PDA

View Full Version : Intro and Advice wanted

Sewerrat
06-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Hello everyone. I just recently joined the Aprilia Family moving up from a Kymco 250 to the Mana 850. I bought mine with 395 miles on it as it was a dealer demo. It's the red one. I love the bike but can't say the same for the dealership. Anyway, after having the bike delivered, I got the chance to ride it for about a week. I noticed right away that it had difficulty cold starting. I work nights and get off around 1am or so. Its been in the low 50's when I get off..not that cold. It took me 10 minutes to get it started to where it would idle and not stall. I called their service dept. and asked what oil they had put in it and they told me 15-50. The manual calls for 5-40. I told them this and they had me bring it to them to change out the oil. While there I told them about the cold start problem. Its now been in the shop since last Friday. Today I called them and they said it was still having a cold start problem and they were waiting on an e-mail from Aprilia tech's. Has anyone else had this issue? Please convince me I made the right choice in buying the Mana. It was hard to put it in the shop after only having it for a week. Thanks all and ride safe. :bangwall:

shadyman
06-17-2009, 07:22 AM
No problems with cold starting here. Since the bike is fuel injected, everything self adjusting. If you live at a high altitude, maybe it needs to be reprogrammed to run a little richer in startup mode.

SilverFoxUno
06-17-2009, 09:32 AM
I haven't had any issues with cold starting, even at near freezing temps, though my Mana is garage kept.

pete roper
06-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Can't be much help, mine has been faultless. The decay curve for cold start is a bit quick. If I start and ride off immediately it will stall at the end of the street but starts right up again and that's the end of it.

Get 'em to plug in the Axone, set the TPS and reset the self learning parameters or whatever they are called and it'll probably go away. If it doesn't then check the error codes and work accordingly.

Pete

Sewerrat
06-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks to all who answered. Glad to hear your bikes are trouble free. I hope they find a solution for mine quick. I miss riding. Take care all.

JodyH
06-18-2009, 09:06 AM
The night I brought my Mana home was below freezing (late December).
Even after a 120 mile trip in sub-freezing weather on an open trailer it started straight up and idled perfectly at the house.
After a minute or two of warmup I rode it around the block with no issues and the wife did the same.
Cold start, cold idle hasn't been an issue with mine.

Jim web
06-18-2009, 05:30 PM
No issue with mine i rode mine when it was 27 out started right up and never stalled once. Hope they figure out what's wrong with yours.

mikelevitt
06-19-2009, 09:00 PM
no problems with mine

Sewerrat
06-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Well my bike is still in the shop 9 days later with no word on why the bike is having a cold start issue. I think im ready to give up on this dealer and pick it up on Monday. Then I'll take it to a dealer that works on only Italian bikes. Maybe I'll have better luck. It's been a very frustrating issue. Wish me luck. By the way, I purchased an extended warranty of 2 years on the bike. The paperwork on the warranty showed it had 2 miles. In reality, it had 395 miles which I didn't discover until after I had signed the purchase contract and got a chance to go over the bike prior to delivery. This may open up a legal channel for me.

pete roper
06-20-2009, 10:14 AM
First step. Go into he diagnosis menu and look for error codes and work out what they apply to.

2nd step. Plug in Axone, clear errors re-set TPS and re do the 'Self learning' parameters or whatever they are called, (CAn't remember if Mana has this option. THen re check for errors and see if any have recurred. If they have then that is where to start diggin.

Pete

Sewerrat
06-20-2009, 01:50 PM
First step. Go into he diagnosis menu and look for error codes and work out what they apply to.

2nd step. Plug in Axone, clear errors re-set TPS and re do the 'Self learning' parameters or whatever they are called, (CAn't remember if Mana has this option. THen re check for errors and see if any have recurred. If they have then that is where to start diggin.

Pete

I'll mention this to them Pete and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll keep you all posted.

Sewerrat
06-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey all. I recently heard from the dealer and they said that last week when hooked up to the computer, it showed an error code indicating a bad oxyegen sensor. They cleared the error but it showed up again yesterday. They think that the bad sensor may be the cause for the cold start issue. They are supposed to run it by Aprilia tomorrow. I hope this is it!