PDA

View Full Version : New Review

Cochise
05-01-2009, 01:36 PM
This is probably the most accurate review that I've read.

http://themotorcyclereview.com/

shadyman
05-01-2009, 04:09 PM
I'll second that!

SilverFoxUno
05-01-2009, 06:28 PM
So, who is the target user of a Mana? Is it me (a seasoned vet with hundred of thousands of miles under his belt)? A beginning rider who doesn't want a scooter? A former scooter rider looking for a more conventional looking motorcycle? What's left?

For me (and me alone), I think the author nailed the essence of the Mana - a conventional motorcycle that is anything but conventional. It could handle better or could have more adjustability in the suspension. It could be more powerful (at times) but I think the limiting factor in the belt drive and how long it might last if it had to handle, say, 10 more HP.

I really like my Mana. I liked this article for the way the author described other journalists and the closed minds to inovation and the unconventional - pie heads. Again, for me (and me alone), I like the seat height and the foot operated rear brake...but a hand operated rear brake might be interesting...I better close my mind 'cause if I don't, my brains may fall out.

Shiver101
05-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Hello Fellow Aprilia riders forgive me if this Link has already been put up but I just watched Jay Leno's test ride of the Mana and thought it was worth slapping up here hope you enjoy.http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=738141

dougl
05-07-2009, 02:33 AM
I agree with the reviewer, particularly that the rear brake would be easier to modulate with the left hand, rather than the right foot. I wonder if it would be possible to adapt the braking system from its sister, the Gilera GP800 to suit the rear?

tha-mask
05-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Yes I also agree about the rear brake, having been on scoots for so long even a year later I find the brake for the rear on the handle bar far more easy to use. I have really tried to train myself so that when I need to brake quickly I always use the foot first then the front, as grabbing a fist full of front break will more than likely see you going down with the bike, nearly happened to me.

pete roper
05-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Why do bikes have dirty great big twin discs at the front and a weedy little one on the rear? Because it's the front wheel that does almost all the stopping.

Front first, then a bit of rear to steady things is the usual suggestion but I hardly use the rear at all apart from for sterering and emergency situations.

As you apply the front weight transfers forward and pushes the tyre into the road making it LESS likely to break traction. Starting the slowing proccedure with the rear will be far more likely to result in a crash. Not 'Going Down' that implies some sort of unavoidable, heroic action. If you fall off and smash the bike it's nobody's fault but your own, (Unless someone turns in front of you etc.). I used to fall off lots by pushing the envelope a bit too far. I don't bounce as well as I used to so I don't do it as often nowadays but it still happens and when it does its nobody's fault but my own.

Fess up. if you fall off it's 'cos you can't ride. If you're using the back before the front you need to go back to primary school and do basic physics.

Pete

Mana-in-NC
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Pete,

Remember that, as a few posters implied, that the Mana will attract more moped riders than create crossover bike riders that learn how awesome the automatic feature is. Although I totally agree with your braking info, as it is the reality, for those that have no or little motorcycle experience, breaking the habit of using the rear brake more than the front will be very hard, for most.

I had a moped in High School, but I certainly have ridden on a motorcycle 2000x more than on that moped. So, although for me, I hardly remember the moped experience, most on this forum will be coming from that experience.

So, handle brakes, "going down" and the such will be much more common on this part of the forum. Also, "going down" really just implies that you didn't hit anything, where as "crashing" implies that you were hit or hit something else. Although, in the motorcycle wold, "laying it down," "laying down," or "laid down" are far more common phases, and they take ownership of the responsibility for the mistake that lead to the result.

Try to be patient. We'll convert them, even if it's slowly ;-)

SilverFoxUno
05-07-2009, 04:28 PM
From another group to which I posted the article link:

"I'll choke to death on my own puke before I'll buy a bike without a clutch & a
shift lever to kick. I can't stand automatics, they bore me to death. Same with
4-wheeled vehicles. For me, shifting is just part of it. I can see the appeal to
new riders, as it will take less skill to learn to ride. If the day comes that
all bikes have automatics, I'll just keep riding my 2nd gen. VFR's until I'm too
old to ride."

This is what a closed mind looks like...

I think there needs some clarification in regard to the term "automatic" since it isn't your typical car type auto transmission. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is unique on the road (with the exception of many scooters and that OLD tote-goat we had when I was a kid). THe Mana CVT is computer controlled to keep the engine in the "sweet" spot for the mode, load and throttle position. While seemingly simple in design, it is far more sophisticated than a standard dog-tooth motorcycle multi-ratio transmission. The more I study my Mana, the more I like it.

Mana-in-NC
05-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Jim,

I agree with all your points. Being closed minded is a choice, and an individual's right. I also have the right to despise all people that are closed minded :bangwall: so, in general, I do (or at least I don't care to spend much time with them). All it would take, in about 99% of the cases, is for someone to just get on the bike and take it for a ride. If they still feel the same, at least it would be based on reality, not ignorance.

What I find the most appealing is that I have choices. I can shift with my foot, I can shift with the finger paddles or I can choose one of the auto modes. Now granted, I don't have a clutch, but I certainly don't care about that.

So, isn't that usually the main criteria that is set to determine if something is considered an "advancement" in all realms of manufacturing, technology, industry, agriculture, medical, scientific and all other ventures? Choice. I know for sure it's the American way. I'm glad to find out that it is the Italian way too, thank you Aprilia :worship: