PDA

View Full Version : Engine Splutter

evl885
05-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi All

Really cool site and yes im a newbie to this site and bikes...
I just got a 2006 RS125 :burnout: last Friday(sorry if im in the wrong section) and i've noticed two issues with the bike, any assistance would be appreciated.

1. When the bike is cold and i start it up it idles for a abit then stalls... I pull the choke all the way down, press ignition and it starts no issues. I put my helmet on, then one glove and then it will stall. I need to keep holding the throttle to avoid stalling.
After starting the engine do i need to adjust the choke immediately, or is there something else im doing wrong?

2. I ran out of oil yesterday and got Castrol 2T full synthetic. I proceeded to pour it into the oil tank under the chair, was I suppose to mix this with water? I’ve read a lot of chatter about premix ratio?
Three hours after I topped up the oil and the engine was cold, I heated the engine back up with my usual routine. Once warm I rode home, about 8mins and all the way home it wouldn’t rev properly and spluttered a lot… Since im at work now I can't check and its been playing on my mind but maybe I left the choke pulled down and rode home… would this have an effect?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers
John

Gman2005
05-18-2009, 04:07 AM
alright mate, go to www.tjtuning.co.uk/forums/ theres loads of help there for you.

evl885
05-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks GMan that site was very useful!

My Bike is now dead... I came home and tried to start it, turned over fine idled for about 20sec then stalled and would not re-fire...

I've checked fuel, kill switch, oil, battery and all if fine, i did the following:
1. held the start button for 30sec, cranked but nothing else
2. held start button while pulling throttle, cranked but nothing else
3. did a hill start, which seemed to turn the engine but revs just drop and stalls with no response to throttle

I pulled out the spark plug and it was quiet black, so i gave it a clean. Tested the plug for a spark which it did give off however it seemed very weak... weaker then a gas stove ignighter

I drove around for an hour trying to find a petrol station which sold plugs but none had the correct size, will try again tomorrow morning at an auto shop.

Any other suggestions anyone?

Cheers
John

Gman2005
05-18-2009, 11:03 AM
what oil did you use before mixing it with TTS?

Running with the chock on will kill the engine as in a weird way, it can lean out the mixture of the fuel being used. Plus, try starting the engine at half chock and don't pull the throttle until the starter motor has turned a few times. I must say though, kick starts on the RS are amazing, 1 compression kick and then the start kick. lol

evl885
05-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Happy days!!!!
changed the spark and the engine started first go, ontop of that no splutter and no stalling!!!

NGK-R = $15 = Happiness