PDA

View Full Version : Gilles Tooling Rearset

jjt17
05-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Anyone else running Gilles Tooling Rearsets?

Im picking up my RS125 on tuesday and it has a set installed. I might be inclined to part with them, if someone is interested (just to help defray some of the cost of the bike).

I'd only really be interested in trades for street parts. (ie the parts i need for street use)

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4966/gilles.jpg (http://img194.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gilles.jpg)

fnfalman
05-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Keep it!!! That's hot!

The_Reaper
05-17-2009, 11:04 AM
how much would you be looking for, for them?

jjt17
05-17-2009, 11:11 AM
not sure that even want to sell them, and im not even sure what they cost new. I think they may be close to $500 if you can find them. I have no idea where he got them from. I'll find out in a couple days when i pick the bike up.

they are pretty hot though

Gman2005
05-17-2009, 12:19 PM
how much would you be looking for, for them?

its cheaper to buy them in england or europe mate. Rather then having them shipped over from the US of A

The_Reaper
05-17-2009, 03:59 PM
yeh i see what you mean Gman :D 300 new on pj's site, i just wondered if i could get a good offer :p: no worrys :)

Gman2005
05-17-2009, 06:49 PM
yeh i see what you mean Gman :D 300 new on pj's site, i just wondered if i could get a good offer :p: no worrys :)

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/262

Gman2005
05-17-2009, 06:53 PM
saying that reaper, I think Adam Shelton might have some for sale. I think that what he told me

makan44
03-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Anyone know where to get these in the US?
Didnt see on AF1.

Thanks!

Socket
03-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Anyone know where to get these in the US?
Didnt see on AF1.

Thanks!

Being you plan on using the bike at the track only, I'd suggest woodcraft over gilles. the woodcrafts will have a lot more "extras" floating around the paddock.

makan44
03-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Being you plan on using the bike at the track only, I'd suggest woodcraft over gilles. the woodcrafts will have a lot more "extras" floating around the paddock.

This is very true.
I went with Vortex on my gixxer for that reason.
But the Woodcrafts look like it doesnt come with a heel guard on one side, which seems really stupid and is a deal breaker for me.
And if you add in the levers the price is getting close to the gilles.
I'm not racing it so part of this bikes job is to look good in my collection.

You have to admit the gilles are sexy!

Socket
03-11-2010, 07:01 AM
This is very true.
I went with Vortex on my gixxer for that reason.
But the Woodcrafts look like it doesnt come with a heel guard on one side, which seems really stupid and is a deal breaker for me.
And if you add in the levers the price is getting close to the gilles.
I'm not racing it so part of this bikes job is to look good in my collection.

You have to admit the gilles are sexy!

they definitely are sexy, but missing a track day because it takes two-three weeks to get another set of pegs etc. would be a deal breaker.

jjt17
03-11-2010, 05:47 PM
I still have these and would still sell them, shoot me an offer if interested

makan44
03-11-2010, 10:26 PM
they definitely are sexy, but missing a track day because it takes two-three weeks to get another set of pegs etc. would be a deal breaker.

You are giving solid advice and I appreciate that.
But thing is I'm never going to have this at the track without my 600, so if I happen to go down I'll switch bikes. If i go down twice, i better call it a day anyway. Also could bring stockers for emergency.

makan44
03-11-2010, 10:39 PM
I still have these and would still sell them, shoot me an offer if interested

What condition you think they are in on scale of 1 - 10, 10 being mint?
Does the gold finish wear off with heavy use? I would think not if their anodized, but black vortexes are wearing through to the silver, but I don't know what kind of finish is on them, maybe their painted or something.

Hmm, I don't know.
I don't even know what the exact USD price is for them.
But If I was selling something used (like my $750 Acculign rearsets) I would want to get 50% of retail cost.
So assuming their in good condition I would be willing to pay 50% of retail, plus shipping fees.
What do yo think?

Stanley_Aprilia
03-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Ive used Gilles before and would recommend the quality but those cf heel guards wear very quick and there 35 each to replace when worn. There are better/cheaper alternatives for racing purposes as stated above. Adjustable is great if you get cramp easy though :)

coffee
03-20-2010, 04:43 AM
I have a a black set. These are the best looking set you can get for our bikes with a heap of adjustment, I would think twice about keeping them. If going to race and worried about the replacement of pegs, surely you can afford to then buy 1 or 2 pairs and have in reserve ready.

makan44
03-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Me got gold ones on the way from the UK :)

makan44
03-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Gents, I need some help please.
I'm having a nightmare time fitting these Gilles.
Emailed the place I bought them from and they said they think the directions are incorrect. I'm not sure if I was sent the wrong kit, or if I'm just an idiot, or what. Installed aftermarker rearsets on every bike I have owned and never had an issue.

These came with two 12mm spacers and two 4 mm spacers. Instructions say 12 mm goes on top mount and 4 mm on bottom mount. That doesnt seem right because when instaled like that the pegs are bend downward.

Seems like they would line up straight with same size spacers on each side, so I tried both 4mm on right, but then the bolts are too long and almost rubbing the chain. Tried both 12mm on right side but then the bolt is too short to get through the spacer and chain holder and nut on the right lower side. No matter how I try to configure it something doesnt seem right.

I'm sooo ready to toss them in the trash.

This is what they looked like when I follwed the instructions.

Could either of you guys who have them fitted shed some light on the situation please?

Thanks Much!

02ditech
03-31-2010, 01:29 AM
Ok, so you're not an idiot, looks like you got everything on the parts list and followed the instructions to the letter.

Do you even need the spacers? How does everything look/fit if you leave them out completely. Might be time to pay a visit to your local fastener supply to source the "correct" bolt lengths.

makan44
03-31-2010, 08:22 AM
Ya just trying to exhaust all options before I come up with a home made solution.
Giving the place I bought them from a chance to gather some info.
I was going to order 2 more 4mm spacers and run 4s all the way around.
They sit flush when spaced evenly. No spacers puts them in a bit far and too close to the frame it seems. Only problem would be that right bottom. If that black HA14 holder thing is behind the frame mount the nut seems too cose to the chain. It was grinding on my test run. Only other thing I can think of would be to put that black holder outside & stack it behind the 4 mm spacer, the 2 of them together about equal the 12mm spacer on top. But then the chain roller is not under the chain, would need a big spacer to move it back under. Plus on the left side it really seems like it should be behind the frame. So I came to the conclusion they need to be behind the frame.

02ditech
03-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately all to common experience.

IMO most aftermarket kit is usually just a starting point needing to be modified to make it fit, work, or look right.

Already on the RS have had to cut and re-weld the bracket for the Arrow exhaust to allow it to hang correctly. And had to weld up a pinhole in the exhaust itself.

Also the R&G tail tidy needed modification to accommodate a US plate.

makan44
04-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Hmm, maybe this is just part of the fun with owning the RS 125 :)

I've heard of issues when you combine 2 different aftermarket parts like an exhaust with rearsets, then running into clearance issues and what not.

Ya know looking back at the OPs pic, it almost looks like there are no spacers on there. And I also don't see the HA14 holder thing. Looks like he has the black thing that holds the fairing bolted directly into the long hex looking thing. I thought that was supposed to help support the exhaust or something.

OH well time to stop being anal.
I may just say... F the spacers, F the HA14 holders, and F the chain roller.
Then ride it like I stole and hopefully I will lowside it at the track and snap these freakin things off the bike.

Should have listened to socket and went with the woodcrafts - lol

Socket
04-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Should have listened to socket and went with the woodcrafts - lol

The irony of this; This isn't the first suggestion you've completely ignored from me and went with what you thought would be best.

That said, http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/default.asp

If you have a problem with their product...You don't call a distributor, or a shop...You call the owner whom probably personally machined the set you bought.

makan44
04-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Thats not true, I always listen to Socket, except for when I don't.

Something like rearsets is more of a personal preference thing.
If you told me they don't fit right and I still got them that would be a different story.

They are sending me more spacers and bolts so I should have what I need to get them sorted when the they arrive.

I'll finally get to ride this thing April 12th!