PDA

View Full Version : 1st ride out on the new toy!

revdecal
06-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Just thought that i would share my day with everyone here who knows my plight!
Finally picked the bike up in the van this morning and rushed back to Essex for a sunny ride out.

How pleased am i that this bike lives up to its prospects!

Fantastically strong engine, never heard anything like it and boy am i pleased with the sound out of that standard can! If only they had made it more attractive, i may have never thought of changing it.
Rode around in sport mode for about 50 miles and thought, whats the point? I am only going to be using it for mostly track so lets start getting used to it.

What i didnt expect was such a radical change and the, i'm getting slightly bored look on my face, suddenly evaporated!!
:D
How much fun is that and by god is she fast! I didnt even rev the thing out and the front wheel was pawing the air at 90mph!

Love the 'celebrity factor' whenever you stop too.

Exquisite craftmenship and build quality and fantastic to riding alongside all the 2 a penny jap bikes on such a beautiful machine.

Extremely nimble and stable and i really cant wait to get her out on a track, thats when the bike will really come into its own.
Difficult to explain the egine characteristics, wouldnt say it's more or less a twin or inline 4, its just a V4....one of a kind.

I wont bother posting pics just yet as you have all seen more than enough by now i imagine?
Going to bed with sore eyes where they have been out on stalks all day long dreaming of the next ride out. ;)

Rich22
06-14-2009, 04:54 PM
At last:cheers:

Wait till its run in mate:D

rsvfourdave
06-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Just thought that i would share my day with everyone here who knows my plight!
Finally picked the bike up in the van this morning and rushed back to Essex for a sunny ride out.

How pleased am i that this bike lives up to its prospects!

Fantastically strong engine, never heard anything like it and boy am i pleased with the sound out of that standard can! If only they had made it more attractive, i may have never thought of changing it.
Rode around in sport mode for about 50 miles and thought, whats the point? I am only going to be using it for mostly track so lets start getting used to it.

What i didnt expect was such a radical change and the, i'm getting slightly bored look on my face, suddenly evaporated!!
:D
How much fun is that and by god is she fast! I didnt even rev the thing out and the front wheel was pawing the air at 90mph!

Love the 'celebrity factor' whenever you stop too.

Exquisite craftmenship and build quality and fantastic to riding alongside all the 2 a penny jap bikes on such a beautiful machine.

Extremely nimble and stable and i really cant wait to get her out on a track, thats when the bike will really come into its own.
Difficult to explain the egine characteristics, wouldnt say it's more or less a twin or inline 4, its just a V4....one of a kind.

I wont bother posting pics just yet as you have all seen more than enough by now i imagine?
Going to bed with sore eyes where they have been out on stalks all day long dreaming of the next ride out. ;)

Congrats

told you it was worth the wait, now you just have to wait to unleash on track

:cheers:

rsvfourdave
06-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Congrats

told you it was worth the wait, now you just have to wait to unleash on track

:cheers:

And post pics, its impossible to be bored of looking at it.

I'm off to bed in the garage now

:pics:

Beau1K
06-14-2009, 06:10 PM
ABSOLUTELY :pics:

Fcpcs
06-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Nice one, glad you have her home.

The one thing I think we all agree on is that the standard can might not be a looker but DAM unless someone makes a to die for can then is there any point in changing? My mates and I rode through a few towns over the weekend and ALL of my mates, even ones with Yoshi's love the sound she makes, well that and the fact they cant hear theirs over mine anyway.

just clicked 500 miles and still under 9K at the mo.

Rich22
06-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Can on the way watch this space:D

XWAYZZ
06-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Congrats!!!! but you have to post pics!!!! The crowd/fans may turn on ya!!!

rsvfourdave
06-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Can on the way watch this space:D

Is it racefit rossi rep by any chance ?

Rich22
06-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Dave, sent you pm

IanB
06-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Had a first look at one of these at the weekend at a local dealer (Moto Strada at Shipley) and there was much discussion over the standard can. I (and the dealer) think it is fugly althought it looks better in the metal than in the photos and it wouldn't be a show stopper if I was buying one.

At this point in the discussion the parts guy brought out a stunning looking Akrapovic carbon end can which was part of a full system. It is about half the size of the standard. They wouldn't fit it to the demo bike due the cost - I'm sure he said 1500 for the full system.................:eek:

As a current Tuono rider I was interested when they told me that a Tuono version is planned.

Anyway, as I didn't win the lottery on Saturday, I'll keep dreaming.

revdecal
06-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Fitted the Akrapovic full system tonight and she looks and sounds the bollocks!!

Runs sweet as a nut as well so all good there, will post pics tomorrow!!!
:bump:

rsvfourdave
06-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Fitted the Akrapovic full system tonight and she looks and sounds the bollocks!!

Runs sweet as a nut as well so all good there, will post pics tomorrow!!!
:bump:

:pics:

Micah / AF1 Racing
06-15-2009, 05:11 PM
How was the fit of the pipe and the ease of access to work on the bike? I am curious basically how easy the bike is to work on for an owner or a service type person?

Post some damn pics too!

revdecal
06-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Well here you go for all the impatient ones! :bump:

bike was very easy to work on, top quality fit and finish always makes your life easier.
The fairings come off in 15 minutes but to fit the full system we had to remove the tank and drop the rad forward as its a bit of a squeeze getting your fingers in there!
The Akra fitted like a glove, wouldnt expect anything else from them really and it runs lovely.
Sounds amazing too! :)

Rich22
06-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Nice, does it sound very different from the standard can with the flapper open.

revdecal
06-16-2009, 02:53 AM
Few more, my good mate Darren lending a helping hand.

revdecal
06-16-2009, 02:55 AM
A lot richer and deeper and the noise seems to come more from the back of the bike rather than the centre if that makes sense.
More of a pure exhaust noise rather than engine.?

Would easily pass noise testing at 5000rpm with the baffle in.

Rich22
06-16-2009, 03:23 AM
Have you ridden it yet? interested to see how it feels against standard.

ducati1098s
06-16-2009, 03:31 AM
Absolutely gorgeous- now I REALLY REALLY love the look of the RSV4. :cheers:

I hope that you can hear the difference whilst riding too- so often its only ungrateful pedestrians who get the hear it:burnout:

Did you get the map in the end? If not whats the story?

revdecal
06-16-2009, 04:15 AM
Not had a chance as its pissing down!
Bloody typical isnt it! :)

Basically they don't need mapping, Akrapovic spend a fortune building full systems that run on standard fuel and air.
You can attempt to make fine adjustments later, if you can access the ecu, but their words were that the system has spent a long time in R&D getting it to run as sweet as poss so you shouldnt need to tamper with it.

They are going to sort me out a password anyway when they find a way around it.

rsvdan
06-16-2009, 05:23 AM
Ahhh that looks so much better with a "normal" looking can. Be interesting to see what Rich has up his sleeves but for the mo for me just an Akra slip on I think will be the way to go.

I know what you mean with the noise location, a lot of the bikes these days have the lower shorter can and the noise sounds more like at your feet rather than behind you.

Micah / AF1 Racing
06-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Fuck me, thank you so much, it making the decision to sell everything I own to pay for one of these, and that pipe, a lot easier. If you have the time and equipment a proper vid with decent audio....would that be too much to ask for? I will fly over and shoot and edit it for you if you are buying tickets?

Beautiful. Also great to hear about the fit and finish of the pipe and the bike, ease of service makes or breaks a bike for me in my line of work.

Bremms
06-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Oh Snap!! That's nice. Really want one now. Don't need one but I'll
sell my others. I can get about 15K+ for my two bikes and Volvo
track car. Gets me most of the way there.

revdecal
06-16-2009, 09:16 AM
I will see what i can do on the video front.

No better way to learn a bike in my opinion AFI than to take it apart :happy:

Will see what i can do re the flights, maybe you would like to bed the missus whilst you're at it too? :bump:

The finish of these bikes make the new R1 and jap bikes look like tinny pieces of crap, it really isn't an understatement when people say that it is a work of art.

iang27
06-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Very nice, I definately need one, have to find one available first though.

PedalBin
06-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't need the flights,how about paying for my train ticket/petrol........

......the missus would thank you :bump::cheers::cool:

:kidding:

That pipe looks spot-on,quality pipe on a quality bike :worship:

revdecal
06-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Dealer demo bike for sale on ebay believe it or not!

13,000 starting price.

iang27
06-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Where on ebay, I cannot find it ??

bootthedog
06-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Where on ebay, I cannot find it ??

here it is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2009-APRILIA-RSV-4-FACTORY-BLACK-RED-DEMO_W0QQitemZ320384433487QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mo torcycles?hash=item4a98667d4f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A13 18|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

i am going to have a test ride next week and then i will probably going to order one ,my dealer says he will be getting some in ,in about 4 weeks

iang27
06-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Cheers, I was searching RSV4 and it was not coming up.

Email sent to them !

Rich22
06-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Ahhh that looks so much better with a "normal" looking can. Be interesting to see what Rich has up his sleeves but for the mo for me just an Akra slip on I think will be the way to go.

I know what you mean with the noise location, a lot of the bikes these days have the lower shorter can and the noise sounds more like at your feet rather than behind you.Mate hold on coz i have a stonker up my sleeve, 2 weeks or less it's getting done.;)

iang27
06-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Is it the Leo Vinci GP PRO with one off link pipe ???

rsvdan
06-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Mate hold on coz i have a stonker up my sleeve, 2 weeks or less it's getting done.;)

Hmm will have to as no bike yet :crybaby: can't wait to see what you have been upto :burnout:

Rich22
06-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Is it the Leo Vinci GP PRO with one off link pipe ???No it's gonna be different from anything out there at the moment.:lover:

Simcard
06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Glad to see it will run nicely without the mapping changes. Would be great to see a dyno comparison with standard map & with 'race' map installed to see the difference (if any).

Simcard
06-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Revdecal, what other mods do you have planned?

VFR4Lee
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
That bike is a thing of beauty for sure. :worship:

Might as well be a Magic Bus. I want it I want it I want it!
Can't have it. :lover:

revdecal
06-17-2009, 02:45 AM
Glad to see it will run nicely without the mapping changes. Would be great to see a dyno comparison with standard map & with 'race' map installed to see the difference (if any).

Track bodywork painted by a friend of mine with double bubble for track days and Goodwood (Bradley Smith will be borrowing it, Moto GP 125.)

Rear sets, R&G crash protection, new race levers, 520 chain and sprocket set and that will probably about do it i reckon.
God knows why the wife hasn't left me? Probably because what she doesn't know doesn't hurt :eek:

Gman2005
06-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Question, if you can't get to the map to change them over. Wouldn't it limit the exhaust systems? as putting any other system might ruin the engine performance rather then making it better?

Gman

revdecal
06-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Question, if you can't get to the map to change them over. Wouldn't it limit the exhaust systems? as putting any other system might ruin the engine performance rather then making it better?

Gman

Read this from another thread.
Email from Akrapovic answers that question.

Okay, no panic here, we've encountered this kind of issue in the past with various makes.

Akrapovic design ALL of their aftermarket products to run on standard air and fuel ratios, the dyno graphs you see on their website for all makes including the RSV-4 are measured under these STANDARD settings, this is to demonstrate the effectiveness of the exhaust in it's own right without clouding the improvements with things such as air filter and fuelling changes. [see the FAQ's on the Akrapovic site where they address this issue]

Therefore the system you have even on standard settings is far from worthless in terms of power increase. A 5 bhp increase at peak and a massive torque boost are all delivered on standard air/fuel ratios.

The new fuel map that Aprilia are holding will REFINE things and may improve SLIGHTLY the to end increase and some increases at various throttle positions but be clear on this, the majority of the improvements already come from the exhaust. horror stories form manufacturers regarding blown engines etc if not fuelled are simply not true, they are designed purely as a control mechanism to stop people going outside of their commercial loop.

Akrapovic may be able to help with a map and I'm sure if they have one they will supply it, but I would expect them to say, exactly as they have done for the past 19 years " we build the system to work on OE fuelling - it works perfectly well on those settings and we don't enter into fuelling modifications"

I'll come back to you as soon as I have an answer.

Thanks,

Colin

Gman2005
06-17-2009, 05:26 AM
Sorry my bad. I meant if your put anything other than Akrapovic exhaust system on. It could ruin the bikes performance over the stock exhaust.

revdecal
06-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Update, just came back from a blast with the full system on.

Runs lovely, definately more juicy though!

My only critisism would be that the exhaust note get thrown away from the bike to the rear whereas the standard is much more beneath you, this means that some of the enjoyment of hearing it as you are riding around is taken away.
Also, at 6 feet, i do feel that when i fully tuck in and move my arse to the back of the seat my head seems like its buried in the screen.
Not a bad thing, just that if you are a lanky bastard, even though you would fit on the bike and be comfortable, you may suffer a bit when you attempt to get behind the screen?

This thing flies though. You are flying along and you look down and are still about 3000 rpm beneath the red line!!:eek:

Gman2005
06-17-2009, 09:26 AM
doing 70 in a 70 of course ;)

revdecal
06-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Oh no, private runway for my own personal pleasure and usage.!......uh...i mean on the dyno!! :bump:

Gman2005
06-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Oh no, private runway for my own personal pleasure and usage.!......uh...i mean on the dyno!! :bump:

Didn't realise the M1 was privatised now days lol

PedalBin
06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Oh no, private runway for my own personal pleasure and usage.!

What's it called......the M1 :rolleyes::cheers:

ducati1098s
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Update, just came back from a blast with the full system on.

Runs lovely, definately more juicy though!

My only critisism would be that the exhaust note get thrown away from the bike to the rear whereas the standard is much more beneath you, this means that some of the enjoyment of hearing it as you are riding around is taken away.
Also, at 6 feet, i do feel that when i fully tuck in and move my arse to the back of the seat my head seems like its buried in the screen.
Not a bad thing, just that if you are a lanky bastard, even though you would fit on the bike and be comfortable, you may suffer a bit when you attempt to get behind the screen?

This thing flies though. You are flying along and you look down and are still about 3000 rpm beneath the red line!!:eek:

Rev

Thanks again for the review. I take it Juicy means quicker? If so noticeably or is it quite subtle? ("I WILL notice a performance difference as this as it cost me 1700..":)

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the system as this would be a must for me?

Also do Akro only do one can? I say that as Ive seen 2 pics and on one it looked alot shorter than the other? Also does yours come with a removable baffle and if so have you taken it out?
Personally I like my bikes to be bloody loud as I find its a good additional way to make sure idiots dont lane swap in front of, do u turns, pull out etc.

Im guessing from your comment that in fact the bike seemed a bit quieter than stock whilst riding it? Thats a shame if so as the V4 noise is part of the pleasure.

Still looks amazing though.

PedalBin
06-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Didn't realise the M1 was privatised now days lol

Great minds think alike lol.

revdecal
06-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Rev

Thanks again for the review. I take it Juicy means quicker? If so noticeably or is it quite subtle? ("I WILL notice a performance difference as this as it cost me 1700..":)

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the system as this would be a must for me?

Also do Akro only do one can? I say that as Ive seen 2 pics and on one it looked alot shorter than the other? Also does yours come with a removable baffle and if so have you taken it out?
Personally I like my bikes to be bloody loud as I find its a good additional way to make sure idiots dont lane swap in front of, do u turns, pull out etc.

Im guessing from your comment that in fact the bike seemed a bit quieter than stock whilst riding it? Thats a shame if so as the V4 noise is part of the pleasure.

Still looks amazing though.

Paid 1390 for the full stainless system with carbon can as they have the same performance figures as the titanium but are much more bullet proof.
Does have a removable baffle which is in at the moment.
It is certainly not quieter, judging by the way other road users flee out of my way!
It just seems that way a little as as a rider the noise is thrown away to the back of the bike rather than underneath you.

Power increase is noticeable in the mid range especially, definately ironed out a couple of minor flat spots and pulls clean and strong all the way now.

By juicier i mean fuel consumption.

tez180
06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Any chance of a few fly by's and pull away's on a video? I'm dieing to hear one.

v4fac
06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Glad your enjoying the new pipe! Has it got the BS STAMP on it as the plod are pulling everyone round here at the mo? Waiting to get stopped with the standard one at the mo. Sounds great!

By the way my dealer has two guys wanting to trade.. Wait there 2009 R1's in.
Neeve's a plonker

Rich22
06-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Glad your enjoying the new pipe! Has it got the BS STAMP on it as the plod are pulling everyone round here at the mo? Waiting to get stopped with the standard one at the mo. Sounds great!

By the way my dealer has two guys wanting to trade.. Wait there 2009 R1's in.
Neeve's a plonkerAgreed, neevesy got it wrong:rolleyes:

Ducati1098s, i am building a rossi rep type pipe, same total length as standard can with the same hanging point and fairly loud i would imagine.

exsquidy
06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Listen to this fellas...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVNDDUJ7Cgc

T Davidsson
06-17-2009, 03:08 PM

+1 Sounds great :)

rx7tt95
06-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Wow. Just Wow.

Devious1
06-17-2009, 08:16 PM
The fact that it sets off a car's alarm makes it a must!!!

revdecal
06-18-2009, 03:34 AM
Track bodywork has finally turned up from cruciata in Italy, have to say that i am very impressed with the quality!

Excellent thickness and reinforcing in all the right places. Cant wait to get it painted now!!

gyges_1
06-18-2009, 03:36 AM

...Raped Ape, might be a bit of an understatement.

kostas
06-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Paid 1390 for the full stainless system with carbon can as they have the same performance figures as the titanium but are much more bullet proof.
Does have a removable baffle which is in at the moment.
It is certainly not quieter, judging by the way other road users flee out of my way!
It just seems that way a little as as a rider the noise is thrown away to the back of the bike rather than underneath you.

Power increase is noticeable in the mid range especially, definately ironed out a couple of minor flat spots and pulls clean and strong all the way now.

By juicier i mean fuel consumption.

excuse me you paid only 1390 for the full system from where, as my dealer here is asking me about 1800 gbp thanks allot

kostas
06-18-2009, 03:53 AM
they saying that when you perchasing Akra from Ape they send you the race ECU only with the invoice of purchase or something like that, in th case that you buy the Akra from Akrapovich what happens then anyone might knows...

revdecal
06-18-2009, 04:44 AM
excuse me you paid only 1390 for the full system from where, as my dealer here is asking me about 1800 gbp thanks allot

That's because Aprilia will only sell you the full Titanium version which is 1800.
I bought mine from Performance Parts in the UK.

You can email Colin who was very helpful.

colin@performanceparts-ltd.com

revdecal
06-18-2009, 04:46 AM
[QUOTE=v4fac;2209416]Glad your enjoying the new pipe! Has it got the BS STAMP on it as the plod are pulling everyone round here at the mo? Waiting to get stopped with the standard one at the mo. Sounds great!

No BS stamp as it is obviously a race system which has 'not for road use' stamped on it.
You would have to buy the road legal end can only i believe.

Gman2005
06-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Or do what my mate did and get the stamp put on the bike :) well tag at the time but still lol

rx7tt95
06-24-2009, 12:12 AM
I know this may seem to be an odd question...how easy is it to take the tank off of the RSV4? Writeups mention the tank extending underneath the seat. Is it all one piece? Are all the hose fittings reusable or was it necessary to replace said fittings?