PDA

View Full Version : Changing front tire.....

Sorted
05-21-2009, 10:22 PM
I am curious to know how some of you are supporting your bike while the front wheel is removed. Can the expansion pipe bear the weight of the bike?
I am wondering if I would be better off 'hanging' the front end from the rafters :confused:

random0082
05-22-2009, 08:52 AM
I use an Abba stand, great bit of kit. Im sure you can get them in US also, or something similar?

odie_trackie
05-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/) has a lot of cheap stuff...and stuff for motorcycles.

I picked up my front stand used from a friend. Check out ebay or Craigslist.
A couple of good stands are pretty much required with motos.

frankd_nm
05-22-2009, 04:03 PM
I was able to support the bike with a floor jack under the pipe without any trouble. That was before I got a front stand. Also note that if you want a front stand you should get one that supports the bike from the steering stem. The fork lift stand I got didn't work well and didn't keep the bottom of the forks aligned. Made it very difficult to get the axle back in.

Gman2005
05-22-2009, 04:24 PM
i'd use a rear paddock stand and a jack on the engine myself mate

random0082
05-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Seriously guys, get the Abba stand. Best ive ever used, no messing about. one stand and you can have both wheels out at same time, forks out as well, everything. stable too

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=1

It only lists 'up to 98' model RS125, but works on 99 - 05 also and should work on 06+ too, same frame and swingarm

Gman2005
05-22-2009, 05:46 PM
though I am with Random, you can do so many things with it, but them weird front stands are good aswell

ThisEndUp
05-24-2009, 06:47 AM
Pit bull stands front and rear.
#2 pin for the front stand.

odie_trackie
05-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Wow! That Abba stand looks great. Do they send you a CD of Abba's greatest hits, too? :)

Seriously guys, get the Abba stand. Best ive ever used, no messing about. one stand and you can have both wheels out at same time, forks out as well, everything. stable too

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=1

It only lists 'up to 98' model RS125, but works on 99 - 05 also and should work on 06+ too, same frame and swingarm

Steve / AF1 Racing
05-24-2009, 12:13 PM
I was able to support the bike with a floor jack under the pipe without any trouble. That was before I got a front stand. Also note that if you want a front stand you should get one that supports the bike from the steering stem. The fork lift stand I got didn't work well and didn't keep the bottom of the forks aligned. Made it very difficult to get the axle back in.

You're exactly right.

The domestic options are typical forklift stands from companies like Pit-Bull, but because the RS125s Marzocchi fork bottoms are rounded, it makes the forks sit in the stand a little strangely and bind the axle upon removal.

We're now using the forklift stand with converter (also from Pit bull) on the AF1 Racing Aprilia RS125 racebike.