PDA

View Full Version : Carbi

coffee
06-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Guys,
Has anyone removed the airbox and used a trumpet instead?

Gman2005
06-28-2009, 08:20 AM
and why would you want to do that? you'll loose air compression and power. Plus sucking all the shit that is around in the summer. Ether use a cone or take then snorkel out and K&N filter, play with the jetting. All done.

Gman

kanerdog1x1
06-28-2009, 12:10 PM
the carb already has a tapered tract, so you dont need a 'trumpet'.

coffee
06-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Well I would have expected I needed to make a few different lengths in cardboard to place on the carb when getting it dyno'd to get close to the right length. Has anyone actually used a trumpet? If so did they just guess a length or dyno'd a got a size that worked best?
I would have expected a trumpet required along with a filter off that.

rotax122
06-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Bad idea man...keep the original airbox...just play with the filtrant material...i have the original airbox with dell'orto 34mm and no snorkel...sounds and go lovely.

tekebird
06-29-2009, 09:57 AM
rotax, what jetting are you using?

Gman2005
06-29-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't think the jetting will help. He lives in Italy and you live in the USA lol what is your current set up mate, exhausts, carb, airbox etc

Gman

tekebird
06-29-2009, 08:51 PM
currently have the stock carb and exhaust....but am looking for a baseline for the Arrow Exhaust, 34mmcarb V force reeds and stock airbox.

coffee
06-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Well I will assume that no one has really played with using a trumpet then.
If the correct length trumpet is used/ found then there should be no noticed power loss.

the-heft
07-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Well I will assume that no one has really played with using a trumpet then.
If the correct length trumpet is used/ found then there should be no noticed power loss.

No offence, but why mess with it then?

If your only expecting to get the same performance I dont see the point in playing about with it?

coffee
07-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Well lets put it this way. I expect if done properly you should able to get so close to the same power you could not feel any differnce. I am rebuilding my bike and with a custom sub frame that will prop the seat higher. This whole area will be very visable and think a trumpet will look a hell of a lot better than an airbox. plus i am also looking to shed weight though not at cost to the performance. The bike will be dyno tuned with the rebuild and will try it with a few different lengths to get in the ball park and then most likely make a few cardboard ones of in between lengths to try fine tune it as close as possible. I guess the figures i get will speak for themselves?
People typically will not try something that someone else before them has not done.

random0082
07-03-2009, 06:47 AM
If its just looks and weight then fit a Pipercross pod filter. on those 2 criteria there is no need to do anything else.

PS - You really need a sig that big? reduce it a bit eh, no one wants a page full of someones sig. lol! esp stuff thats not even been bought / fitted yet

coffee
07-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Random,
what is a "sig". Sorry, no idea what you are talking about.