PDA

View Full Version : Clearing fault codes

geffers
02-23-2004, 10:06 AM
My first post, so please be gentle !! I have been lurking for a while, but haven't seen this question before....
I have just come back from my dealer, where I am picking up my Factory 04 next week :D However, he made a comment about having alarms fitted to the bike regarding fault codes.
It is common for alarm fitters to test each part of the install by removing sensors on the bike. Apparently, if they are removed and the bike ignition is turned on, this will register a fault code on the bike and will set it into 'limp mode'.
Can anyone cast further light on this, and if a fault codeis generated, do I need to take it back to the dealer to be reset?
I have every intention of getting the fitter to agree to paying for any the resetting of any fault codes before the job is started, but as my dealer isn't that close, I would prefer to not have to make the trip, for what I guess would be a two minute fix.
TIA
Geffers

clarkie49
02-23-2004, 10:13 AM
there are different types of codes, stored and active

the stored code is like if a sensor was unplugged and then plugged back in, the bike will run fine but it will leave a message that at one point in time the sensor had a problem.

the active codes are ongoing problems

some sensors when left unplugged will leave the bike in limp mode as your dealer stated

i have no idea on what effect an alarm will have on the new 04 bike, thunderfactory in the UK has one on his bike i think so he may be able to shed more light on this.

hope this helps

Thunder Factory
02-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49

i have no idea on what effect an alarm will have on the new 04 bike, thunderfactory in the UK has one on his bike i think so he may be able to shed more light on this.

hope this helps

Thanks for the referal clarkie, and welcome to the collective Geffers.

In the UK we have an issue that for insurance purposes you need an approved alarm and immobiliser fitted. With the 04 being so new the in built immobiliser was not approved so an aftermarket item was essential.

The most popular alarms this side of the Pond are made by Meta and Datatool.

I chose Meta as they have great features and come out well in tests, but also as they were quick off the mark with the 04 and worked witrh Aprilia technical on how to fit the alarm to the bike safely.

Have your dealer speak with Aprilia Technical on where to connect the alarm, mines be on from new and works perfectly with no errors.

Best of luck.

:peace:

geffers
02-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome, and the info guys. I have gone for the Datatool, as this was recommended for the bike for me. Roll on Monday! :)
Geffers