PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question, How much is my bike worth? (Preparing for Sale)

theoperators
12-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Hi, as per the title really.

I have a unmodified derestricted 53 reg 2003 Aprilia MX50 with 17200KM's on the clock.
Full service and MOT history
New rear tyre (Bridgestone Trailwing)
Recent top end rebuild (including new barrel)
Gold Renthal bars
New front brake light switch (22!)
Currently running premix but the injector system is in place and can be connected up (parts included).
Recent water pump rebuild
New pads all round
(new) Big + Small number plates included.
Recent DID chain and aprilia sprockets

In general the plastics are in good condition, the odd scruff here and there but thats it.

Needs MOT & tax renewing (should pass first time).

I have removed the ignition (as i broke the only key, lost the other half) and have replaced with a on/off kill switch on the handlebars, in my opinion this makes no difference, it takes 20 seconds to hotwire one of these bikes and anyone in their right mind would use atleast a disk lock anywhere along with a chain. I have been running like this for months now.

Just wondering how much you guys think the bikes worth, either as a class add on ebay or autotrader.

Dom.C
12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi mate,

Just a quick question. Why have you needed to have a new barrel so early on?

Pictures will be good as well.

:)

theoperators
12-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi,

I had a problem with the throttle linkage leading to the oil pump, to cut a long story short the oil pump was not being activated at more then half throttle, oil starvation on dual carriageway = blown piston and nicely ruined barrel. Worked out cheaper and easier to just buy a new one, the big end bearing survived faultlessly, i have done around 2000kms since.

The bike is currently 'dirty' so taking pictures at the moment is a bit of a silly idea, i will try and upload some once ive given it a good clean.

maxiboi247
12-10-2009, 09:43 AM
500-800

theoperators
12-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Was hoping for 675 do you think this is reasonable?

Dom.C
12-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi,

I had a problem with the throttle linkage leading to the oil pump, to cut a long story short the oil pump was not being activated at more then half throttle, oil starvation on dual carriageway = blown piston and nicely ruined barrel. Worked out cheaper and easier to just buy a new one, the big end bearing survived faultlessly, i have done around 2000kms since.

The bike is currently 'dirty' so taking pictures at the moment is a bit of a silly idea, i will try and upload some once ive given it a good clean.

I had a similar problem with my Runner.

theoperators
12-10-2009, 10:02 AM
do you think i will have a problem selling with no MOT? (Ran out november)

Dom.C
12-10-2009, 10:10 AM
do you think i will have a problem selling with no MOT? (Ran out november)

Makes things a whole lot easier if it has got an MOT because they can ride it away.

theoperators
12-10-2009, 10:26 AM
True, but should it effect sale price much?

Dom.C
12-10-2009, 02:48 PM
True, but should it effect sale price much?

It's more hassle so yeah, it will effect it. How much? I'm not sure.

It doesn't cost much for an MOT so you might as well chuck it in :)

maxiboi247
12-10-2009, 02:55 PM
swap ya for an xl125 (:

bourney2007
12-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I would get it MOT'd.

For the price of an MOT you may aswell, it looks better on the ad and at least shows that the bike is deemed safe to ride on the road.

If it fails you could either fix it or sell it on as a fail. If it does fail you've just dug yourself a hole.
Fixing it can be expensive if you can't do it yourself (but from reading your posts i bet you could) and selling it having failed it's MOT looks bad, saying that you don't need to tell them it's failed do you.

Old Geezer
12-11-2009, 02:52 AM
If you are going for a classified, and know that thre bike is good, I would suggest advertising it as new MOT obtained for buyer. Take a deposit before getting the MOT. Then you don't have to finance it, and they get a real 12 months, instead of it sitting outside your place eating into the year.

theoperators
12-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Cheers for the replys guys, i will get my act together and slap a MOT on it. :)

Dom.C
12-11-2009, 05:46 AM
Cheers for the replys guys, i will get my act together and slap a MOT on it. :)

Good man.

theoperators
12-11-2009, 05:49 AM
problem being my front brake light switch has gone and new ones are a good 22 quid or somthing like that :\

Old Geezer
12-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Don't think that will fail it, particularly if you take it off. Only a rear is compulsory.

theoperators
12-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Just gave the MOT centre a ring, front brake light has to be fitted and working on all bikes / mopeds after a certain year. :bond:

Old Geezer
12-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Just gave the MOT centre a ring, front brake light has to be fitted and working on all bikes / mopeds after a certain year. :bond:

Ah, that's me being old then. I'd have it apart, and see if I could bodge it. There's a lot I would bodge to save 22. Spring from biro, bent paper clip, bob's your uncle!

Aprilia af1
12-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Very true, the year is 1986 if not 1985. Because i had to get one fitted to pass the MOT for my af1 50.

bourney2007
12-11-2009, 07:51 PM

yep, only on the proper old bikes you don't need a front brake light switch.

As i said in another thread mate, it's just a universal switch. Take it off, take it to a local bike shop and i bet they have one dead cheap.