PDA

View Full Version : Mana 850 ABS in the US

Gierling
04-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Hello, due to a chance encounter with an upturned gas main cover I'm in the market for a new bike, the mana 850 sounds perfect but I really would like a bike with ABS.

IS there any chance that we could get that bike here in the US? Any rumors or scuttlebutt about whether its coming?

Dman51
04-27-2009, 06:13 AM
We will most likely get the Mana 850 ABS at some point though when a new bike releases in Europe it tends to take about a year until we see it here. I would still consider the Mana 850 though as it is a great bike.

chrisrappl
04-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Gierling,

I have had two BMWs with ABS and presently own a Mana without ABS. I thought long and hard about going back to a bike without it. Here are some thoughts based upon my experiences:
In well over 50k miles the only time that I activated the ABS was during practice and training excercises. It is nice to know that it is there just in case and I'm not positive that even with regular braking practice that I will never need it, but I try to ride safely and with enough of a safety cushion around me that so far I have been able to stay out of that type of situation (for the most part).

Based only on my experience with the BMW ABS system it is complicated and requires annual service. Bleeding and testing of the control circuit one year and bleeding and testing of the brake circuit the next year with complete flushing of the respective circuit each time. To do the service according to the factory manual it also requires the use of the diagnostic computer.
The guys that I ride with have BMWs with ABS and I help maintain their bikes. We did have a brake failure on one of the R1150GSs out of warranty which required replacing the pump. The price of a new pump was something like $1,100.00 for the pump alone. We were able to buy a used pump at half price and did the work ourselves, but... It was pretty involved and pricey.

Some riders will telll you that they can stop faster without ABS and the test reports generally bear this out. I am not that skilled a rider that I would bet my life that I could outperform a computerized system especially in a panic situation. Since getting the Mana I have spent a lot more time practicing evasive manuvers including stopping as quickly as I can without locking either wheel. Truth be told, I spend the time because it is fun on the Mana, but it doesn't hurt to know the bike's and the rider's limits. I hope that with enough practice I will respond instinctively if I do end up in a panic situation.

So, back to your question - I made the decision to get the Mana without ABS and I don't regret it.

If, in a few years, I am faced with the choice between two identical bikes on the showroom floor (one with ABS, one without ABS) I guess that I would look at the life cycle cost difference, dependibility of the more complicated system and weight difference and make my best decision from there.

Gierling
04-28-2009, 10:02 PM
I've decided on the abs feature, failing that I will not purchase a new motorcycle.

So right now my hope is that we get a Mana or Shiver with ABS in the US soon or that I can find an 07 or 08 sv650 abs for a reasonable price.

ManaSport
04-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Well I kinda of felt the original mana was lacking to me, I will wait for a GT which comes with ABS standard anyway. gives it a bit more taste.

revorg
04-29-2009, 08:24 AM
I really would like a Mana, but I won't buy without ABS. It has saved my bacon.
The new Honda ABS for their CBR1000 and 600 machines, called CABS, has received universal positive coverage. It is the first designed for sport bikes and beats top riders in stopping. Expensive.
In this months Rider (I think it was Rider) magazine covering the Honda CABS, there was a side bar on the ABS for the Shiver, Mana and Dorsoduro. As I recall the article, the largest ABS design company for automobiles designed it. They did a new ABS for BMW also.