PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't that rot ter socks!??

pete roper
04-24-2009, 04:05 AM
So this mad Dutchman contacts me wanting to rent a Guzzi. I don't rent but I do lend. He's vouched for by one of the 'Good Guys' in the Guzzi community so I tell him I'm waiting for the recall parts for the 8V so he'll have to take the Mana.

So he gets to Sydney and it starts blowing main fuses! This bike that has been 100% reliable suddenly goes tits.:bump:.

Obviously it's something fairly simple, a major short somewhere, I've got my Mate John at Motocicolo to take it on, it should be simple, but what a pain for the poor bastard who took me on trust.

He may yet get his wish to do the east coast on a Guzzi! If the 'Prilla turns out to be a sod I'll take the 8V up to Sydney on Sunday and swap it for the Mana, I did the cam recall on the Guzz this AM!:happy:

Pete

dougl
04-24-2009, 05:11 AM
Oh shit. Let us know what it was in case it is something we should all check...

:WTF:

pete roper
04-24-2009, 05:33 AM
It's a simple shorting problem. If the main fuse chucks a thromby it's because there is a direct short to earth. Where? Battery feed to the starter motor or, given it blows the fuse a couple of seconds after the motor starts, the headlight. Have you noticed the time delay between when the motor starts and the ECU throws in the lighting circuit?

This sort of crap can and does happen to ANY machine, it's NOTHING for you to be concerned about, it's not an *Issue* it's just ironic and irritating that it should happen when some other poor bastard is riding my bike rather than me.

HTFU :-)=)

Pete

chrisrappl
04-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Pete,

Sorry to hear about the short.
Did he ride through some heavy rain?
Does he have anything plugged into the 12v outlet in the compartment? Maybe a GPS and the cord got pinched when he closed the cover?

williamr
04-25-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm sort of with Pete on this one, but knowing Aprilia's quailty control it'd be nice to know that it isn't caused by a poorly routed wire somewhere rubbing through to cause the short. That could affect all Manas.

Rob

pete roper
04-25-2009, 01:05 PM
I think Chriss may have it nailed. He has got a GPS but it's not a bar mounted one, just our car one stuck in the box. Who knows how he's got it set up?

Thing is he's a mechanical neophyte, nowt wrong with that but it does mean he can't diagnose a blown globe!

My guesses are either power outlet or somewhere up by the steering head. Intermittent faults like this are always a pain to diagnose though.

Pete

dougl
04-25-2009, 01:48 PM
but knowing Aprilia's quailty control

Is this known to be good, bad or, as implied above, patchy?

williamr
04-26-2009, 10:21 AM
They have a lousy reputation for electrics, and a habit of mixing UK, US and EU components such as instruments on the production line. A UK bike with a speedo reading in kph and a fuel computer reading in US mpg instead of imperial was one of mine. Mistranslated manuals, especially items like capacities or torque figures, don't help.

My experience is that once an owner has sorted out the initial teething troubles - and some things might 12 months to surface - they're not too bad. Forums like this allow owners to get information and fixes. If you have an Ape of any kind, just keep an eye on the forums.

Pete - I had a fault like his on Honda once. Turned out to be a wire to the headlamp (in a fairing) rubbing on the bottom yolk and blowing the main fuse every couple of months. Took over a year to find. Like you say - a real pain to diagnose.

Rob

pete roper
04-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Well I tore into the bugger yesterday, all the plastics off, (A job in itself!):bangwall: and went over the relevant parts of the loom with a fine tooth comb. Nothing! Nada! Zip! and of course its stopped blowing fuses now:pissed:!

Oh well, all I can assume is that it must of got some water in one of the TCU connections as that is probably the most likely thing to get wet when I hit it with the steam cleaner.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so lazy and should use a bucket and rag?:happy: Or perhaps I should be lazier and not bother washing it at all!!!!!:bump:

Pete