PDA

View Full Version : breaking in new engine

fatnobo
04-26-2009, 03:53 AM
hello guys i just bought an 09 rs125 and as an inexperienced rider i was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to break in the engine properly. please leave your comments here thank you!

frankd_nm
04-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Start by taking short rides on it. Little 5-10 min trips around the block if you can. Just enough to get the bike up to operating temp. Keep it below 5k rpm. Bring it home and let it cool down for at least an hour or so. Then repeat the process. Gently bring it up to temp and let it cool down.

Keep the engine below 5k rpm for at least the first 100-150 miles. During the next 100 miles take a little longer rides, but keep in mind that you want the engine to heat up and give it time to cool back down. During this second 100 mile period I let it rev to 6k rpm.

Then after about 200-250 miles start revving to about 7k rpm. Still be gentle and keep working on getting lots of heat cycles on the engine. Heat it up and let it cool all the way down.

After 300-350 miles start letting it rev. The engine is still a bit tight, but you can feel it start to loosen up a bit and rev a bit faster and smoother.

I've done this with 2 RS's now and haven't had a problem with either one of them. The first one has seen lots of track and race time since and still runs strong with no problems. The second one runs great too and is used to commute back and forth to work at least 4 times a week with no problems either.

Socket
04-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Jet the bike correctly and be gentle on it the first couple times riding. Heat cycles is going to be the most decieding factor on a single cylinder 2 stroke at first. Let it fully heat, and fully cool off two times before putting a large load on the motor.

newtomoto
04-29-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm taking it to the dyno next week to get it broken in.

Gman2005
04-30-2009, 07:23 AM
hello guys i just bought an 09 rs125 and as an inexperienced rider i was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to break in the engine properly. please leave your comments here thank you!

alright mate, you should do at least 1000 miles on the engine to insure your warrenty is covered and the engine is properly ran it.

first 200 miles below 5k and then every 100 miles bring it up by one 1k at a time. Every know and then though, give it a little high revs, nothing more then 8k though, if that. You will feel the engine and it will become a lovely runner.

Where you from mate?

Gman

banzairx7
04-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Where are you going to put 200 miles on a 125cc staying under 5,000rpm? That seems like a good way to get run over. My engine builder told me not so much to worry about rpm's but load. He had the same advice as others on here about the heat cycling. Let it warm up, shut it off for an hour and repeat three times.

The other thing I would question is on a factory built new bike these bikes are run on a dyno before going out the door. From every video Ive seen of this process there doesn't seem to be much regard in the way of heat cycling or low load break in.

Gman2005
04-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Heat Cycling is fine when you have changed your top end. But when you have all them bearing that need breaking in. You need to take it slowly. Its hard but you can run for the bike at the RPM, just go to place local and don't go on highways/motorways.

Gman

fatnobo
04-30-2009, 04:04 PM
thanks a lot guys for your replies! i'll learn more as i go i guess :)

ThisEndUp
05-01-2009, 05:55 AM
thanks a lot guys for your replies! i'll learn more as i go i guess :)

Where are you at? State/Country , I mean.