PDA

View Full Version : new 2009 RS125 problems

synkroniz
05-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Hi all! I just picked up my new '09 RS125 and LOVE it so far! Problem is I have about 95 kilometers on it (I'm Canadian... yea yea eh) and the warning light is on full time now, along with the low fuel light and the water/coolant temp indicator is blinking in the top right corner (assuming this is the water coolant temp warning indicator since I have no owners manual!).

The red warning indicator clicked on right after I brought it home, so I did some digging around and found some people having problems with the light and the basic solution was to put in more 2T oil...I thought it odd since I had only taken it for a quick ride (around 10-15km total) then parked it.. and the dealership had put oil in (and I could visually see oil in the tank from the rear). Either way, I went out and bought a quart of AMSOIL Synthetic 2-cycle oil (says on the front label "HP INJECTOR - Premium DFI Package - For top performance with DFI, EFI and Carbureted Fuel systems). On the back label it claims it is recommended for TC-W3 and API-TC applications as injector oil or as 50:1 pre-mix... "Use in two-cycle personal watercraft, jet boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles and ATVs"

So I figured this stuff should do the trick. The oil was put in with around 25KM on the odometer, then I went for a couple rides (TRYYYYYING my hardest to keep it at a reasonable pace.. lol!) with a few stops in between (cool downs... break in... trying... lol) and now the odometer has roughly 100km on the bike.

A few blocks away from my house the low fuel light came on... then went out. I thought it weird I would already be out/nearly out of fuel since the tank was 100% full the day before so I rode it even more gentle, got home and checked the fuel tank to see if it TRULY was empty... and it was not, not even close!

Now when I turn on the key (bike not running) the center warning indicator is on, the low fuel indicator is on and the coolant/water temp indicator in the top right corner is either on full time or blinking.

What could this mean? I just received the bike from the dealership (albeit the guys that I bought it from - an "authorized" Aprilia dealer didnt seem to know a rats ass about this bike) and have only ridden it for around 100kms... I dont know what could really be wrong with it?

I looked under the tank and checked the coolant reservoir and all of that seemed to be at an acceptable level.

Did that AMSOIL I put in there break something? I cant see it happening... but I dont understand otherwise. Can anybody help out a new Aprilia owner? I would appreciate it!!

I will take some pictures (or a video?) of what the head unit is doing in hopes that might help somebody if required.

random0082
05-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Stuff like fuel and oil low level lights tend to flicker on and off. When your riding, leaning and braking etc, the fluid sloshes about and the sensors are temp uncovered, hence the lights. same when the bike is leant over to one side on the stand

jokerio
05-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Now when I turn on the key (bike not running) the center warning indicator is on, the low fuel indicator is on and the coolant/water temp indicator in the top right corner is either on full time or blinking.

Did that AMSOIL I put in there break something? I cant see it happening... but I dont understand otherwise. Can anybody help out a new Aprilia owner? I would appreciate it!!

When you turn on the key with the bike not running, most of the warning lights will be on for a few moments just to comfirm that they work.
While riding, the fuel light will sometimes go on for a while and then go off, but this is only when you are getting close to the low level warning, and this is normal.
As far as possibly hurting the bike by using AMSOIL, no....

swissmister
05-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Trevor,

Where are you located? Just curious to know where you bought your bike from.

I'm in Toronto and I have an 09 as well. I have over 1200 km on my unit now and although I have had a few minor issues, so far mine has been running strong.

What I have noticed though is that if the bike is on an angle or fuel is low - - the sensors tend to act a bit wonky. If your issues are merely malfunctioning ions on your display, I wouldn't worry. I would be more concerned if something was mechanically wrong.

If you are in the GTA and wanna meet up for a ride once, let me know.

swiss//mister

synkroniz
05-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Actually, now that you mention angles and what not, I turned the bike 180 degrees using the side stand the night the lights started doing this, so the bike was leaned over slightly while running... hmmmmmmmm

I cant figure out a way to get the lights off to see if they come back, is there a way to do this (without disconnecting the battery)?

And sorry, I am in Edmonton... I bought the bike from Blackfoot motosports in Calgary (GREAT dealership, btw).

Trevor,

Where are you located? Just curious to know where you bought your bike from.

I'm in Toronto and I have an 09 as well. I have over 1200 km on my unit now and although I have had a few minor issues, so far mine has been running strong.

What I have noticed though is that if the bike is on an angle or fuel is low - - the sensors tend to act a bit wonky. If your issues are merely malfunctioning ions on your display, I wouldn't worry. I would be more concerned if something was mechanically wrong.

If you are in the GTA and wanna meet up for a ride once, let me know.

swiss//mister