PDA

View Full Version : noob question #2 - RXV ignition key

irondoc
08-13-2009, 09:02 PM
hi guys

just bought a 2008 RXV - and i bought it for the wrong reasons - it is going to be used to ride around the city and the occasional jaunt.

it came with that push button ignition on the left hand side. is there an easy way of putting some sort of ignition key there?

i've looked throught he posts and seen stuff on kill switches, etc, and i guess that was going to be my backup plan, but if there is some way of putting a keyed ignition in i would prefer that for when it is parked up aroud the city

cheers
lucas

slowrider
08-13-2009, 09:04 PM
thats funny my 07 rxv has a keyed ignition?

irondoc
08-13-2009, 10:01 PM
i think the models before 2008 came with the bigger dash and an ignition key

soyrico
08-14-2009, 12:14 AM
What no key on the RXV 08??? The MXV is understandable but the RXV.

tbeyer
08-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Should have a key ignition switch and your start button should be on the right side. Key ignition is next to the dash board.

SXVINWA
08-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Hey irondoc, how about posting a pic of your controls?

irondoc
08-14-2009, 01:58 AM
i will post a pic over the weekend. there is a steering lock only on the right hand side. the left hand side has a grey button that you push and a light and the ignition comes on.

fredgreen
08-14-2009, 03:18 AM
the left hand side has a grey button that you push and a light and the ignition comes on.

This is what i want for my rxv.

I sheared both ends off the ignition barrel in a crash and it's a pain in the ass with a plug to turn the bike on and off

Bah73
08-14-2009, 04:47 AM
The 08 RXV comes with a keyed steering lock on the side of the tripple clamp stem. You need to make sure its sealed with sillicon or grease or water and dirt can get into your headset bearings through here. There is a button hidden on the left side that acts as an electrical isolator and then you have your typical engine start button. I like it cause you dont need your key to use the bike. Unless you want to engage the steering lock which I never do anyway. My sugestion would be to buy a good wheel lock,.

MBevans
08-14-2009, 08:09 AM
The 08 RXV comes with a keyed steering lock on the side of the tripple clamp stem. You need to make sure its sealed with sillicon or grease or water and dirt can get into your headset bearings through here. There is a button hidden on the left side that acts as an electrical isolator and then you have your typical engine start button. I like it cause you dont need your key to use the bike. Unless you want to engage the steering lock which I never do anyway. My sugestion would be to buy a good wheel lock,.

USA spec bikes do not come with this, I wish they did, I hate keys!