PDA

View Full Version : Speed wobble

Hunterdobe
08-03-2009, 07:48 PM
There is plenty of info on here for SXV tires that aid in the speed wobble problem but what about for the RXV? I was following my buddy home from the track today and he pulled over to ask me what was going on with my front tire as is does really get jittery above 100KM/H I'm sure if I don't get this resolved it could end in an accident. I do have the stock Comp III on still, will a new set of something else make a difference or is it just the nature of the knobby???

fredgreen
08-03-2009, 08:57 PM
throw away the factory tyres, move the fork up in the clamps and more sag in the rear. That fixed my rxv. I had it flat out with no wobbles at 150+ kph

djtroy
08-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Make sure your steering stem nut is tight. They seem too loose from the factory.

Hunterdobe
08-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Increasing the sag in the rear won't lead to clearance problems? As this bike is already quite soft on a landing.

tbeyer
08-04-2009, 07:07 AM
I get the same problem and I know it is the tires out of balance. I have a teraflex rear and bridgestone mx front and it is real wobbly over 50mph. It grips the dirt well though where you don't notice it. I tried dynabeads without success. Plan to take them off, replace the tubes and have them balanced for me. Also plan to change to a 50/50 tire in the off season.

fredgreen
08-04-2009, 07:17 AM
I would put a good set of tyres on it first.

Those factory tyres are dead set dangerous and should be replace before leaving the dealership.

tbeyer
08-04-2009, 07:31 AM
I agree Fred. I think the tires are key. What are you running?

Hunterdobe
08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
XV asylum has a few recommendations, if they are available here I'll prolly consider one of those choices. Great to have others input, saves on the error side of trial and error.

spencer
08-04-2009, 07:04 PM
as someone else suggested....check the lock ring under the top triple clamp, mine wasnt even finger tight.

Hunterdobe
08-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Yup, it's snug and follows the forks without any play so I assume it's assembled properly. The wobble is just so bad that if I don't control the bars it would go wild, the stocker on the back is nearly slick after 2000km so buying a new set is in order.

MBevans
08-04-2009, 07:46 PM
There is plenty of info on here for SXV tires that aid in the speed wobble problem but what about for the RXV? I was following my buddy home from the track today and he pulled over to ask me what was going on with my front tire as is does really get jittery above 100KM/H I'm sure if I don't get this resolved it could end in an accident. I do have the stock Comp III on still, will a new set of something else make a difference or is it just the nature of the knobby???

Stock tire are garbage, I threw mine away at 32 miles, total. I now use Dunlop 606's front and rear because they are DOT street legal, 80mph and no wobbles at all. You can balance them, I have not. No issues with high speed stuff though....

Markee
08-04-2009, 08:31 PM
At speed on my SXV I had trouble with the wobbles . I found that hanging onto the bike tighter with my legs rather than hands helped heaps too.
I've also raised the rear, 16.5in front, 11mm offset clamps, trimmed rear of front fender and removed handguard plastics.

kimzx1000r
08-04-2009, 09:14 PM
on the rxv it helps to stay up on the tank. use the very most front of the seat on the road and at speeds above 70. Even on the stock tires this made a big difference.

Hunterdobe
08-05-2009, 06:53 AM
The fender has enough drag to lift the tire huh, If I trim it down then I guess rad gaurds are needed for the tight stuff where rocks come up...If only I hadn't bent them something might still fit:(

Hunterdobe
08-05-2009, 07:06 AM
The dunlop 606's look perfect, I like the highway useability factor. Guess I'll order them today so I can give my opinion next week.

proslider
08-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Do the RXVs have rim locks? If they do it would certainly make a huge difference to balance them. I balanced the tires on my 300 and its really smooth on pavement even up to 85 mph.

olepoop
08-05-2009, 09:58 AM
I guess I dont know what a good tire is, I ran the stock Michelins 1500 miles highway miles the first 3 days I owned the bike, then the rear another 400 miles in the rocks and dirt and the knobs never rounded off always a sharp edge and no cuts in the carcass ever. the front I ran over 3400 miles, The Pirelli MT 21 I placed on the rear cut the carcuss the first day I rode it on the mtn, not bad but it did get a cut plus it rounds off the knobs and is starting to chunk slightly. The front tire I replaced the stock tire was a 80-100-21 brand name escapes me right now but it tends not absorb embedded rock and tends bounce off and throws my front end away rather than absorbing the blow like the Michelin front tire did. Crap I don't think so. So if any of the experts have the stock Michelins that they can't use because they are crap send them to me, I'll run them. Just my opinion as you know everone has one.:bond:

Hunterdobe
08-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Well the 606's are paid for and will be installed and balanced on tuesday. I'll send you these as there are only 1500KM on them just please don't sue when you slide into oncomming

olepoop
08-07-2009, 07:26 AM
No, you can keep the rear you got the goody out of it. The front looks fair though. How many burn outs do you do on a regular basis??:bond:

Hunterdobe
08-07-2009, 03:49 PM
lol my gravel driveway is a 1/2 km so I rip up that and back everyday backtire screaming. I figure a few more tires and I'll have made my own asphalt.

Hunterdobe
08-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Proof is in the Rubber, The Dunlop 606's were installed today without balancing and they are a world of difference. Bearing in mind they are knobby they are quite smooth in comparison plus I hit speeds on the ride home I never could have reached with the stockers sans speed wobble. Furthermore I have as much grip off road if not more than I did when the Comp III's were new. All around decent for a couple hundred installed. So far yes I would recommend the D606.

proslider
08-11-2009, 03:20 PM
lol my gravel driveway is a 1/2 km so I rip up that and back everyday backtire screaming. I figure a few more tires and I'll have made my own asphalt.

:eek:

:cathat:

Hunterdobe
08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
yup the RXV does have a rim lock and I'm sure it weighs more than a couple ounces resulting in it being a weight of it's own. But balancing on a knobby would only be balanced for how long? These tire change shape so fast.

ETN550
08-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Balancing the weight of the rimlock would always cancel out that portion of the weight imbalance. I think overall it would be smoother even as the tire wears uneven or looses a knob or two. If the rimlock was not balance out and the tire wore heavy on that side it would be way out at that point!

Hunterdobe
08-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Damn it, now the tires are back on my ape which is home with me. Oh well any excuse for a rip up the expressway

proslider
08-12-2009, 08:32 AM
yup the RXV does have a rim lock and I'm sure it weighs more than a couple ounces resulting in it being a weight of it's own. But balancing on a knobby would only be balanced for how long? These tire change shape so fast.

Yeah, but they wear evenly enough not to make a big difference. I balance mine when they are first put on and never worry about rebalancing until the tires are replaced.