PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia racing foam filter from AF1

thehunter
08-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Anyone using this? I just put it on my 08 and it doesn't seem right. It's supposed to be a compression fit but it basically just acts as a loose cover, it can lift right off with minimal force. It seems in theory something should be sinching it tight. Am i missing something?

Allen Noland
08-15-2009, 07:10 PM
The AF1 filter comes with a bracket that mounts to the airbox. The Aprilia Racing filter comes with a wire frame and uses the airbox lid to hold it in place. Be careful if you have the Aprilia Racing one in an '08. You need to shorten the center wire on that frame a little bit. Sometimes they are too long and the linkage will hit it.

amauri
08-15-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't think the poster is talking about the AF1 filter, see this link:
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=4034

That is the Aprilia performance filter made by Twin Air, this is what we used on our VDB bikes last season.

To keep the lid in place securely, just use some small self-taping screws in the four holes on the edge of the lid.
Also, cut out the two oval holes as marked from the inside the lid.
Finally, remove the intake baffle plate.

IMO, this is the best filter/airbox setup.

Be careful if you have the Aprilia Racing one in an '08. You need to shorten the center wire that frame a little bit. Sometimes they are too long and the linkage will hit it.

True, the later filter kits we received came already modified this way.

Allen Noland
08-15-2009, 09:56 PM
To keep the lid in place securely, just use some small self-taping screws in the four holes on the edge of the lid.
Also, cut out the two oval holes as marked from the inside the lid.
Finally, remove the intake baffle plate.

IMO, this is the best filter/airbox setup.

This is the setup we're using on the RXVs for off-road racing too, without cutting the holes in the cover. Ours fill up with mud if we do that.:eek:

amauri
08-15-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm glad our SM bikes never got that dirty :)

fredgreen
08-16-2009, 01:00 AM
I use K&N filters in the mud and dust. I cut the holes and think the filter dosen't get as dirt, just sucks more hot air. And those scoops are like vacum cleaners and you bring half the bush home with you.

I have one of these aswell in the pics and only used it once, worst motorbike filter i ever came across.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st2/851369_d.jpg
http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st2/851369.jpg

tbeyer
08-16-2009, 05:39 AM
The above filter is a twinair made for Aprilia. I have that as well and did Fred, only used it once. I did not like it and I am not using the AF1 on an 08 RXV with no fitment problems. I like the K&N as well but you can't beat the AF1 for dust IMO.

tbeyer
08-16-2009, 05:40 AM
Correction, I am using the AF1, NOT was a misprint.

fredgreen
08-16-2009, 06:02 AM
I like the K&N as well but you can't beat the AF1 for dust IMO.

We have dust and shit loads of it, stuff all rain. And have never found any dust on the inside of the K&N.

I think by removing the lip you would suck too much hot air off the engine for a rxv. Alright if your doing 100 mph all the time around the race track and not stopping and starting alot.

tbeyer
08-16-2009, 09:51 AM
As I said, I like them both and have both. I have not experienced any overheating issues even at 95 degrees and dusty. Thanks for the compliment but I have not driven 100 mph since I was 19 in my Trans Am!!! I do start and stop alot and have not had any issues with the AF1. With that said I think they are both great.

thehunter
08-16-2009, 12:09 PM
The filter is advertised as "replacing the top cover of the airbox" though. It says the 6 little pins act to secure the filter using a compression fit. The filter extends over the bottom lip of the airbox, i don't even think you could get the airbox cover back on.

irie
08-16-2009, 12:25 PM
The Pipercross filter is far more substantial than any of the above, has a larger filtration area, fits really snugly into the airbox without any need for screws or bolts, and the airbox top can be completely dispensed with.

I would absolutely not use anything else.

Allen Noland
08-16-2009, 12:32 PM
The filter is advertised as "replacing the top cover of the airbox" though. It says the 6 little pins act to secure the filter using a compression fit. The filter extends over the bottom lip of the airbox, i don't even think you could get the airbox cover back on.

We've been using this filter for almost 3 years. The 6 pins are just to hold the filter to the frame. The airbox lid is used to hold everything in place.