PDA

View Full Version : Maint. wrench symbol came on today

quagmire
05-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I have a 2009 RS125 and took it out for a ride today. I am running the Motul 710 2T injector oil, but I topped off the reservoir with a little Silkolene 2T scooter oil I had. It is also fully synthetic so I figured it would be ok. It seemed a little thicker than the Motul.

Anyway, I was having a good time on some nice twisty roads when I noticed that the little wrench icon was lit on my gauges. The icon is always on now. I noticed this just after I turned 1000km, tell me it is just a maintenance light.

I'm new to 2 strokes and am hoping this is nothing serious. If it is just a maint. indicator, how can it be reset?

I changed trans oil right away after a few heat cycles and about 300km with Agip 75w90 synthetic. I was going to change it again at 1000km, but the weather is finally breaking and I wanted to ride.

Thanks.

mekros
05-20-2009, 03:02 PM
It's telling you that it's time to take your bike into your local dealer for a service. I can't remember how to reset it, someone else will tell you the trick.

Gman2005
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
yes it is oil change time haha, ummm you really should do it though mate or you could be seeing problems later on if u don't. Do it yourself or go to the Aprilia dealership and get them to do it for you. Come to www.tjtuning.co.uk/forums/ and we can help you out alot.

quagmire
05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks. I found a post about resetting it. I have new oil on it's way now along with new spark plugs. I was reading about cleaning the power valve. I believe mine is sticking. Before today I had decent power between 6k and 8k RPM's, but now it is pretty flat. I could feel a transition in power around 6k and then again around 8k RPM's before, but now it is pretty much linear all the way to 8k RPM's.

As I said, I am new to 2 strokes. How does one go about cleaning the power valve? I'm pretty good with 4 strokes and have a well equipped garage, so I am certain I can do it myself.

As for changing the oil no worries. I had one oil change done at the dealer back in 96 and that was enough to make me start doing all my own work. The only thing I have ever had done besides that is front forks reworked by a suspension shop. I like working on bikes.

Thanks again. :cheers:

frankd_nm
05-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Cleaning the PV is pretty simple, assuming it isn't gummed up so bad that it doesn't want to come out. Simply remove the PV and clean it off. If it is just gummy you can use chemical cleaners to remove the gunk. If is has carbon build up you will want something more aggressive (like a brush) to remove the deposits. I know I saw a sticky note about the process someplace. You might check in the RS125 Euro Archive section http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98428 for more information on the removal and cleaning.

quagmire
05-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I was checking out the diagrams on AF1's website. Here is what I was looking at;

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/fehren2800/forsale/table_45-RS125jpg.gif

Do I need to replace any of the gaskets? Also, which one am I looking at for my 2009? I'm assuming the more one on the right, as the left one appears to be manually adjusted. Is that gasket (#7 part) reusable? I want to be prepared before I tear into it. I hate getting something torn down only to find that I need a gasket or O ring, sealing washer etc. to put it back together.

Also, what controls this valve? And when does it open and close? Thanks. You guys rock.

Dieterly
05-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Not sure what you mean, but the valve itself is #3.

Just remove the radiatior, remove the #12 bolts, pull out the valve, and clean it like Frank said (FYI, I cleaned mine with brake cleaner, and scraped off the carbon build-up with a razor blade). At least on my bike the gasket (#7), was fine to re-use. Also, you might be able to remove the valve without taking off the radiator.

Here is some more info.... http://www.tjtuning.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=65

Gman2005
05-21-2009, 05:32 AM
alright mate, as long the PV isn't stuck in the cylinder, there isn't any need to take the radiator off. As I am the one who wrote up about cleaning the PV system. Oil everything up aswell mate. The gasket can be used up until it starts to rip apart. You can replace it if you like though

Rock Oil do a wicked gearbox oil, its so smooth even with a old gearbox like mine. BR10EG spark Plug will be fine for a standard engine set up. Also, the airfilter shouldn't need cleaning but its fine to have a look. Might want to put a K&N or Piperx filter in there, makes the bike feel smoother and doesn't need re jetting.

quagmire
05-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Sounds easy enough. As for oiling everything up, I assume you mean the valve workings, but what type of oil? I have another jug of Agip trans oil on the way. I'm not familiar with Rock Oil, I'm guessing it is a UK brand.

I'll be getting all my supplies on Tuesday, so I'll tear it apart then and have a look see. Thanks again.

alright mate, as long the PV isn't stuck in the cylinder, there isn't any need to take the radiator off. As I am the one who wrote up about cleaning the PV system. Oil everything up aswell mate. The gasket can be used up until it starts to rip apart. You can replace it if you like though

Rock Oil do a wicked gearbox oil, its so smooth even with a old gearbox like mine. BR10EG spark Plug will be fine for a standard engine set up. Also, the airfilter shouldn't need cleaning but its fine to have a look. Might want to put a K&N or Piperx filter in there, makes the bike feel smoother and doesn't need re jetting.

Gman2005
05-21-2009, 08:33 AM
no its an American company. Where are you from? Aslong as its 75w90 and a high quality oil, it will be fine mate. Oil up the cables too and check the chain and sprocket. The stock chain kit is main out of cheese lol.

If you need any help, PM or come talk to us on www.tjtuning.co.uk/forums/

Gman

quagmire
05-21-2009, 09:06 AM
I did not know that, I thought I knew all the oil companies. I am in the US, Ohio actually. I'm using Agip 75w90 fully synthetic, which I think is decent. It seems to shift fairly well. Ha, ha, ha. Funny about the chain, I was looking at it and it seems to be cheap industry bulk chain. I'll check out that site. Thanks.

no its an American company. Where are you from? Aslong as its 75w90 and a high quality oil, it will be fine mate. Oil up the cables too and check the chain and sprocket. The stock chain kit is main out of cheese lol.

If you need any help, PM or come talk to us on www.tjtuning.co.uk/forums/

Gman

Dieterly
05-21-2009, 09:58 AM
:banana:Doesn't look very American to me... http://www.rockoil.co.uk/

Steve / AF1 Racing
05-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Here's a link to the thread on how to remove the service icon:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176399&highlight=service+light

Just in case somebody searches this thread in the future.

quagmire
05-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Well, I am at a standstill trying to remove my powervalve for cleaning. I took off the lowers and reached right in and removed the 2 allen head bolts. The cover for the valve popped right off about a half inch or so, but the valve blade is stuck bad.

Is there an easy way to get this out? I see now why the bike had been acting funny, this thing doesn't move at all. A little help... :bangwall::bangwall::bangwall:

Gman2005
05-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Right mate, warm the engine up, the pv doesn't need to be wired up for this. Makes it easier if you don't put the cable back on. If you can, spray GT85 on the opening of the PV to break through the carbon and think oil. You can use WD40 but its not nearly as good and will take you ages to do.

Keep the engine hot and shuffle the PV side to side if you have to. It will come out given time. The owner of mine didn't clean his for a 1000 miles and it took me about 3 days for my to get it out. But you will need some strength to get the PV out though.

PS, if it comes to it, take the rad off and get a blow touch on the blade.

quagmire
05-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks. I'll go give that a try then. Off to the garage!

Right mate, warm the engine up, the pv doesn't need to be wired up for this. Makes it easier if you don't put the cable back on. If you can, spray GT85 on the opening of the PV to break through the carbon and think oil. You can use WD40 but its not nearly as good and will take you ages to do.

Keep the engine hot and shuffle the PV side to side if you have to. It will come out given time. The owner of mine didn't clean his for a 1000 miles and it took me about 3 days for my to get it out. But you will need some strength to get the PV out though.

PS, if it comes to it, take the rad off and get a blow touch on the blade.

quagmire
05-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks to all for the tips. Warming up the bike worked like a charm. I got the blade out and it was pretty dirty with sticky carbon build up. I cleaned it all of and got it shined up and back in. Drained my trans oil, got the bike all shined up and of course it is raining today. Oh well. I'll road test it soon.

Thanks again.:peace:

Gman2005
05-27-2009, 05:15 PM
its alright mate, thats what the forum is for, just clean it after about 20 rides.

quagmire
05-27-2009, 06:34 PM
its alright mate, thats what the forum is for, just clean it after about 20 rides.

20 rides! I don't leave home for a ride unless I'm doing at least 150 miles. I'm thinking around 1000km or so. Does this sound reasonable?

Gman2005
05-27-2009, 06:59 PM
well it depends, the older bikes are set up to be dirtier but they don't use as much oil and petrol as they dont use cats! sounds weird but true lol So I find i can do about 2000 miles without cleaning it and it always comes out without any hassle. If your doing 150 miles in one go, just let the bike have half way break and don't stay in one gear too long. Not that Iv ever had problems, just helps. Plus make sure its solid before leaving out.

quagmire
05-27-2009, 07:10 PM
well it depends, the older bikes are set up to be dirtier but they don't use as much oil and petrol as they dont use cats! sounds weird but true lol So I find i can do about 2000 miles without cleaning it and it always comes out without any hassle. If your doing 150 miles in one go, just let the bike have half way break and don't stay in one gear too long. Not that Iv ever had problems, just helps. Plus make sure its solid before leaving out.

Good to know. Mine is an 09. As far as leaving it in one gear too long, that is definitely not a problem. The roads I ride have decent elevation change and lots of curves. I'm constantly switching up gears.

It is all back together and I took it out for a short spin and the valve seems to be working fine. :banana: