PDA

View Full Version : should i be concerned?

thehunter
08-16-2009, 08:13 PM
just did my first engine and tranny oil change at 100 miles after initial break in. i measured my engine oil when i drained it and it was just at 1200ml, so i was ok w/ that. but i measured my tranny oil at 720ml, and it should be 525 right? I assume the dealer overfilled it? that's comforting. is there a purge valve for the tranny? could that damage anything?

part 2. i noted a few ounces of oil in my skidplate when I took it off. the oil looked new though, and the oil i drained was dirty and brownish. could this be when they primed the oil filter and some just spilled in there? i did see a single drop near the case halves, but they drop looked new and clear too. fyi i have an 08 w/ black sealant.

part 3. i idled the bike for a few minutes after i refilled everything and drove it for about a mile. i noticed i had no oil in the sight tube. some threads lead me to believe this is common? I guess i need to drive it some more?

my fcv piston looked nice and shiny... didn't touch it.

nicogc
08-17-2009, 12:17 AM
normally it takes a long time for the oil to show in the sight tube. if you let it warm for about 6 - 7 minutes the fan will come on and then you'll see the oil in the sight tube.

thehunter
08-18-2009, 09:28 AM
bump, anyone?