PDA

View Full Version : Why shouldn't I buy an SXV?

stueysdad
08-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Hey all, I have read up on the SXV and I fear that although I love it, it is a time bomb and cash toilet all wrapped up in a beautiful package. If looking at used ones should I make sure to stay away from 07's and older? What are the obvious things that should make me say 'I'm out' if I'm shopping. Also, were there any improvements in the 09 package or is it the same old same old? Sorry to ask the same questions again, I'm just looking for someone to talk me out of it cause every time I see one I get all drooly. Also, what's the fuel range on one that's been derestricted and remapped? Currently riding a Drz 400sm and am craving more of everything a bike should do.

Cheers,

T:worship:

drift3r
08-07-2009, 01:22 AM
get a sxv 450, more reliable than the 550, i got the 550 tho for like 300 bucks more why not. Just make sure u do all your oil changes, best bike allround i think

fredgreen
08-07-2009, 03:19 AM
if you are that worried, don't i would buy second hand one.

get a sxv 450, more reliable than the 550, i got the 550 tho for like 300 bucks more why not. Just make sure u do all your oil changes, best bike allround i think

why is the 450 more reliable than the 550? I would of thought it wouldn't matter, either engine isn't even near it limit out the crate. Both should be reliable as, if put together right.

Allen Noland
08-07-2009, 06:31 AM
There is no reason not to buy one! You can't go wrong with the '08 or '09, unless you get it from someone who doesn't know how to properly derestrict it and do the initial set-up.

why is the 450 more reliable than the 550? I would of thought it wouldn't matter, either engine isn't even near it limit out the crate. Both should be reliable as, if put together right.

:plus: I've seen the same issues in both 450 and 550, but more 550's with problems. Around here that is directly related to the number of each size sold. We average 10-15 SXV 550's to every SXV 450 that goes out the door. The RXV's average about 3 to 1 in favor of the 550.

adrenaline21
08-07-2009, 06:46 AM
There is no reason not to buy one! You can't go wrong with the '08 or '09, unless you get it from someone who doesn't know how to properly derestrict it and do the initial set-up.

^^^^ Correct ... I do some track days a year with mine, I also ride it on the street. Great hooligan bike! LOL! I am sure some other SXV junkies will chime in as well!

I have almost 3000 miles my SXV 550 and the only problem I had was the dealer's limited knowledge. I would tell you to READ as much as you can and pick everybody's brain on this forum as these guys are a webster's dictionary of knowledge!

You might want to call/email some of the knowledge experts and tell them your concerns ... All and all the bike has NO equal for what is was designed for ...OOOPS, did I say that?

fredgreen
08-07-2009, 08:28 AM
have another go at it

if your that worried don't buy a second hand one, go buy a new SXV. Then you would be pretty safe, what could go wrong

jphillips
08-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Also, what's the fuel range on one that's been derestricted and remapped?

Mine was de-restricted not sure about re-mapped tho..and my fuel light comes on around 55 or 60 mi mark...depends on how you've been riding

proslider
08-07-2009, 09:46 AM
As Alan said finding a knowledgable dealer is the first key. I did my own derestriction to help become familar with the bike, and then took it back to the dealer for the new map. If you do you own DON'T EVEN START THE BIKE WITHOUT THE NEW MAP!

Second is developing a routine maintenance schedule. Since I do only twisty mountain roads I have settled on a 500 mile interval with new filter each time. I was shooting for 800 but based on what I saw coming out of the tranny fell back to 500.

I went to a 42 tooth rear sprocket and get about 35mpg overall.

I bought an '09 new in March based on a great deal.

It is a unique bike with its own set of quirks, but none of them overshadow its smile factor.

KANE
08-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I haven't had very good luck yet with mine but I am not giving up just yet. i traded my CBR for an 07 550 with an 08 motor. First trackday the clutch went, replaced with a Barnett. Second trackday the head gasket blew, I still need to fix that. Looking back I think the head gasket went because I was bouncing off the rev limiter way to often on a long left hander that I had trouble working out the right gear for that corner. The clutch I think was premature but the head gasket was all my riding style. These are great second bikes in my opinion. I have a Tuono for my main ride and love having both for different reasons.

RZRob
08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Don't buy one until you check with your doctor and make sure your heart is ready for an SXV. These things can cause a major rush.

RZ Rob

stueysdad
08-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Wow, quick and thorough responses, thanks. So, if I read this right I should get the SXV and use it for city, track duty and hang onto my DRZ for the long day rides and weekends away. Yeah, now I gotta convince the wife that it makes sense to have a thoroughbred hot rod that only gets used once in a while. Maybe I should just go with the 450 kit for my DRZ. Not!

what's this about the sealant between the case halves? Sounds like a major headache if it's orange.

Cheers,

T

Thanks for the replies, on Thumpertalk I wouldn't have gotten a smackdown for asking the same questions. "Search the site!" they would have yelled.:burnout:

Allen Noland
08-07-2009, 02:17 PM
I'd probably use the DRZ for the city stuff and the SXV for everything else.

Orange sealant is not used on the '08 and up bikes.

Mooseknuckles
08-07-2009, 02:34 PM
except the highway!

I'll be moving to Vancouver in a few months... I'm looking forward to some of those mountian roads!!!

MBevans
08-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Wow, quick and thorough responses, thanks. So, if I read this right I should get the SXV and use it for city, track duty and hang onto my DRZ for the long day rides and weekends away. Yeah, now I gotta convince the wife that it makes sense to have a thoroughbred hot rod that only gets used once in a while. Maybe I should just go with the 450 kit for my DRZ. Not!

what's this about the sealant between the case halves? Sounds like a major headache if it's orange.

Cheers,

T

Thanks for the replies, on Thumpertalk I wouldn't have gotten a smackdown for asking the same questions. "Search the site!" they would have yelled.:burnout:

Many on the street are getting 35mpg with the 550. Most newer 2008-09's have a 12 liter tank, which means you are looking for a gas station in 75 miles. There will be 20 liter tanks available soon if needed. But getaways for a couple of nights, for me on the RXV550 I do 2-day enduro trips with mine, no issues except for knowing where the next petrol stations are, and with the 20 liter tank I'll just go farther.....

As stated if the bike is setup right, the only problem you will have is wiping the Sh*t-eaten grin from your face "all the damn time"......:cheers:

M

Hunterdobe
08-07-2009, 07:22 PM
except the highway!

I'll be moving to Vancouver in a few months... I'm looking forward to some of those mountian roads!!!

The Sea to Sky Highway has been paved for the 2010 oly and wow is it perfect. Up and down between the twisties all the way from Vancouver to Whistler. you'll love it! And I even saw a shiver boot past me last week. PS there are quite a few more ponies available from the 550, if it is the same engine with bigger bore and T.B's does that extra torque wear the engine out that much faster?

stueysdad
08-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Mooseknuckle, you need to do the Sea to Sky yes. But that is just the start. Continue past Whistler into Pemberton then hang a right and head to Lillooet on the Duffy Lake road. It is a Supermoto dream. Starts off with uphill hairpins for a few K and then proceeds to twist and turn it's way east through high mountain meadows, alpine lakes and glaciers. Mind blowing. But here's the kicker, they just paved it two and a half weeks ago. Blacktop doesn't even have lines on it yet it's so fresh. I've been meaning to do the Duffy for many years and it didn't disappoint. The ride to Whistler is fun but don't stop there or you'll miss the magic. No joke, it's unbelievable.

Expect to be exhausted, and budget the whole day cause it's 640km round trip.

Cheers,

T:cheers:

CDNSXV
08-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Dad, come out to the RPM National at the Tradex at the end of the month. There will be several SXV's out racing.

Expect to be exhausted, and budget the whole day cause it's 640km round trip.

I've done that ride on a sportbike and it was a very long day. An SXV would be a seriously painful experience after a few hundred Km's.

Mooseknuckles
08-09-2009, 12:54 AM
If that's the case... BUY THE SXV!!! Do some homework on here about the bike so you know what you’re in for, and, buy an 08/09 if you can. You'll find Aprilia has solved many of the issues discussed here endlessly with the newer bikes. Also, for both of us, find a good dealer with mechanic(s) who know these bikes specifically! It's very important to have a place to take it, where it will get setup, tuned, and, fixed properly. I would call this bike "maintenance intensive" as a street bike. As such, I would suggest buying a modest stock of "consumables" so you’re not stuck waiting on parts, delaying maintenance intervals. Consumables would include; motor oil, trans oil, oil filters, coolant, PCV valves, and a set of clutch plates would be a good idea, maybe even a set of tire tubes, all good things to have on hand. None of these things are too expensive, and, are what you would have on hand if you were riding a high end MX bike, which I think this bike is most comparable too, in terms of maintenance. In return you get more smiles per mile than anything on two wheels. Also a track day monster with a bit of suspension tuning, maybe a few bucks depending on your weight, and, a Pikes Peak hill climb winning race bike if you’re willing to drop a few grand. Plus it makes you the coolest MoFo riding those twisty roads, especially, I think because most people won’t know it. “Is that a dirt bike? With street tires?”

Allen Noland
08-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Plus it makes you the coolest MoFo riding those twisty roads, especially, I think because most people won’t know it. “Is that a dirt bike? With street tires?”

Hearing a kid on a GSX-R telling his friends "Damn, I thought I was carving it up, until some old dude on a friggin dirt-bike passed me halfway down the mountain " makes it worth every penny!

stueysdad
08-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes I did the Duffy on my DRZ and my ass still hasn't forgiven me:devil:. She tops out at 145kmh right now with the 15/41 gearing I have. Looong day. And yes it was nice to walk away from a GSX-R and several others with my 37HP dirtbike. The only guy who stuck with me(for a while) was my friend on a shiver. He also said later he was at his limit. I'm no pro but these bikes sure make it easy to push, especially at turn in and for late braking. Especially with the Braking rotor I just popped on.

It's official, I'm looking for a used SXV, probably bring one up from Seattle as there don't seem to be many here in VAN. Mooseknuckle, the only place I know of carrying them is British Italian on Powell in Vancouver. There are a couple of places up the valley but I haven't been there yet.

Cheers,

T

P.S. I was thinking of entering the Novice class at the Tradex and see how I do.

CDNSXV
08-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Blackfoot motorsports in Calgary has some SXV's. All the ones I have seen come from them have the black case sealant so those motors should be OK. They also have an Aprilia trained tech who works on the bikes so setup and everything else is done properly.

Buying from Alberta you save the provincial sales tax.

I was thinking of entering the Novice class at the Tradex and see how I do.

A friend and I are coming down with our 550's to run the novice class for the national. Hopefully see you there.

stueysdad
08-09-2009, 10:07 PM
well, I'll need to rig up some sort of hook so I can get a tow when you guys blow by. Should bleed up the old brake too. Oh and some new tires, and 20 more hp and things should be alright. Will you be wearing the same kit as in your Avatar? I'll keep an eye out for a couple of prils with the blackfoot stickers. I bought a helmet from those guys some 16 years ago and was happy with the service so I should look into it again. How much is the sticker on a new one out your way?

Cheers,

T:cheers:

CDNSXV
08-10-2009, 12:35 AM
You are gonna need more than 20 additional HP to keep up with a 550. :) The Tradex track setup has a couple of good sized straights that let the Aprilia stretch its legs.

My avatar shows my street gear. On the track I am in full leathers. You won't have a problem finding us, we will be the only pit with a pair of 550's and AB licence plates.

Blackfoot was blowing the new 07's out for $8000 last time I was there.

stueysdad
08-10-2009, 10:56 AM
We haven't even met and you're knocking my skills, hold on I got to get a kleenex and mop the tears. Yeah, no kidding, on the straight your bike must just jump like a scalded cat. $8000 for an 07. Don't the 07's explode anytime you turn them on, ride them, or look at them funny? From what I've read here the '07 is the one to avoid. Having said that, do they still have any around?

Cheers, and I'll be looking for you at the track. I'll be wearing the TLD jersey with the Marushin helmet in flat black. It'll be the only one there, hard to miss.

T:burnout:

CDNSXV
08-10-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not knocking your skills. In fact my skills have a long way to go till can count myself as being competent on a supermoto. Just saying that the 550 is what you might call FAST down the straights. It definately makes up for my lack of skills. It is kind of fun to watch the DRZ guys fume when we go blowing past. ;)

The 07's at Blackfoot have 08 generation motors in them with the black sealant and the airbox mounted starting circuit.. Both mine and my buddy's have about 4000 kms on them and both have been flawless so far.

You'd have to call up Blackfoot and find out but I think they do. Ask to talk to Jay Fox. He is the most knowledgible sales guy there for the SXV. The rest of them are not worth talking to.

stueysdad
08-10-2009, 09:11 PM
CDN, judging from the photo your skills are just fine(unless that was a perfectly timed mistake). What is the top speed on that little beastie of yours? Guessin you must be able to pull damn near 200 with enough room. I will be calling blackfoot soon. Thanks for the info.

Mooseknuckle let ius know what you think of either of those roads when you get a chance to rock them. Take a camera too as the views are spectacular.

Cheers,

T:rambo:

CDNSXV
08-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Haha that pic shows the exact moment of no return. The next second me and the bike went ass over teakettle onto the pavement. No harm, no foul though so it was all a bit of a laugh.

Don't know how fast it goes as I have never topped it out. I have seen close to 180 on it so far. I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket which reduced the top end but has made it accelerate like a scaulded cat. It is a total beast now, trying to loft the front tire in the first three gears. :)

turbophil
08-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Great forum guys!!!

I've also been reading like mad about the SXVs. I've got one all lined up to purchase, but I'm stuck between an 08 550SXV and a KTM 525EXC. I really want/need to ability to set the bike up with both a motard and off-road setup. I know the EXC is great off road and I'm sure a bit compromised as a SUMO. My question is just how compromised the SXV is off-road??? Provided I have a set of dirt rims, will the SXV do well off-road? ... or do I need to get an RXV swing arm to for the narrower rear rim? Would I need an RXV front disc and adapters to get the SXV caliper down to the RXV disc size too?

Surely somebody off-roads the SXV... Hope it's not too much of a thread jack, but I need some help on this one.

Thanks!

SXVINWA
08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Swinger isn't the problem... Countershaft is. Seems the easiest thing to do is have a rear wheel laced up. Then comes the front brake issue you mentioned. Then there are the suspension and gearbox differences to consider. May cost more than it is worth for a dirt-able motard IMO. I was looking into it myself since I have some wheels sitting around. Maybe someone has come up with a workable option recently.

bafflebrain
08-11-2009, 05:24 PM
except the highway!

Hey Moose, send me a message when you get to Vancouver. We can go for a rip in my neck of the woods and maybe get you out to a track day or two at Mission Raceway.

bafflebrain
08-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Yes I did the Duffy on my DRZ and my ass still hasn't forgiven me:devil:. She tops out at 145kmh right now with the 15/41 gearing I have. Looong day. And yes it was nice to walk away from a GSX-R and several others with my 37HP dirtbike. The only guy who stuck with me(for a while) was my friend on a shiver. He also said later he was at his limit. I'm no pro but these bikes sure make it easy to push, especially at turn in and for late braking. Especially with the Braking rotor I just popped on.

It's official, I'm looking for a used SXV, probably bring one up from Seattle as there don't seem to be many here in VAN. Mooseknuckle, the only place I know of carrying them is British Italian on Powell in Vancouver. There are a couple of places up the valley but I haven't been there yet.

Cheers,

T

P.S. I was thinking of entering the Novice class at the Tradex and see how I do.

Check with RIV since I don't think the SXV is on the allowed list. Cdn Dealers are able to bring them in but I am not sure about personally importing one.

Valley Yamaha in Chilliwack is clearing out a SXV and RXV 5.5s for around 8k each.

http://www.valleyyamaha.ca/featured-items/1/Featured%20Items.html

Good luck and we may see each other on the road, at Tradex or Mission.

stueysdad
08-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Cool on the chilliwack shop. I'll have to escape the family and get out there. I'll give em a call first. Would love to get out to Tradex as all the track time I've had this year has been at the go kart track in Tsawassen. It's good fun with 19 turns in 54 secs but it does get a bit boring without anyone else to ride with/ against. Also, it's so intense I find that arm pump defeats me in about 10 laps. Thanks for the heads up and I'll be looking for sxv's at Tradex for sure.

Cheers,

T:)

CDNSXV
08-12-2009, 12:25 AM
You want to make darn sure that whatever dealer you buy from knows how to properly set up the bike. Setup and derestriction is CRITICAL with these bikes. No deal is worth getting a bike that is not properly sorted from the get-go.

proslider
08-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Swinger isn't the problem... Countershaft is. Seems the easiest thing to do is have a rear wheel laced up. Then comes the front brake issue you mentioned. Then there are the suspension and gearbox differences to consider. May cost more than it is worth for a dirt-able motard IMO. I was looking into it myself since I have some wheels sitting around. Maybe someone has come up with a workable option recently.

Those points are well made. Its actually how I ended up buying my 300 for the woods. Tradeing wheel back and forth on the 520 was alright but due to chain length sprocket combinations were limited. I found myself in the middle with the bike geared too short for the road and taller than I wanted for the tight woods stuff. Then you had to go back and forth on the suspension adjustments. Its a workable solution for someone who casually does both and doesn't want to invest in another bike, but having a purpose tuned bike increases the fun factor and eliminates the hassle factor.

stueysdad
08-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Baffle nice shot of the lean over baby! Yeah moose, let us know and maybe we could rock a group ride. As for dirting the SXV, screw it just by a DRZ E model and use that instead. Bulletproof reliability and fun factor with more than enough power with out the need to swap the shit over every time. They are also dirt cheap used.

Cheers,

T

CDNSXV
08-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Check with RIV since I don't think the SXV is on the allowed list.

SXV is allowed, I raced mine there last year and I see pics of someone racing the series with one this year.

stueysdad
08-18-2009, 01:15 AM
cdnsxv, what is the website for the tradex racing? I tried united rpm but that ain't working.

Cheers,

T

CDNSXV
08-18-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.rpmsupermoto.com/

stueysdad
08-20-2009, 11:05 AM
See above. Hopefully I'll bump into you at the races. Is there a practice/qualifying day on Sat or not? Also, tried to get an SXV off a guy in Seattle but he sold it out from under me. Oh well, buyer beware eh?

Cheers,:)

T

CDNSXV
08-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Hopefully I will have mine at Tradex. The fuel pump is acting up and it is in the shop at the moment. Regardless I will be there even if I have to ride my WR.

stueysdad
08-23-2009, 10:54 PM
saw your vid, good stuff. Don't you find the kart track an excellent training session? I love getting the workout so intensely in such a short time. Love the wheelie around the bend, classy.

Cheers,

T

bafflebrain
08-24-2009, 06:05 PM
SXV is allowed, I raced mine there last year and I see pics of someone racing the series with one this year.

2008 and up, yes. No SXV before 2008 allowed unless imported by the dealer.

MANUFACTURER ADMISSIBLE
APRILIA SPA

2000 Aprilia RSV Mille 1000

2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R

2002 AND 2003 Aprilia RST Futura

2003 Coponord 1000, SR50 (LSM)

2004 Scarabeo 50, SR50 (LSM), ETV 1000 Caponord, RSV Mille R, RSV Mille R Factory, Mojito 150, Atlantic 200, Scarabeo 500.

2005 TO 2007 Aprilia SR50

2008 and newer models

stueysdad
08-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Baffle, thanks for the info. Now, I have a question for all the ape fans here. Are Aprilias obvious and continuing quality control issues due to a general lack of management/expertise or, is it because they are such a small manufacturer that that they can't afford as much R&D as the big boys? I want one real bad, I just wonder if next years SXV will be better built or if a year's gonna make any difference. Replies please, it ain't like I can just throw away 6-9 grand on a lemon, regardless of how beautiful its peel.

Cheers,

T:soap:

tawheed
08-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Baffle, thanks for the info. Now, I have a question for all the ape fans here. Are Aprilias obvious and continuing quality control issues due to a general lack of management/expertise or, is it because they are such a small manufacturer that that they can't afford as much R&D as the big boys? I want one real bad, I just wonder if next years SXV will be better built or if a year's gonna make any difference. Replies please, it ain't like I can just throw away 6-9 grand on a lemon, regardless of how beautiful its peel.

Cheers,

I know how you feel.. I've been eying these things forever.. Bought a 2007 Husaberg FS550E for a while which was a beast itself.. But keep coming back to these things everytime I have some money to spend.. There's so much info out there and it seems like so many horror stories it's tough to bite the bullet..

Allen Noland
08-25-2009, 06:46 AM

Cheers,

I haven't seen any obvious or continuing QC issues. Many of the problems that were seen after these bike first came out were simply caused by a lack of understanding by both the dealers and the owners. The legitimate issues (case sealant, stator bolts) that were seen in the early bikes were resolved in the '08 and '09 models. With the exception of one head gasket and a couple oil pressure switches, most of the problems I've seen in the '08 and up models are still caused by improper setup and/or poor maintenance.

CDNSXV
08-25-2009, 10:46 AM
I've been eying these things forever.. Bought a 2007 Husaberg FS550E

Oh my god, are back here again? :)

Come-on, how much more prodding do you need. I even let you ride my bike and still can't make up your mind ........

wrx_02
08-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Same reason you shouldn't get a tatoo on your junk.

You can't handle it.... :happy::kidding:

tawheed
08-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Oh my god, are back here again? :)

Come-on, how much more prodding do you need. I even let you ride my bike and still can't make up your mind ........

I have potential to get a sweet deal on an '07 4.5 with black sealant and under 200 miles.. hence me being back LOL.. I figure if I can get a good enough deal on it then spending a few bucks on it wont be as big of an issue ;)

CDNSXV
08-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Whats wrong with the Berg? I was pretty impressed with it.

tawheed
08-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Sold the berg :)

bafflebrain
09-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I couldn't make Tradex for the last round but saw some Apes pics by a local photographer. Anyone here?

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p17789668

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p17789668/e32bb0ad7

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p17789668/e37c44511

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p17789668/e307c460d

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p17789668/h3c5c6269#h35d6396e

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p17789668/h3c5c6269#h2408083a

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p17789668/h3c5c6269#h2ad72f17

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p17789668/h3c5c6269#h21e59141

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p17789668/e3dc71d90

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p17789668/e3e5f792d

CDNSXV
09-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Number 5 or (15) is me.

Number 114 is my buddy John.

The two other guys were locals who were sharing the same bike.

It was a really good weekend. John finished 5th in Street Class and I won that race. We didn't do so well in our other class due to some serious brain farts occuring mid race. :bangwall:

bafflebrain
09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Number 5 or (15) is me.

Number 114 is my buddy John.

The two other guys were locals who were sharing the same bike.

It was a really good weekend. John finished 5th in Street Class and I won that race. We didn't do so well in our other class due to some serious brain farts occuring mid race. :bangwall:

Ah, so you're PC. The local street hooligans are after you for taking the win:P

by the way, here is a video of you taking the street class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR4VfU9qPGs

Kodiak AK
09-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Nice Vid. :burnout:
looks like a fun track.
Where was that track located??
:cheers:

CDNSXV
09-02-2009, 09:50 PM
If you are not the guy who came in second and took the video, then please let him know I think he ran an excellent race and with a better start, it'd have been a good battle between us the whole way. He did well to catch up as much as he did. That was a difficult track to pass on and you can see just how much the Aprilia pulls on the straights making it even harder to pass.

I am not good at leading and tend to get over-excited and make silly mistakes like overshoot corners etc. I am way better at chasing but winning is always fun. :cheers:

FWIW we really are street hooligans and only do about one or two races a year. The rest of the time is track nights and weekend hooligan rides. Stuff like this .....

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/Images/SumoStairs2.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/Images/UrbanSumo1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/Images/UrbanSumo3.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/Images/UrbanSumo5.jpg

bafflebrain
09-03-2009, 01:35 PM
If you are not the guy who came in second and took the video, then please let him know I think he ran an excellent race and with a better start, it'd have been a good battle between us the whole way. He did well to catch up as much as he did. That was a difficult track to pass on and you can see just how much the Aprilia pulls on the straights making it even harder to pass.

No I was not even there.

The guy you beat was grumbling about your bike pulling 8 lengths on the straight. That and something about you being a pro CMRA road racer :)

It look like fun what you're going. Next time you're in town join the Holligan gang for a Crackers and Binners ride. Every Sat or Sunday around 8pm meeting at Joe's on Commercial Drive in vancouver. I have been invited but have not parttaken any of those ride since I live on the Coast (no late ferry services). That and it'll be a while before I have the nerve to take my Ape down a flight of stairs or launch off a loading dock.

bafflebrain
09-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Nice Vid. :burnout:
looks like a fun track.
Where was that track located??
:cheers:

It is at Tradex Centre (trade and convention center), Abbotsford BC Canada. Basically a huge parking lot for the road course plus a dirt/jumps portion added on for the pro races.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXce2jZfVhk&feature=related

Mooseknuckles
09-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Killer! Me and my SX are moving out west sometime in early 2010. I'm super excited to join the party!

CDNSXV
09-04-2009, 11:49 AM
The guy you beat was grumbling about your bike pulling 8 lengths on the straight. That and something about you being a pro CMRA road racer

I can't help that the SXV is REALLY fast. :eek: But then his bike wasn't exactly slow either.

I have done some roadracing in the past but not for a bunch of years. And I had never ridden a dirtbike before buying the SXV last year so I am still trying to adapt to it and unlearn the years of sportbike experience. I am also 43 years old and weight about 230 lbs and from the way he rides I suspect he has done some racing as well so he has no real excuses for getting beat.

Its too bad he got a crap start cause it would have been a real knock down drag out race if the two of us had been closer in the first lap.

In the end racing is racing and sometimes you get beat.

tawheed
09-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Nothing more frustrating than having bikes pull on the straights after doing all the work in the corners.. You know what that's like coming from an SV Pete ;) I know it all too well having to have raced my DR-Z a couple of times.. yikes