PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a RS125

tigerpm7
05-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Hi there,

I am new at this and was looking at purchasing a RS125. Does anyone who has owned one recommend it? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

ThisEndUp
05-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Hi there,

I am new at this and was looking at purchasing a RS125. Does anyone who has owned one recommend it? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Yes.
Ride it harder and faster through turns than any bigger bike.
Get a surplus of knee sliders.

ThisEndUp
05-26-2009, 07:54 AM
.....and welcome :cheers:

frankd_nm
05-26-2009, 12:02 PM
That's a tough question really. I own 2 of the 2009 RS125's and I love them. But my recommendation would be based on what kind of riding you plan to do.

These make great track bikes. If you're planning on racing it, or looking for a bike to take out to the local trackdays then I would say get one.

If you're looking for a bike to take on weekend trips through the canyons AND you live somewhere that you can get the bike plated without much trouble I would say get one.

If you're looking for something to commute to work (or school) on then I would probably point you another direction. I commute from time to time on one of my RS's, but it is a short distance. If I had to commute more than 20 miles I would probably use it much less.

Steve / AF1 Racing
05-26-2009, 04:03 PM
That's a tough question really. I own 2 of the 2009 RS125's and I love them. But my recommendation would be based on what kind of riding you plan to do.

These make great track bikes. If you're planning on racing it, or looking for a bike to take out to the local trackdays then I would say get one.

If you're looking for a bike to take on weekend trips through the canyons AND you live somewhere that you can get the bike plated without much trouble I would say get one.

If you're looking for something to commute to work (or school) on then I would probably point you another direction. I commute from time to time on one of my RS's, but it is a short distance. If I had to commute more than 20 miles I would probably use it much less.

:plus: What Frank said.

Gman2005
05-26-2009, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=frankd_nm;2188932]That's a tough question really. I own 2 of the 2009 RS125's and I love them. But my recommendation would be based on what kind of riding you plan to do.

If you're looking for something to commute to work (or school) on then I would probably point you another direction. I commute from time to time on one of my RS's, but it is a short distance. If I had to commute more than 20 miles I would probably use it much less.[QUOTE]

Well I personally do 60 miles a day on my RS and I love the thing. Great in trash and in the city, not too many bikers can keep up with me when its busy. anyway mate, where you from?

Note: The RS can do the high end miles, but you wont see more then 75 with staying in a safe RPM's

tigerpm7
05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Well I personally do 60 miles a day on my RS and I love the thing. Great in trash and in the city, not too many bikers can keep up with me when its busy. anyway mate, where you from?

Note: The RS can do the high end miles, but you wont see more then 75 with staying in a safe RPM's[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help but I'm more confused. Basically I will be using it to go to and from work and the odd trip here and there. Distance to and from work one way would be 20 miles and it's freeway all the way so I'll be doing 60+ mph. I'm getting my learners real soon and I've started looking for a bike to purchase that I'll keep for a good 4-5 years, maybe more. I live in Australia so hi all :aussie: My only concern is will the 1 cylinder, 2 stroke do the job confortably. I am 6 foot tall and weigh 95kg (210 pounds). Thanks guys.

ThisEndUp
05-27-2009, 05:51 AM
I'd say, from what you just told us....
That the RS will be the wrong bike for you.

Go 4 stroke......SV650 will be big enough yet still fun in the twisties. Great bike.

Highway driving on the RS? That's kinda scary (imo).

Gman2005
05-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I'd say, from what you just told us....
That the RS will be the wrong bike for you.

Go 4 stroke......SV650 will be big enough yet still fun in the twisties. Great bike.

Highway driving on the RS? That's kinda scary (imo).

whys that? You can only go 55mph, we do 70mph and I find the bike fine, does about 20-25 mpg but if your riding a lot on the motorways or high ways then get a 4t.

Socket
05-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I daily ride mine, well, not daily..but it only see's street use as I already have a track bike.

I love it, I live in a town that doesn't rely on express/freeways, so it's mostly surface streets. the 125 does fine in stop and go, but I have yet to have it in the insane heat of 120F plus that will be happening this summer.

Dieterly
05-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Socket,

Check your PM's...

ThisEndUp
05-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Yeah, right.....

In NJ I'm doing 85-90 mph on the highways. Most of the traffic is within 10 mph of that speed.

I'd want a bike that could accelerate away hard at 80 mph +. Or else it's hood ornament city.

Riding the RS125 on Jeresy highways has to be certain death.
Back roads, another story. Highways? No way, man.

One of these days I'll take a video of highway travel here in NJ. Fucking NASCAR it is.

Gman2005
05-28-2009, 12:34 PM
good point mate, get a 400+ 4t mate if u like the end

Old Geezer
05-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Jesus, Gman, how the f*** do you get 20MPG? You'd do better than that on a race track! My RS250 does 30 odd average FFS!

Gman2005
05-28-2009, 02:09 PM
while at high rpm riding, my bike likes to drink. Normal riding though, I can see about 35ish if I am good.

Old Geezer
05-30-2009, 04:47 PM
You should be certified IMHO.