PDA

View Full Version : can you replace the airbox with a filter?

bikerx
08-01-2009, 01:07 AM
anybody try these on their mana to replace the airbox?

K&N Tapered Cone Air Filters
http://www.knfilters.com/images/m/RC-2290.jpg

pete roper
08-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Why??

bikerx
08-01-2009, 07:33 AM
freer flowing intake?

abouc
08-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Better sound too. Someone in the 500cc scooter forum had AF1 remove the airbox. It looks great. http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173153&highlight=mod

Check out the dyno video from Micah in the thread.

bikerx
08-01-2009, 05:11 PM
abouc, thanks for the heads up on that thread. that was the basic idea. that, plus an aftermarket can. i wonder if it would affect the throttle mapping though, and what hp gains could be had with this mod. water intrusion would be a worry though. didn't consider that.

pete roper
08-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Look, with respect a K&N is not a particularly brilliant filter, the paper element is much, much better. The Mana is NOT a high performance engine and it only has one, quite small, throttle body and a shared inlet manifold both of which will be 'Hampering' it's performance far more than what type of filter is used. It also has primary drive by a rubber belt which is always going to be a limiting factor unless you make the engine unacceptably wide.

It's not an easy model to get appreciably *more* out of. so why bother? if you want a lot more why not buy something that already has it? Like a Tuono f'rinstance!?

Pete

jpsplus
08-02-2009, 05:02 AM
Look, with respect a K&N is not a particularly brilliant filter, the paper element is much, much better. The Mana is NOT a high performance engine and it only has one, quite small, throttle body and a shared inlet manifold both of which will be 'Hampering' it's performance far more than what type of filter is used. It also has primary drive by a rubber belt which is always going to be a limiting factor unless you make the engine unacceptably wide.

It's not an easy model to get appreciably *more* out of. so why bother? if you want a lot more why not buy something that already has it? Like a Tuono f'rinstance!?

Pete
pete check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ueYSbqOJU&feature=related

shadyman
08-02-2009, 10:29 AM
And the first thing you'll do to your tuono is install cans & a filter. Most people buy a Mana for very specific reasons, hp. not being one of them. But who doesn't want a few more ponys & better looks. AF1 reported on the dyno the Mana responded well to air intake changes. I always like my bikes to run at full potential whether it's 125 or 1200cc.

abouc
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I'll still pose the same question that I did on the Scarabeo link above - what happens when it rains? Would it potentially damage the engine to have an exposed air filter so close to the wheel while riding in the rain? I'm not mechanically knowledgeable enough to know for sure. Can any others elaborate?

pete roper
08-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Nah. Even if it was absolutely pissing down I can't see it ever being an issue. To do any damage you'd have to ingest enough water to hydraulically lock the motor. That would kill it stone dead!

Water inside the combustion chamber and exhaust though is not a problem in small amounts, after all, one of the major by-products of burning petrol is water. (That's why on cold mornings your exhaust steams.).

For many years you could buy kits that allowed water injection on older motors, mainly for cars, the idea being that the atomised water would a.) make the charge denser and b.) would help cool the combustion chamber as it cheaned state during the compression process. The latent heat of water being higher than that of petrol.

Pete

Micah / AF1 Racing
08-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Just taking the air filter cover off the Mana is worth 5 bhp on my dyno....I cannot imagine a power loss doing a pod intake filter. My personal preference would just be a low restriction stock replacement filter. The big K&N pod filters sound cool but filtration of any of the wire and gauze filters lags well behind paper element filters.

Motopsycho
08-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Micah, During your dyno runs without the filter cover, was the air filter still in place?
For performance reasons or at the drag strip, could one just remove the cover and not the filter and still get the gain?

shadyman
08-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I modified my airbox by removing the round metal emblem on the cover & cut the plastic under it leaving a strip through the middle so I can re-attach the emblem with a screw. If you ride in the rain you just leave the emblem on, If you want to ride hard just take the emblem off & air goes directly in the filter. The intake air is still filtered. I will try to get some pictures as soon as I can. This made a difference you can feel in the seat of your pants.

claytonroadie
09-30-2009, 09:38 PM
I modified my airbox by removing the round metal emblem on the cover & cut the plastic under it leaving a strip through the middle so I can re-attach the emblem with a screw. If you ride in the rain you just leave the emblem on, If you want to ride hard just take the emblem off & air goes directly in the filter. The intake air is still filtered. I will try to get some pictures as soon as I can. This made a difference you can feel in the seat of your pants.

Any chance of seeing some pictures? That sounds like an excellent solution and I would really like to see exactly how you did it. Thanks.

Micah / AF1 Racing
10-01-2009, 08:36 AM
I leave the filter in place, even at the drag strip I see no reason to let unfiltered air into the engine.

Micah / AF1 Racing
10-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Oh and yes, when you remove the cover the filter is still bolted in place. This alone giving 5 bhp is pretty sweet.

To really make a Mana run without a turbo as in the link above one would need to switch to individual throttle bodies, or at least a much larget single throttle body and adapt a PCIIIusb or PCV to the Mana, easy enough to do really. If the bike was selling in any sort of actual quantities I would have done this already. As it is right now there are like 3-5 people in the whole country who seem to be interested in getting more power out of a Mana.

Cochise
10-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Oh and yes, when you remove the cover the filter is still bolted in place. This alone giving 5 bhp is pretty sweet.

To really make a Mana run without a turbo as in the link above one would need to switch to individual throttle bodies, or at least a much larget single throttle body and adapt a PCIIIusb or PCV to the Mana, easy enough to do really. If the bike was selling in any sort of actual quantities I would have done this already. As it is right now there are like 3-5 people in the whole country who seem to be interested in getting more power out of a Mana.

I will have to count myself in on the power increase. I am ordering a second air filter cover to play with and wouldn't mind playing with a PCIII. What are your thoughts on NOS, for the drag strip. Maybe a stepped injection over 2-4 seconds.:burnout:

shadyman
10-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Kinda forgot about this, thanks for the reminder. I painted the cover semi flat black just because i like it better. I removed the cover & pried the metal emblem off with just my finger nails. it just popped off nicely. Next I cut the plastic leaving a band for the s.s.screw. I used baby powder on the adhesive so it is no longer sticky. You can run without the emblem or run with it slightly raised,( the wife won't notice it) or if it is raining just screw it down.
the only cost will be the stainless screw.

JodyH
10-01-2009, 02:15 PM
I like the black cover.
I'll be doing that tonight.

claytonroadie
10-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Shadyman, thanks for the pictures. Nice work. I will be rigging up something very similar.

alfamoi
10-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Better airflow, security and aerodynamics of the aprilia aibox...
I'll receive it tomorrow...
dnafilter for Mana (http://www.dnafilters.com/filterdetails.asp?filterid=896) :happy:

The DNA High performance air filters

The DNA High performance air filter is a high quality next generation multilayer cotton gauze oil impregnated air filter.
The filter media is made of 4 layers of high quality nafta surgical cotton gauze specialy designed by our R&D department.
The cotton is sandwiched between two layers of epoxy coated Marine grade aluminum wire mesh, designed to last a lifetime.
The 4 layers of cotton and the two layers of wire mesh are pleated by state of art electronically controlled pleating machines to assure a very high quality of the final filtration media.
The result of the special design and the Hi Tec manufacturing process is a filtration media that has very high flow rates, low restriction, superior dust holding capability, smoothens out the air flow stream and lasts a lifetime.
The oil that we use to impregnate the cotton is a very special grade developed by our R&D department after intense testing and produced by one of the world's best Oil Companies. This special oil is a very critical part of the filter and has the capability to produce a static charge to the cotton media and attract the entire dust particles that flow towards the filter, even the very fine ones.

The High Performance!
The High Performance of the DNA air filter is a must for all of our designs and our R&D team uses up to date Hi Tec equipment to achieve the best performance.
Our R&D department is equipped with the latest Dynojet motorcycle & automotive dyno's and sophisticated air flow measuring equipment. Every single filter is tested and checked that it meets the High Performance standards that DNA has established.
As a final result the customer receives the best performance air filter money can buy!

The Long Life
We at DNA proudly introduce a filter that can last the life of the vehicle.
High quality materials, Hi Tec manufacturing process, designs that meet OEM quality levels and very strict quality control, is the secret behind the DNA Air Filters and the factor that allows us to give a Lifetime Warranty!

Taking Care of the Filter
The DNA Air Filter will serve you for many years and needs very little care using the DNA Service kit.
When the filter is dirty simply follow the instructions that you can find in the service kit, allow the filter to dry, reoil and you are ready to use your filter again, like new!

Taking Care of the Environment
DNA brings "Taking care of the environment" one step ahead, by designing, producing and marketing a filter that you will never need to throw away.
Using cotton instead of paper, we provide work to the cotton industry and on the other side no trees have to be sacrificed for paper to be produced.
DNA Air Filter owners do not produce unnecessary waste as paper filter owners have to do every time the life of the paper filter ends.
Even the box is designed and manufactured of top quality material allowing you to keep it in your garage and use it as a storage box.

SilverFoxUno
10-01-2009, 04:43 PM
I've done a little research at K&N and it appears that an MG-0001 may fit the Mana. I am about to pull the trigger to purchase one and see...

shadyman
10-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm not a big fan of oiled filters. I purchased one for my pickup & it eventually coated the mass airflow sensor causing all kinds of trouble codes & drivability problems. Also in the instructions that came with the filter it said not to be hasty in cleaning it, as it is more efficient a little dirty.WTF. When K&N claims they flow more air, it's compared to a dirty paper filter, not a clean paper filter. No shit! Just my opinion.

manifestation
10-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi to the lords of the Mana. Anybody have any information on the Drive Belt replacement,apparantly D:plus:ealers can hire the tools from Aprilia . ? what is the life expectancy of the belt also the approx cost of having it replaced. Never had a bike that aroused such interest and yet do not see many on the road. Got to say after 28 bikes in 12 years its the dogs dangly bits . Cheers jimmyg

tha-mask
10-09-2009, 06:13 AM
The best replacement is every 12000 miles. Mine is going to get its second belt in the next few months.

Steve / AF1 Racing
11-19-2009, 12:29 PM
We now stock the aforementioned DNA filter:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7909

http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/DN_PAP8N09-01_t.jpg

SilverFoxUno
11-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Funny, Steve...it looks just like the K&N MG-0001 filter I put in my Mana. BTW, the K&N was a perfect fit.

Motopsycho
11-19-2009, 03:43 PM
count me in with Cochise on the power adders..... so thats 2 already on the east coast. Now this blog is getting some meat to it. Can't wait to try the air filter hop up!

motoken
11-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I like the looks of this from Vance and Hines, but I doubt they would make one for a low production bike like the Mana.

http://www.vanceandhines.com/images/drakimage.jpg

groovymaster
01-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I cut small slits on the bottom of the airbox cover. Definitely gets more air and it's rather unlikely that water will get to the filter. Rode it in the rain and had no problem. Then I decided I didn't like the big bulky airbox hiding the trellis frame so I replaced it with a K&N filter that I had. The K&N has a chrome cover and work fine in the rain.

Micah / AF1 Racing
01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
There is SO MUCH stuff that can be removed from a Mana to get down to that raw mechanical look I like. It is somewhat amazing when you really look at the bike and start counting all the stuff that is superfluous and basically only installed for looks. I am guessing a weight reduction of 40+ lbs from stock is very easy to do and if power is hard to chase, weight reduction is a great answer when you want to summon better acceleration!

Somebody strip their Mana, it would be fascinating to see the end results! I like the cleaner look without the airbox, since it basically is a non functional airbox I see no need to allow it to live!

claytonroadie
01-04-2010, 01:43 AM
I cut small slits on the bottom of the airbox cover. Definitely gets more air and it's rather unlikely that water will get to the filter. Rode it in the rain and had no problem. Then I decided I didn't like the big bulky airbox hiding the trellis frame so I replaced it with a K&N filter that I had. The K&N has a chrome cover and work fine in the rain.
groovymaster, that k&n looks great. Can you give any more details on what you did? Maybe with a close up picture. I love my Mana, but I hate that airbox. Thanks.

groovymaster
01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
groovymaster, that k&n looks great. Can you give any more details on what you did? Maybe with a close up picture. I love my Mana, but I hate that airbox. Thanks.

No problem. I'll get the K&N filter info, take a few close-up photos this week, and get back to you. Yeah, that airbox is one big ugly bastard.

Gierling
01-07-2010, 11:50 AM
There is SO MUCH stuff that can be removed from a Mana to get down to that raw mechanical look I like. It is somewhat amazing when you really look at the bike and start counting all the stuff that is superfluous and basically only installed for looks. I am guessing a weight reduction of 40+ lbs from stock is very easy to do and if power is hard to chase, weight reduction is a great answer when you want to summon better acceleration!

Somebody strip their Mana, it would be fascinating to see the end results! I like the cleaner look without the airbox, since it basically is a non functional airbox I see no need to allow it to live!

Do you have a list of where you would start?

groovymaster
01-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Here's what it looks like behind the box (see photo below).
There is a rubber boot that previously connected to the
large plastic airbox. I retained the rubber boot and simply
attached my filter using two M6 clips. The easiest option
would be a sock filter and water-repellent nylon prefilter.

claytonroadie
02-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Groovymaster, thanks for the additional info. This is exactly what I'd like to do. Do you have a part # for the K&N. I'd love to just order that same one since I can see it worked for you.

Thor_R
02-20-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm tempted to do something about to the air intake also if a free 5 bhp and possibly a little better fuel efficiency is hidden there as others have indicated. I think the above solution is pretty discrete and could be a good way to go if you don't want to change the original appearance but I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make compared to removing the metal emblem or replacing the entire airbox with a cone filter? What's your take on that?

groovymaster
02-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Claytonroadie,
Sorry. It's a filter I already had so I don't know the part number. If I were to buy a filter I would probably get one with even more of a rain cover or maybe something like this airfilter-venturi (see below) and eliminate the boot also.

Thor,
I noticed a difference after I cut slits in the air-box cover (see below). The metal emblem mod is nice but for me putting it back on every time it rained would be a irritating. If I were to do it again I would probably drill 4 or 5 nice clean round holes rather than cutting slits... trying to file an even line was a bit tedious.

Thor_R
02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Thor,
I noticed a difference after I cut slits in the air-box cover (see below). The metal emblem mod is nice but for me putting it back on every time it rained would be a irritating. If I were to do it again I would probably drill 4 or 5 nice clean round holes rather than cutting slits... trying to file an even line was a bit tedious.
Thanks for the input. Did you also notice a difference when going from the slits in the airbox to the naked K&N filter?

groovymaster
02-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the input. Did you also notice a difference when going from the slits in the airbox to the naked K&N filter?

Yep.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

armadillored
02-26-2010, 08:56 PM
I already have the DNA filter from AF1 and I think I'll drill a few holes in the cover like "groovymaster" suggested.

ciocu
07-03-2010, 06:31 AM

Hi groovymaster,

can you please put a much more clear picture of this filter? and also can you detail how you did it?

thank you very much!!!

NHMana
07-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Groovymaster, Great info about the mods on the air filter keep us posted on your mods
Thanks

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-03-2011, 02:55 PM
If anyone has the deep need to go tuning on their Mana, I now have a working 02 delete that I tested this morning, yeah 28F in the dyno room was a touch cold...but it works!

I cannot help but think there is a mile of untapped potential in the Mana engine, hell just having 02 sensor deleted was a nice gain in response and bottom end! Power graphs from today are sort of irrelevant since the temps are soooo far outside the normal operating range. Come spring if anyone wants to play PCIIIusb tuning on their Mana, talk to me!

SAFit07
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
He 'touched' our MANA this week....

Darnnit Micah, that 'canister' made an ideal 'slider' for that side!!!

:cheers:

armadillored
02-03-2011, 05:49 PM
I had thought about the Mana vs. Shiver engines and if the Mana was tuned like the Shiver it would have about 107HP. However Aprilia engineers must have had a reason to tune it at 76HP. Maybe they found the belt wouldn't last very long transmitting that much HP. A few years ago the consensus was a variator belt was maxed out at just a little more than 50HP. OK, we have better belts now, but I haven't found any data that the Mana belt could hold up to that much HP or last very long.

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-03-2011, 06:58 PM
You have seen the turbocharged GP800 (same engine) and nitrous GP800 on youtube right? I think the belts will wear faster with more power but they can take a lot more power without breaking!

Ron...your bike looks so much better now but in case you want to re-install your spare "frame slider" you can, it is in the tank/trunk, or I will next time you are in. I also got rid of that horrible rattle at idle, a little bit of Velcro on the license plate and all is better now! While I was there, well at the other end, I added a new hose clamp to the lower rad pipe...no more drops from there!

pete roper
02-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I had thought about the Mana vs. Shiver engines and if the Mana was tuned like the Shiver it would have about 107HP. However Aprilia engineers must have had a reason to tune it at 76HP. Maybe they found the belt wouldn't last very long transmitting that much HP. A few years ago the consensus was a variator belt was maxed out at just a little more than 50HP. OK, we have better belts now, but I haven't found any data that the Mana belt could hold up to that much HP or last very long.

Mana and Shiver are very different designs. Mana is SOHC, Shiver is DOHC and uses twin TB's, big ones! It's a VERY different engine in both design and delivery. I have not the slightest doubt that you cold get 'More' from the Mana. It's just not that simple.

Pete

armadillored
02-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Mana and Shiver are very different designs. Mana is SOHC, Shiver is DOHC and uses twin TB's, big ones! It's a VERY different engine in both design and delivery. I have not the slightest doubt that you cold get 'More' from the Mana. It's just not that simple.

Pete

I haven't the faintest idea HOW to get more HP out of any bike engine. I leave that to the manufacturers engineers and the AF1 guys. My thought was the life of the Mana belt if the engine had more HP.

SAFit07
02-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Micah...thank you as always!!!

:worship:

May let you have your way w/ her this summer while the 'wife' is TDY....the bike (MANA) that is. :p:

PSolk
02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey Micah,
I am in!!! :banana: I have been waiting for you to work your magic on the Mana!
Is this something you could work with Chris and the guys at New Haven Powersports to get downloaded to my bike? They can do it when they put on the RSV4 Factory wheels... :devil:
:peace:

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Actually it is just a generic part that happens to solve the mystery of problems I had getting rid of the closed loop feedback from the o2 sensor, and a normal PCIIIusb, I will get some of the special parts soon and I need a "test Mana" to do the first conversion on. It really seems pretty easy but labor/time intensive. I will have to make an install/tuning guide too. I do not have a suitable Mana in my possession right now to go crazy on.

PSolk
02-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Wish I was closer...

ColoradoRider
02-04-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm interested too ...

mastiffhound
02-04-2011, 09:09 PM
I would love to see the best horsepower numbers anyone has pulled from their mana! I sometimes think about selling mine but then I think about the how easy it is to ride.
I also own a harley sportster which was way easy to hop up. I have the k&n filter, screamin eagle slip ons, and the vance and hines fuelpak. The harley hasn't been on the road yet but my brother has the same bike with the same mods and it can really fly! Why is it foreign bikes have to be such a pain to hop up? The parts are crazy expensive also. I used to think harley parts were exspensive but aprilia has taught me a whole new meaning for costly.

ferdi
02-05-2011, 06:52 AM
I would love to see the best horsepower numbers anyone has pulled from their mana! I sometimes think about selling mine but then I think about the how easy it is to ride.
I also own a harley sportster which was way easy to hop up. I have the k&n filter, screamin eagle slip ons, and the vance and hines fuelpak. The harley hasn't been on the road yet but my brother has the same bike with the same mods and it can really fly! Why is it foreign bikes have to be such a pain to hop up? The parts are crazy expensive also. I used to think harley parts were exspensive but aprilia has taught me a whole new meaning for costly.

it depends on the part of the world you live ;) .
In my country Aprilia parts are cheap (because Austria is just beside Italy and also part of the EU) and Harley parts are expensive, because US+A is far away :).

by the way - chopped the airbox of my Mana yesterday like shadyman + groovymaster, nice improvement with hopefully some more power output. Thanks guys for sharing your modifiactions :peace:.

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Has anyone seen a larger Throttle Body to replace the stock (small bore) throttle body? This is a major choke point for making more power on the Mana. God, I need to find one of these for a project bike. If anyone knows where a rough/salvage Mana is for $$$ cheap money I might just buy one for testing and plaything.

There are two Mana customs I would like to build. One would be a stripper, all un-needed parts removed while keeping the external cosmetic appearance, just lighten her up and add 20-50% more power. The other would be an interesting project too. One of the first rides I went on with my Demo Mana a couple of years back was a series of dirt roads around the hill country here in Texas. I have wanted to make a Mana-Nord or an "Adventure" version using a lot of Capo Nord parts. The auto tranny made even me feel pretty safe in the dirt...that would be wicked fun!

armadillored
02-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Could you use one of the throttle bodies from a Shiver?

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Nope, those are servo controlled ride-by-wire units. Generic TB's are all over out there, even small car sizes would be fine.

SilverSurfer79
02-05-2011, 04:15 PM
I thought our Mana's were fly by wire.

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Nope, just, thank God, a normal TB with cables going to it!

SilverSurfer79
02-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Wow I wonder what an appropriate size TB would be for her?

SilverSurfer79
02-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Also gotta figure out the idle air control circuit, no?

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-07-2011, 11:37 AM
IAC's are easy enough to cheat or to build a work around. I think the TB should be in the 38-42mm range personally.

armadillored
02-07-2011, 02:54 PM
What size TB does the Mana have?

F1PRB22
02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
This Aprilia bike uses a 40mm TB:
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/aprilia_rxv_55_2011.php

SilverSurfer79
02-07-2011, 05:52 PM
The Mana already has a 38mm TB on it.
http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Model/20533/MANA+850/Technical.aspx

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Claimed 38mm, I have not measured it yet but it seems pretty small to the eye. If it were ITB (individual throttle bodies) up to 51mm would be OK with no restriction up to redline from the TB's. Hell maybe a chopped up set of RSV 51mm TB's would work? Usually you can get away with a slightly smaller TB on a common plane manifold due to manifold volume from shared runners without a loss of top end power from TB restriction. I really need a "project bike" to take apart if serious power is to be hunted down on the Mana. I think it would be pretty easy to go up 30-40% from stock power with simple modifications and 50% or more with a big bore pistons, cams and big TB (ITB's).

armadillored
02-08-2011, 09:13 AM
From AF1 website:

USED: 51mm Throttle Bodies

Used 51 mm throttle bodes for '00-'03 Falco, '00.5-'03 Mille, '00.5-'02 Mille-R, '02-'05 Tuono

Our Price: $175.00

PSolk
02-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Now if Micah just had a Mana to work on!!!

SilverSurfer79
02-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah! Arent there any Mana owners in Texas?

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-16-2011, 09:34 AM
No, the Mana has not been a hot seller for us here in Texas. Here are a couple of pics from the install of the oxygen sensor emulator and the basic service...just to keep the thoughts on the subject coming!

SilverSurfer79
02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
What does that do for you?

ferdi
02-16-2011, 09:50 AM
No, the Mana has not been a hot seller for us here in Texas. Here are a couple of pics from the install of the oxygen sensor emulator and the basic service...just to keep the thoughts on the subject coming!

unfortunatly the Mana is not a hot seller all over the world.
I think the world and most bikers are still not ready for automatic transmission bikes. Maybe in some years.
let's hope Aprilia will not give up :peace: .

F1PRB22
02-16-2011, 10:45 AM
In reality, the Mana is one of the top sellers in the world ...
for large displacement automatic transmission bikes.

Gibotos
02-16-2011, 04:22 PM
In reality, the Mana is one of the top sellers in the world ...
for large displacement automatic transmission bikes.

Cause nobody wants to pay $16,000 for a Honda VFR1200F DCT or a Honda DN-01 when they could get a better bike for $6,000 less.

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-16-2011, 04:51 PM
The Oxygen Sensor Emulator allows programming via about any V-twin PCIIIusb with no closed loop feedback to the ECU to fuck-up the changes you are programming into the fuel trims...that's all. Just adding that one $90 part made a world of difference in how the bike rode actually with no other changes!

Cryowatt
02-16-2011, 07:31 PM
unfortunatly the Mana is not a hot seller all over the world.
I think the world and most bikers are still not ready for automatic transmission bikes. Maybe in some years.
let's hope Aprilia will not give up :peace: .

In North American I'd blame it purely on advertising. First Aprilia seems to be pretty much unknown. I have at least a 99% failure rate when I tell people I ride an Aprilia. Then of the people who know what an Aprilia is only know about the RSV4. I think the people who would be a good candidate for a Mana are intimidated by a clutch so they discount everything that looks like a motorcycle as scary and unrideable, which leaves scooters which most would further deem "uncool".

I don't even know how I found the Mana orginally. Of my original searches for the mythical automatic motorcycle all I ever found was Ridley motorcycles, some random companies providing automatic transmissions for harley trike conversions, and the Honda DN-01. It does appear that the Mana is ranking a bit higher on the search engines for "Automatic motorcycles", but it's still low on the first page.

I do believe that the future of motorcycles will be dual-clutch like transmissions. There are a number of companies working on simple and light-weight alternatives to DCT, some of which are already testing on superbikes. Once you have a bunch of bikes with paddleshifting it doesn't take much to make the computer shift itself. And thus all motorcycles will be automatic (with the exception of Harley, they'll still make the same bikes they've made for 50 years)!

SAFit07
02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Micah,

And all I thought ya did was remove the 'stock slider', I mean canister???

I should've given more for ya'lls 'beer fund'.:cheers:

Finally rode her in today. Thought she 'felt' abit different.....

ferdi
02-17-2011, 03:11 AM
The Oxygen Sensor Emulator allows programming via about any V-twin PCIIIusb with no closed loop feedback to the ECU to fuck-up the changes you are programming into the fuel trims...that's all. Just adding that one $90 part made a world of difference in how the bike rode actually with no other changes!

Micah,
does this mean, this emulator also works without changing anything in the ECU ?
Is it attached instead of the lambda sensor (oxygen sensor) and does the emulator cheat so that ECU always runs in open loop ?

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Micah,
does this mean, this emulator also works without changing anything in the ECU ?
Is it attached instead of the lambda sensor (oxygen sensor) and does the emulator cheat so that ECU always runs in open loop ?

Yes, it is a simple cheat which takes the motor from majority closed loop control (and very lean at that) and makes it open loop. To get it truly right you must add the PCIIIusb to fine trim the fueling.

SilverSurfer79
02-17-2011, 03:30 PM
I've gotta get my Mana out to you guys one of these days!

Mana-in-NC
02-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Yes, it is a simple cheat which takes the motor from majority closed loop control (and very lean at that) and makes it open loop. To get it truly right you must add the PCIIIusb to fine trim the fueling.

Micah - Did you put it on the dyno? Or are the differences just observations while you took it out to test it? It would be great to know the actual performance differences. I'd also love to get my local authorized tech to do this but wonder if a "tech bulletin" created by you would help. Or is it simple enough to optimize that any good tech would be able to get it right?

SAFit07
02-21-2011, 08:52 PM

Hey Micah...I've noticed something also here in 'real-world' usage: the fuel mileage. Itz only been two tanks since we've gotten her back, but so far, I've had to refuel already @ 100 miles vs. the 140 I/we used to get. ('idiot' light comes on & trip-odometer flips over to the odometer w/ how many miles one has gone w/ 'low fuel' light lit).

Again, itz only been a couple of tank fill-ups since the 'service'....will monitor & update after a few more fill-ups.

Thus, is it worth it if one's utilizing the bike for commuting...esp w/ gas @ 3 bucks again.

'Til the next update....:peace:

ColoradoRider
02-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Thus, is it worth it if one's utilizing the bike for commuting...esp w/ gas @ 3 bucks again.

And headed for $ 4 by summer ...

PSolk
02-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Just be glad we don't live in the UK, they would be ecstatic to see $4/gallon!!!

Back on topic, Micah, do you have a map for the PCIII you would share? Would it be different for a bike with the Leo Vince installed opposed to stock? This is something I would be very interested in...

Thanks in advance,
-Paul

houdini
02-22-2011, 06:42 PM
$4 a gallon? Hmm its 1.29 per litre here, and those good at maths and converting currency will know thats a lot

Used to be into modding my r1 but the belt drive 'box I just ride this, I do miss the punch of the r1 though :( the price of a two up sports tourer in my book, which it is a fine sp at that

SilverSurfer79
02-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow! If my math is right, that's like $8.37 per gal!!

SAFit07
04-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Hey Micah...I've noticed something also here in 'real-world' usage: the fuel mileage. Itz only been two tanks since we've gotten her back, but so far, I've had to refuel already @ 100 miles vs. the 140 I/we used to get. ('idiot' light comes on & trip-odometer flips over to the odometer w/ how many miles one has gone w/ 'low fuel' light lit).

Again, itz only been a couple of tank fill-ups since the 'service'....will monitor & update after a few more fill-ups.

Mileage or range per tank is back to normal. Took a couple of full tanks before range improved back to previous stats.

Oh....and now gas is $3.55 as of today.

PSolk
04-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Does the bike feel any different?
-P

SAFit07
04-08-2011, 07:47 AM
It did initially....just a 'tad'. I'm sure for someone who rides one more often they could tell even quicker.

Not sure if it helps but I ride the Shiver primarily. I did notice 'something' when I jumped from it to the MANA last night after work & before class. I dropped-off the Shiver & hopped on the MANA for the ride to campus. Boy, what a difference. I hadn't done that in sometime!

armadillored
04-08-2011, 08:03 AM
So, which is faster, the Shiver or the Mana?

SAFit07
04-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Oh boy.....MANA. :p:

ColoradoRider
04-09-2011, 08:43 AM
I rode a Shiver before deciding on the Mana. While they seem like 'sister' bikes, they really are quite different. I believe it was the Cycle World comparison where the Mana edged out the Shiver on lap times, once they let the Mana handle shifting duties.

I still find myself reaching for the clutch lever though ...