PDA

View Full Version : Heated grips and solar battery charger

phidauex
02-19-2004, 01:38 AM
I took this afternoon's sunny weather as an excuse to do some accessorizing. I put on a set of Dual-Star heated grip pads, Pro-grip gel grips, and a solar battery charger.

The dual star kit went on easy at first, but the wiring was a mess. I ended up getting an automotive relay, tapping the relay into the ignition switch line, and using the relay to send power to the heated grips switch, straight from the battery. And it is a bitch working in the SR's dash. Damn. However, the kit is quite nice. It has two heat levels, and doesn't use resistors to change the level, meaning no power is wasted. they are fairly efficient, running around 18W on low and 20 something on high. The kit is right around 30$ (though this one was actually a valentines gift).

I bought a new set of grips because I was wanting some anyway, they came in a nice two tone red/black, and it is easier to cut the old grips off and put on new ones than it is to remove the old grips and reuse them, though that is certainly a possibility. The grips were 10 bucks.

The solar charger is from harbor freight tools, and was on sale for 12 dollars. It produces a few watts, and will happily trickle charge a battery that is out in the sun. It fits under the seat compartment when not in use. I wired a plug right to the battery (inserting a diode in the positive line, to prevent the battery from discharging into the solar cell in dim light), and then I can just plug the cell in to the dangling cord under the battery compartment to start charging.

All in all, a productive day. Pictures coming, once its actually light outside again.

Dual-Star: http://www.dual-star.com
Pro-Grips: http://www.progrip.com/default.asp?tip=3&ite=gri (I got this one, but in red)
Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com

Peace,
Sam

MOLECULAR-SR50
02-19-2004, 07:16 AM
a little trick I learned for replacing grip's...........apply aerosol hairspray when remounting......they slip on and tack up...just position where u want them and let dry for 30 min's or so....I like my new grip's less fatigue I'll post photo later:peace:

NeoGeniX
02-19-2004, 08:10 AM
I'm also thinking about getting those progrips, they look pretty sweet...do u like them?

phidauex
02-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I like them so far. They are pretty nice dual compound, with a firmer substance below, and gel on top. I haven't ridden much on them yet, but so far they seem like an improvement over stock.

One thing to note is that they come with the end hole bored out for a bar end. I've been planning on getting a simple set of bar ends anyway for vibration, but if you don't want bar ends, just be aware that you'll have a hole there, or you'll need to put some sort of plug in.

peace,
sam

Haribolman
02-20-2004, 01:47 AM
it is easier to cut the old grips off and put on new ones than it is to remove the old grips and reuse them, though that is certainly a possibility.

I've wondered about this! I bought a set of replacement grips but never fitted them because it seemed like the original grips were held on with cement!! What's the best way to remove them (apart from using dynamite!)

phidauex
02-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Replacing your grips is easy, here is the basic idea:

Get a nice sharp knife, one of those refillable utility knives would be perfect. Slice lengthwise down the grip, cutting as much as you can. Then just peel it open, and pull it off. Do this on both sides.

Use some alcohol to clean off the bars, then spray some hairspray on them, and inside the grips. Also, you can just use some alcohol on the inside of the grips and on the bars. Or you can use actual grip glue. Or epoxy. I find it holds great with just alcohol for lubrication, no glue. But hairspray is popular.

Slide the grips on, using a twisting motion. Remember that the throttle side grip and the non-throttle side have different sized holes, make sure you put the grip on the correct side. Make sure it is seated all the way down, and wait a while to make sure that the glue/alcohol dries fully, at least a couple hours.

Thats it!

peace,
sam

Haribolman
02-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks Sam.

So let's see...I need alcohol or hairspray...hmmm, I'm a non-drinker with a shaved head...this could be a challenge!! :D

phidauex
02-20-2004, 09:56 PM
I don't mean alcohol like vodka, but like isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol, from the drug store. You probably have some in your medicine cabinet.

peace,
sam

Haribolman
02-21-2004, 12:24 AM
You're gonna luv this...I don't have a medicine cabinet!! I don't need one cause I never get sick!! That's what being a non-drinking, non-smoking spiritual vegan does for you!!

And nope, no products containing alcohol in any form in this house and proud of it!! (I'll ask my parents for some!!)

phidauex
02-21-2004, 01:36 AM
Hey man, I do the no-dead-animal thing too, and live a pretty damn healthy life, but if you are an active person, you need disinfectants! Working with tools, riding mountain bikes, scooting, carpentry, etc, are all things that eventually result in getting cuts and scrapes, and you should clean that up! All the yoga in the world won't get the bacteria out of a cut. ;)

Lol, being alcohol free is all well and good, but isopropyl alcohol is a different thing completely. Its not like people at AA meetings get rid of their rubbing alcohol, its a different chemical. If you drank it, you'd just throw it up, not get drunk. Being proud that you don't have rubbing alcohol is weird.

I know what you are. You are just a bum, without a medicine cabinet! I used to live in a van, and I still had rubbing alcohol in my first aid kit! A van, you hear me? It was even down by a river.

Anyway, get yourself some isopropyl, it will cost you 80 cents at the drug store. When you cut the hell out of yourself with that knife trying to get your grips off, you'll be glad to have something to clean up the wound. And if you don't maim yourself, you can use the alcohol to put the grips on.

peace,
sam

Haribolman
02-21-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by phidauex
All the yoga in the world won't get the bacteria out of a cut. ;)

No it won't, but it will help take your mind off it!! ;)

Being proud that you don't have rubbing alcohol is weird.
That's what my therapist said too. Do you know him? :p:

I know what you are. You are just a bum
Actually no...I can't even afford a bum!!!!! I spend all my money on the 'prilia! So this is an alcohol-free, bum-free household (and unlike your previous existence I'm not down by a river....I'm bloody-well in it mate!!) :D

ditechspain
02-22-2004, 04:53 AM
If you ahve a problem with alcohol of any type, try using washing up liquid instead of the alcohol. It works pretty well as a lube.

I mean, you can't have any objections to washing up plates cups and glasses, can you?

Haribolman
02-22-2004, 05:56 AM
You're not going to believe this....

I'm not making this up....

this is fair dinkum....

here goes...

I don't have dishwashing liquid!!

I have a dishwasher and I use tablets in it...no liquid!!

Yup...I'm weird!!

ditechspain
02-22-2004, 09:28 AM
I would suggest shampoo but you're probably bald. Soap is probably also a no no for a religious reasons as well. i take it you live on your own?

srditech/repsol
02-22-2004, 09:52 AM
is there not anything better for u guys to talk about??? jus go get some washing up liquid it costs like 50 p!

NeoGeniX
02-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Well for cleaning parts I use "wasbenzine" it works great on everything.

phidauex
02-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Lol, look around your house, I'm sure you can find something to use. Or go over to your neighbor and say, "Hey mate, can I borrow a few teaspoons of rubbing alcohol?"

Anyway, just so people know, I've had several chances to use the heated grips so far, and they work great. They heat up pretty quick, and feel very comfortable. The amount of heat is very even between the two hands (though the throttle side heats up a tiny bit faster). I'm glad I put them on, and they were definitely worth the small expense.

peace,
sam