PDA

View Full Version : Race ECU questions

shakazulu12
06-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Has any more information popped up about the features and availability of the race ECU at any of the American presentations?

Just curious if more details have been leaked. Also wondering if it will indeed be valuable as a tuning tool when ridden on the street. I.e., will the fans still work? Will the headlights and turn signals still function etc?

Highway9Rider
06-08-2009, 02:35 PM
someone stated it will add traction control too. interesting if true

shakazulu12
06-08-2009, 02:43 PM
someone stated it will add traction control too. interesting if true

I saw that and read it in the RRW article as well, I'm wondering if its through additional sensors installed, or if its like the Bazzaz setup and simply responds to increases in rev's that are above a threshold. I think I saw in another post here, that one of the new owners said there is an ABS light on the dash that doesn't function currently as well? Can someone confirm or maybe even give us a pic of your dash?

Seems like there hasn't been any real information discussed on it, at the same time, it had to have come up somewhere for people to get the nuggets that we have got already.

hank
06-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Seems like there hasn't been any real information discussed on it, at the same time, it had to have come up somewhere for people to get the nuggets that we have got already.

The Bas'tids that already have the RSV4 are out riding it and not wasting time on this forum... I hate em... I hate em all!!! :cigar:

I wouldn't refer to unused dash icons as gospel when it comes this or any other bike - if that were the case people would have a gear indicator on their 04 & onward bikes other than just a single Kiwi member of this forum who shall remain nameless... :happy:

06-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Has any more information popped up about the features and availability of the race ECU at any of the American presentations?

Just curious if more details have been leaked. Also wondering if it will indeed be valuable as a tuning tool when ridden on the street. I.e., will the fans still work? Will the headlights and turn signals still function etc?

Well I just thinking here don't qoute me.. If this bike comes with a "race ecu" that will enable it to have "traction control" then it will be more than tuning tool.. But that also means that you may have to buy the Full Akrapovic exhaust also..

I know with the 1098R that was the only way you could ride with the DTC...But this an aprilia which will be my first.. Still researching on this Map 1 and 2 thing..

Now I remember that Ducati did kinda the same thing with the 1098R b/c they had to meet that whole homologic thingy.. Had to offer the bike to the public and told them that they were still programing the Race ECU for the 1098R.. so people had to wait to put there Termi's on.. So that may be an issuse.. Just throwing stuff out there

I don't know if the SBK bikes have traction control on them.. Tell tell sign would be the sensors

shakazulu12
06-08-2009, 04:40 PM
The requirement for the full exhaust on the Ducati didn't have so much to do with mapping issues. The original DTC spent unburnt fuel into the exhaust, which would have fried the catalytic converter. There would have been huge EPA issues with that in the US (probably other countries as well). As such, they required that it be used with an exhaust that did not have a catalytic converter in it (race pipes basically). The race ECU was meant to alter fueling to match the exhaust.

The 1198s and new Streetfighter S have the second generation DTC which does not send unburnt fuel into the cats, hence the reason why the TC works without aftermarket pipes.

Who knows on the Aprilia front. The WSBK are definitely using TC though.

rx7tt95
06-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Several have reported their bikes come with a front wheel speed sensor leading me to believe there will be add-on traction control. The latest Motorcyclist (USA) also makes a very brief mention of add-on traction control.

According to the RRW article, it plugs right in to the original harness. I'd have to look at the wiring schematics but I doubt it'd cancel out lights and turn signals as they're probably on a seperate "loop."

If you look at the downloadable RSV4 manual from the Aprilia site, it even shows the "ABS" light and mentions it's not being used.

I don't think there's going to be any requirement for a full system and if so, it won't be limited to Akrapovic. I have a feeling other manufacturers are going to come up with something that's much more affordable. Heck, I think a simple slip-on will get you 70% of the gains of a full system (no cat).

rsvfourdave
06-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Not sure about exact detail but can confirm I have a front wheel sensor which came with the bike and the rear wheel sensor is on the bike.

Both just plug in.

I think the delorto elctronics are capable of uploading race and TC settings to the ecu and then all you need is the 5 digit dealer code (which I have) which will allow you to change ecu setting.

I also think different maps available for full systems, standard maps for end cans. full system means junking lamda sensor and valve.

I'll keep you posted as soon as I know more.

Diablo1
06-08-2009, 09:33 PM
If it were me, I wouldn't waste money on the full Akropovic exhaust system - it only adds 5 HP over the stock exhaust....BFD. I'd just go with the slip-on for the looks and sound. Now, if the race ECU is able to extract significant gains from the full Ako exhaust, then that would be a different matter - but so far, no evidence of that.

Highway9Rider
06-09-2009, 12:52 AM
rumor is...full akra system drops 21 pounds off the bike. if true add that to a HP gain of say...8 horsepower...... and you have a huge difference with combined weight lose AND HP gains.

but again ....i heard this from some ducati people so ..... who knows.

rx7tt95
06-09-2009, 12:11 PM
rumor is...full akra system drops 21 pounds off the bike. if true add that to a HP gain of say...8 horsepower...... and you have a huge difference with combined weight lose AND HP gains.

but again ....i heard this from some ducati people so ..... who knows.

I'm sure it does shave 21lbs. but how much of that weight is in the muffler vs. the headers? You may have 18lbs. savings just swapping out the muffler. And a better street powerband to boot.

If I had money to burn, I'd drop $2800 on a full ti system. It's sexy. Not practical, but a good conversation piece :)