PDA

View Full Version : I hate Aprilia.

theoperators
12-21-2009, 05:52 AM
So i just got a deposit down on my MX50 the other day, the lad is coming to pick it up on the 27th.

I dont know about other peoples views about this, but would you EVER own another Aprilia after getting rid of your RS, RX or MX 125 / 50? Becuase i know i wouldnt.

Paying 20 for a front brake light switch?
15 for a oil tank rubber cap?
Waiting 5 weeks for Aprilia to deliver the most simple of parts?
Italian electrical systems that seem to have no logic whatsoever? Hello Aprilia but it does RAIN over here!

I know that there are quite a lot of bikes that have been abused by 16/17 year olds and bodged until the cows come home but my Aprilia experience has been beyond a joke.

Im sure there are plenty of people who have had no problems whatsoever on their bikes, but come on, i have heard stories about brand new showroom bikes cocking up after a matter of days! This cant be blamed on a bad history?

My bike blew its bottom end after 16000KMS! Maybe the silly twat before me used orange juice instead of 2 stroke oil, but what? 9,000 miles from an engine before a full rebuild? These bikes are supposed to be starter bikes i belive? I have probably spent more time working on mine then riding it!

Aprilia seems to have a habit of making parts out of cheese...

Honda here i come :whiner:

Dom.C
12-21-2009, 06:10 AM
So i just got a deposit down on my MX50 the other day, the lad is coming to pick it up on the 27th.

I dont know about other peoples views about this, but would you EVER own another Aprilia after getting rid of your RS, RX or MX 125 / 50? Becuase i know i wouldnt.

Paying 20 for a front brake light switch?
15 for a oil tank rubber cap?
Waiting 5 weeks for Aprilia to deliver the most simple of parts?
Italian electrical systems that seem to have no logic whatsoever? Hello Aprilia but it does RAIN over here!

I know that there are quite a lot of bikes that have been abused by 16/17 year olds and bodged until the cows come home but my Aprilia experience has been beyond a joke.

Im sure there are plenty of people who have had no problems whatsoever on their bikes, but come on, i have heard stories about brand new showroom bikes cocking up after a matter of days! This cant be blamed on a bad history?

My bike blew its bottom end after 16000KMS! Maybe the silly twat before me used orange juice instead of 2 stroke oil, but what? 9,000 miles from an engine before a full rebuild? These bikes are supposed to be starter bikes i belive? I have probably spent more time working on mine then riding it!

Aprilia seems to have a habit of making parts out of cheese...

Honda here i come :whiner:

I feel for you mate lol.

However in my opinion there is no excuse for being suprised about a few of those things. If people did adequate research before buying a bike, they might think twice. Or when things start to go wrong, just take it on the chin.

The problem with 16 year olds is that they see a YouTube video, a mates bike or go in to a showroom and say "I want that one" and that's the end of it.

At the end of the day, all it takes is 10 minutes on Google or type in Aprilia Forum in, this comes up and look at all the problems.

It's obvious that either you or the person who had it before you did something wrong.

I'm probably being harsh, but it's just the reality.

JambroGPR
12-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Can you not get the parts you need off eBay/local breakers?

theoperators
12-21-2009, 07:37 AM
I feel for you mate lol.

However in my opinion there is no excuse for being suprised about a few of those things. If people did adequate research before buying a bike, they might think twice. Or when things start to go wrong, just take it on the chin.

The problem with 16 year olds is that they see a YouTube video, a mates bike or go in to a showroom and say "I want that one" and that's the end of it.

At the end of the day, all it takes is 10 minutes on Google or type in Aprilia Forum in, this comes up and look at all the problems.

It's obvious that either you or the person who had it before you did something wrong.

I'm probably being harsh, but it's just the reality.

Its not about being suprised, they need to get their act together, Aprilia build quality is just shocking, nevermind their customer service.

I have no idea how the person before me took care of the bike, the service history looks fine and nothing suprising.

I would say 80% of people i know that ride bikes used to ride an Aprilia 50cc bike in the last 10 years. I would say 90% of these people would agree that they are a complete pain in the arse compared to the jap bikes.

@JambroGPR

Parts can be had from the breakers / ebay, but its often a lot easier and cheaper to go to the local dealer once postage costs are involved.

Patent parts have never been a problem, its just when OEM Aprilia become involved.

Dom.C
12-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Its not about being suprised, they need to get their act together, Aprilia build quality is just shocking, nevermind their customer service.

I have no idea how the person before me took care of the bike, the service history looks fine and nothing suprising.

I would say 80% of people i know that ride bikes used to ride an Aprilia 50cc bike in the last 10 years. I would say 90% of these people would agree that they are a complete pain in the arse compared to the jap bikes.

@JambroGPR

Parts can be had from the breakers / ebay, but its often a lot easier and cheaper to go to the local dealer once postage costs are involved.

Patent parts have never been a problem, its just when OEM Aprilia become involved.

Yes, I agree people think that but I don't know why they get annoyed with it. At the end of the day it's Italian! It comes with the territory. Just like Japanese bikes are different.

One thing I didn't think about until recently is that everything is shipped in from Italy. That is the reason it takes so long for delivery. Patent parts are usually coming from the UK.

My opinion is that if you decide to buy an RS50 you research these things and understand them properly so you understand all the downsides. They're a lot of them.

Old Geezer
12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
The biggest downside of all these bikes is the previous owners, and in some cases the current one! Abuse it, and it will return the compliment ten fold. We have 3 aprilias here in regular use, all of which are 100% reliable unless, like me, you are a bloody cloth eared clown and put petrol from a fuel can in your RS250 which has been sitting in a corner of the garden for 6 months.... our only breakdown in the last 12 months. I service ours with religious fervour, wash them and inspect them every week, and they sit in our garage on their own paddock stands when not in use. A cover is perfectly adequate though, as long as you do the rest. If your bike is unreliable, it's either yours, or another teenaged owner's fault.

bourney2007
12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
The italians don't make very reliable bikes apparently, the electrical systems are the biggest downfall, so i'm lead to believe.

As old geezer said, treat them right and they should be totally reliable. Treating them right isn't just about regular maintenance etc, it's all about treating them right whilst riding.
Don't wheelie, burnout etc. Allow the bike to properly warm up before giving it any. Don't rev the tits off he bike in neutral to show off to mates blah blah blah.

Honda are the bollocks though. Bulletproof engines. Most honda engines are known for burning a smidgen of oil but keep them topped up and it's no problem.
My CBR125 has had death for the past 9months. On the limiter in every gear every day. Flat out down A-roads etc etc. It's never once let me down. Never being stranded at the side of the road, it's never even miss fired, chugged etc etc.
I just keep the chain correctly tensioned, wash it often and keep checking the oil. Thats pretty much it. The only things i've ever had to buy for it are tires and front forks (and the forks are only because i crashed the bike).
I've now got a cibber 400 sitting in the garage waiting for april to come around. I'd highley reccomened honda, bikes and cars (although the type-R's are known for blowing up quickly, this is because owners thrape the shit out of them, don't realise the VTEC's burn a bit of oil, the oil gets too low and the engine is fried).

I don't think i would own a 2-stroke again, and if i was to buy one it would be purely for a toy. They're too high maintenance all the time for my liking.

maxiboi247
12-21-2009, 01:34 PM
lol dont buy direct from aprilia.
im on the lookout for an rx/mx 125 because i want a change in bike style, i love aprilia :)

Dom.C
12-21-2009, 02:01 PM
:plus: To all of those comments.

jjustme
12-22-2009, 09:30 PM
So aprilia are like the Alfa Romeo of motorbikes? :O
interesting

Stanley_Aprilia
12-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Nowt wrong with Prillas, Ive had an AF1, 2 RS's and a Millie and had minimal issues with both. Infact ive never had to have a top end rebuilt on any 2t ive had including the Mito and the Supercity. As for hondas being bullet proof im not so sure, seen coulntless threads about the CBR125 breaking down on other forums. A mate of mine has killed 2 NC30's depite being nigh on indestructable. They have reg/rec that are made of cheese and die at a moths fart. Dont get me wrong though, Honda do make nice machines etc. Ive had the VFR 400/750 and both had there issues. As above treat em right and if your lucky it wont fook up.

bilsta
12-23-2009, 09:44 AM
So aprilia are like the Alfa Romeo of motorbikes? :O
interesting

haha, thats my view on it aswell ;)

Stanley_Aprilia
12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Which is a foolish and incorrect view imo but each to their own.

Dom.C
12-23-2009, 10:10 AM
I think people sometimes forget what two strokes are actually like.

Stanley_Aprilia
12-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Indeed, you cant tell me Aprilia's are the only bikes that seize or cost money. Anyone payin 20 for a brake switch wants shooting. Shop around, second hand doesnt always mean second rate.

Dom.C
12-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Indeed, you cant tell me Aprilia's are the only bikes that seize or cost money. Anyone payin 20 for a brake switch wants shooting. Shop around, second hand doesnt always mean second rate.

I agree.