PDA

View Full Version : making fairings..

mcglynn
01-21-2010, 08:31 AM
i seen one guy who had done it, at a race meet over here.. (sunflower for any of you'se that have heard of it)

but yeah, i was talking away to him, looking at some of his classic bikes, and he was saying he makes his own tanks to fit them.. and that he makes his own fairings etc as their too hard to come by, and quite expensive when racing..

i'm just wondering how hard would it actually be to make a solo seat for the rs? i have a rear seat surround with damage if that helps, it would be a bit of a good base? but yeah im sure it could be done?

maybe something i'd consider doing over the summer holidays..
or if i ever get talking to this man again, maybe ask him if he'd do it/show me how..

Thanks if anyone knows..

Dom.C
01-21-2010, 09:28 AM
i seen one guy who had done it, at a race meet over here.. (sunflower for any of you'se that have heard of it)

but yeah, i was talking away to him, looking at some of his classic bikes, and he was saying he makes his own tanks to fit them.. and that he makes his own fairings etc as their too hard to come by, and quite expensive when racing..

i'm just wondering how hard would it actually be to make a solo seat for the rs? i have a rear seat surround with damage if that helps, it would be a bit of a good base? but yeah im sure it could be done?

maybe something i'd consider doing over the summer holidays..
or if i ever get talking to this man again, maybe ask him if he'd do it/show me how..

Thanks if anyone knows..

If you have a quick search around you'll see the people who have done it/planned to do it with fibre glass.

I personally wouldn't bother but it could be a good thing to do if you wanted to spend a bit of time on something.

DanHam
01-21-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't think it would be too hard, cling film over the original then fibre glass etc...

mcglynn
01-21-2010, 03:16 PM
hmm, would it pull away though cus surely with the seat it would have to go under and then how would you pull the original out =/

bourney2007
01-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Piece of piss i guess.

Fibre glass a solo seat (using your current seat as a mould). Then figure a way to attatch the lock from the normal seat to the solo seat. Paint. bobs your uncle, fannys your aunt!

mcglynn
01-21-2010, 05:18 PM
whats the lock got to do with it? lol :)

bourney2007
01-21-2010, 05:25 PM
whats the lock got to do with it? lol :)

Well thats how the solo seat is held to the bike....

You wouldn't just fibreglass over your seat and leave it be.

DanHam
01-23-2010, 07:40 AM
bobs your uncle, fannys your aunt!

Your family have weird names.....:confused:

:kidding: :bump:

DanHam
01-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Fuck the solo get a TYGA fairing kit for it bladd

bourney2007
01-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Your family have weird names.....:confused:

:kidding: :bump:

cheeky fucker! lol

DanHam
01-23-2010, 04:56 PM
cheeky fucker! lol

:happy: well you know me ;)

mcglynn
01-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Well thats how the solo seat is held to the bike....

You wouldn't just fibreglass over your seat and leave it be.

he lock on the rs50's is in the drivers seat though..
sure the solo would be held on by the bolts underneath it on the bottom (where the plate and light is) and by the two bolts on the y section of plast that looks grey on the rs's?

DanHam
01-23-2010, 08:48 PM
sure the solo would be held on by the bolts underneath it on the bottom (where the plate and light is) and by the two bolts on the y section of plast that looks grey on the rs's?

That is correct, you can also modify them so that you keep the little plastic thing so that you can remove it to carry small items.

bourney2007
01-24-2010, 04:38 AM

Yes, but there has to be something on the seat for the lock to latch onto......

DanHam
01-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Yes, but there has to be something on the seat for the lock to latch onto......

The lock on the RS50 is on the drivers seat mate, it locks onto this thing which the tank kind of bolts too. The passenger seat is fixed.

bourney2007
01-24-2010, 12:51 PM
The lock on the RS50 is on the drivers seat mate, it locks onto this thing which the tank kind of bolts too. The passenger seat is fixed.

oooooohhhhh ok.

t'other way around for the ode derbi.

Meh, couple of wood screws will do the job ;) LOL

DanHam
01-24-2010, 12:54 PM
oooooohhhhh ok.

t'other way around for the ode derbi.

Meh, couple of wood screws will do the job ;) LOL

Yeah it would be fine, I think it would be quite easily done tbh :p: