PDA

View Full Version : BadNews/Good News

Hitman
02-21-2004, 02:11 AM
Tossed my bike down the road, then into the gravel at Willow Springs last week and thought you guys would want to know what worked and what didn't.

First off: TCM Rear Sets worked great. You can barely tell the peg went into the asphalt where it did. I actually used the mark as a turn in point for the rest of the weekend, so you can imagine how hard the peg was driven in. If your wondering which rear sets to buy you won't be disappointed with these.

Sharkskinz: Held up well. No stress cracks, one pretty nice scrape through the bellypan though, but all easily repairable. Thankfully the new paint goes on in March.

Frame Sliders: Probably saved the majority of my fairing. Sad I had to test em as Ed is now searching for a single side rather than a set.

Clutch/Lever: Lever broke where it should have, but tech wouldn't allow it so had to find one in L.A. at a Duc dealership. Interestingly they are very similar to the 999, but there is stamped # noting the Aprilia lever as a 7.5 and the Duc lever as an 8. Good enough to get through 2 races though. Unfortunately I was experiencing some of the clutch problems from previous posts. Spoke with my dealer though and forcing the bubble out solved it.

Left Exhaust Can: Toast. Lucky thing the aftermarket can wasn't fitted yet.

All in all a pretty lucky get-off. I don't recommend crashing one of these but they hold up really well.

mille-ryan
02-21-2004, 02:51 AM
Hey that sucks man, at least you were at the track, and ok I presume?

Thunder Factory
02-21-2004, 03:41 AM
I'll take the good news as the fact your able to send this post.

Never like hearing about a bike going down, but the feedback is always useful.

Hope you get things sorted.

:peace:

fastbydrmike
02-21-2004, 06:42 AM
Hitman, did you loose the front? What happened. Also did you lower your triple clamps? I am trying to decide if I should do this or not!

Thanks,

Mike

clarkie49
02-21-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Hitman
Tossed my bike down the road, then into the gravel at Willow Springs last week and thought you guys would want to know what worked and what didn't.

First off: TCM Rear Sets worked great. You can barely tell the peg went into the asphalt where it did. I actually used the mark as a turn in point for the rest of the weekend, so you can imagine how hard the peg was driven in. If your wondering which rear sets to buy you won't be disappointed with these.

Sharkskinz: Held up well. No stress cracks, one pretty nice scrape through the bellypan though, but all easily repairable. Thankfully the new paint goes on in March.

Frame Sliders: Probably saved the majority of my fairing. Sad I had to test em as Ed is now searching for a single side rather than a set.

Clutch/Lever: Lever broke where it should have, but tech wouldn't allow it so had to find one in L.A. at a Duc dealership. Interestingly they are very similar to the 999, but there is stamped # noting the Aprilia lever as a 7.5 and the Duc lever as an 8. Good enough to get through 2 races though. Unfortunately I was experiencing some of the clutch problems from previous posts. Spoke with my dealer though and forcing the bubble out solved it.

Left Exhaust Can: Toast. Lucky thing the aftermarket can wasn't fitted yet.

All in all a pretty lucky get-off. I don't recommend crashing one of these but they hold up really well.

dude that sucks!

what turn was it?

gee, now you are just going to have to get the motor done like we talked about :D

Hitman
02-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys. Just a bit of road rash on the fore arm where the Spidi suit came apart. And not at the seams. The leather separated.

Funny Clarkie, I was thinkin' the same thing on my way back to the pits. Unfortunately the schedules pretty packed so will have to be the end of the year. Nothing like reading your posts though to remind me to kick myself for not doing it in the first place.

Yeah Mike front end tuck, but unfortunately no lesson to learn as someone had done a nice job oilinthe exit of 4 and entry to turn 5 before I got there. Oddly enough they wouldn't tell me who they black flagged. Not sure I've heard anything about messing w/ the triples...what is it supposed to do? I can tell you this though, Willow Springs is a fast track. And the bike works exceptionally well there.

Gotta tail eye view of DRKNOW as he was motoring past me on several practice runs and was leading in both of our races. that was pretty cool. Also liked seeing two 04's on the grid.