass the tree lickers test here, one step on from the huggers:happy:

Well thats th problem... I might be able to buy it in another state but for you to be able to bring a used motorcycle into California it needs to have at least 7500 miles. Not only that but it has to have belonged to someone else thats from that state..

Where theres a will theres a way I guess...

Old Geezer
01-28-2010, 05:21 AM
Well thats th problem... I might be able to buy it in another state but for you to be able to bring a used motorcycle into California it needs to have at least 7500 miles. Not only that but it has to have belonged to someone else thats from that state..

Where theres a will theres a way I guess...

Sounds like you need some out of state mates, LOL. Here's the place to find them. Now, has anyone hacked the RS125 electronic dash? 7500 miles, you say...:angel:

ElementZ
01-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Con...what engine is your 250cc?
like it will work in the RS wont it?
my engines pretty much fucked i think.
im thinking about just shoving a 250cc engine in rather than buying a new 50cc...

Old Geezer
01-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Con...what engine is your 250cc?
like it will work in the RS wont it?
my engines pretty much fucked i think.
im thinking about just shoving a 250cc engine in rather than buying a new 50cc...

If only it were that simple. CON has a thread detailing his conversion somewhere. The results are good, but his dedication was considerable. And it's debatable whether the bike is what we'd really call 'safe', is it too fast for the chassis?

ElementZ
01-28-2010, 07:36 AM
iv been looking at a Yamaha Engine tzr250 engine. 2 stroke.
it looks same layout and it looks asif it would fit in nicely.

i dont reli care if its safe or not tbh:P

Dom.C
01-28-2010, 07:42 AM
iv been looking at a Yamaha Engine tzr250 engine. 2 stroke.
it looks same layout and it looks asif it would fit in nicely.

i dont reli care if its safe or not tbh:P

Simply, get the fuck off the roads. I wouldn't want your crashing into me because your frame has snapped.

It's not as easy as picking any 250 engine and whacking it in.

williamr
01-28-2010, 07:47 AM
It'll be same as here, 95. It's a worldwide rating system, and as all cars these days are designed to run it, I'm pretty sure they'll sell it at every station. As for the emissions I dunno

Wrong.

The US and Canada use a different rating system (PON), based on an average of RON rating (as used here) and MON rating.

95 RON is about 90 PON and it's readily available, but in fact the RS will run on 91 RON, so in Canada it'll be OK on their 87, although that's a lower octane than you can easily get over here. Be aware that many fuels are adultrated with up to 10% bio ethanol, which can damage any rubber seals in the fuel system.

Rob

Dom.C
01-28-2010, 07:55 AM
I have no idea what they run over there.

It'll be same as here, 95. It's a worldwide rating system, and as all cars these days are designed to run it, I'm pretty sure they'll sell it at every station. As for the emissions I dunno

Wrong.

The US and Canada use a different rating system (PON), based on an average of RON rating (as used here) and MON rating.

95 RON is about 90 PON and it's readily available, but in fact the RS will run on 91 RON, so in Canada it'll be OK on their 87, although that's a lower octane than you can easily get over here. Be aware that many fuels are adultrated with up to 10% bio ethanol, which can damage any rubber seals in the fuel system.

Rob

There you go then!

ElementZ
01-28-2010, 08:06 AM
lmao dom ur signature! :P