PDA

View Full Version : Finally on the podium!

frankd_nm
06-14-2009, 07:48 PM
That's right! I finally picked up a 3rd place in the Lightweight GP races this weekend. I was running about 2-3 seconds off my best times, due to wind and tires that should have been replaced already, and would have been in 4th if one of the people on a KTM 640 hadn't had problems (or showed me pitty!). But I'll take it. :)

Bike ran really well. I think I'm getting to the point where suspension upgrades are needed. That rear shock at AF1 is looking really tempting, but just isn't in my budget right now. I think that's going on my Christmas list!

The front forks could use more dampening too. I'm running 15 wt. fork oil and I think I'll go to 20 wt. to see if that will help some.

The Michelin Power One's have held up really well for me too. I have 4 race weekends (3 races each weekend), a trackday and advanced riding school on them. They're pretty shot now, but I'm amazed they lasted this long.

Oh, I also changed to the racing brake pads. Wow! Huge difference. I'm able to brake 75-100 feet later coming off the straits now. And I'm not frying my disk nearly as much.

A huge thank you to AF1 for the parts and supplies that make the RS run so well. And another big thank you to everybody here on the forum that provide tips and info that have helped me get (and keep) the bike running so well.

Have fun and I hope to see you all out there racing and doing even better than me.
:cheers:

Frank Dodd
ASMA #145

jjt17
06-14-2009, 08:06 PM
thats awesome

i did my first trackday (first ride other than parking lot) at Nelson Ledges. I ran a 1.25 which i think is pretty decent. Only need a 1.30 to qualify for their race series.

jandrade
06-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Whoo hoo! Congats! Any pics? :D

frankd_nm
06-14-2009, 09:10 PM
There's usually a pro photographer there, but I don't think I saw him there this weekend. I'll have to wait a couple days to see if anybody had a camera and post picks.

Here's one I took of my pit crew.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/frankd_nm/IMG_2407.jpg

The paint should finally go on sometime in the next 2 months during the break in the racing season.

jjt17 - These things are so much fun on the track they become addictive!

odie_trackie
06-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Frank,

What tire sizes did you run? Did you run the stock sizes? Front 110/70 17”; rear 150/60 17”. Was it hard to find the right size?
It's time for new tires on mine and and I am working on deciding what tire and a good source.

frankd_nm
06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Frank,

What tire sizes did you run? Did you run the stock sizes? Front 110/70 17; rear 150/60 17. Was it hard to find the right size?
It's time for new tires on mine and and I am working on deciding what tire and a good source.

I am running the stock sizes. 110 front and 150 rear. I got my tires through Trackside Support at the track. They did have to special order them, because I'm the only person that runs that size here. I just let them know in advance what I wanted and they had them when I showed up at the track. They started to stock a set in these sizes for me, but they sent them up to Phoenix a couple weeks ago, because people there needed them. I understand they are not a very popular size (the 110 front is the odd one), so don't be surprised if you have to order them.

My bike came with Pirelli's as the stock tires. The Michelin's are a little less angular and didn't drop into the corners as quickly. I ended up lowering my forks in the triple-tree about 4mm to help compensate for the change in profile. Also, I understand that the Pirelli's have a little softer carcass which can translate to a better contact patch. Don't know for sure, just gossip I've heard at the track. It's been a couple of months now, but I think the Michelin's ran $360 for the set mounted.

odie_trackie
06-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the info.

Did you ride the stock tires on the track at all?

How many set of the Michelins have you been through thus far?

You said you lowered the forks. Did you raise the front end or did you mean the other way around?

I can attest to the softness of the carcass of the Pirellis on a kart track at least. They did move around a lot, but they did feel grippy.

I might go with just street Pilot Powers. Currently, it's a big pain in the butt to run tire warmers at the kart track. I've done a few track days on my SV with those tires and they do pretty well.

I am running the stock sizes. 110 front and 150 rear. I got my tires through Trackside Support at the track. They did have to special order them, because I'm the only person that runs that size here. I just let them know in advance what I wanted and they had them when I showed up at the track. They started to stock a set in these sizes for me, but they sent them up to Phoenix a couple weeks ago, because people there needed them. I understand they are not a very popular size (the 110 front is the odd one), so don't be surprised if you have to order them.

My bike came with Pirelli's as the stock tires. The Michelin's are a little less angular and didn't drop into the corners as quickly. I ended up lowering my forks in the triple-tree about 4mm to help compensate for the change in profile. Also, I understand that the Pirelli's have a little softer carcass which can translate to a better contact patch. Don't know for sure, just gossip I've heard at the track. It's been a couple of months now, but I think the Michelin's ran $360 for the set mounted.

frankd_nm
06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I did run the stock tires the first race weekend on the RS. I would say that they are good for some trackday fun, but don't expect them to stick like race tires.

I'm ashamed to say that I'm still running the first set of of Power One's that I put on. They have held up really well (not much wheel spin on the 125's), but are overdue for replacement. I have 4 race weekends, a trackday or two and an advanced riding school on them now.

Sorry about the fork confusion. You are correct. I lowered the front end by raising the forks 4mm in the triple tree.

Honestly, I think any dot performance tire will do fine for trackdays. The only reason I went with the Michelin's is that they have a good contingency program at the local track.

Here's some pics of the tires.

Michelin
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/frankd_nm/IMG_2426.jpg

Pirelli's
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/frankd_nm/IMG_2423.jpg

odie_trackie
06-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the info. This is very helpful.

I will have to post some pics of my stock tires. They look pretty shredded.

Looks like your stock tires got pretty hot (as evidence by the blueing).

What kind of pressures are you running?

Gman2005
06-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Well I'd looking into the dunlop 209. Look at this one after my mates race lol
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss17/Ghollidge/fuckedreartyre.jpg

decipher28
06-17-2009, 05:01 AM
^that's adam's bike right?

edges starting to grain away and rip,never good

Gman2005
06-17-2009, 05:11 AM
yes mate it is.

odie_trackie
06-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Here are some pics I snapped of my tires. Friends who ride on the kart track said that it looks like I am picking up rubber from the kart tires. I am going to ride it around the neighborhood and see what the tires do.

Front
http://www.odiesystems.com/photos/Moto_Pics/RS125/RCA_0040.JPG

Rear
http://www.odiesystems.com/photos/Moto_Pics/RS125/RCA_0042.JPG

Another Rear
http://www.odiesystems.com/photos/Moto_Pics/RS125/RCA_0041.JPG

Gman2005
06-18-2009, 06:04 AM
you have plenty of tyre left to lean on. Look out for some Maxton shocks or SP shocks on the British ebay. They will eat away at your time on the track. Plus, I don't fancy spending a 1/3 of the bikes value on one product. Unless its the engine that is lol