PDA

View Full Version : Rotella T Synthetic

djtroy
04-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Can I use this for both engine and tranny in my sxv 550?

djtroy
04-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Can I use this for both engine and tranny in my sxv 550?

Anyone?

Allen Noland
04-19-2009, 06:11 AM
The engine and the tranny take 2 different kinds of oil, 10-60 synthetic for the engine and 75-90 gear oil for the tranny. I haven't seen any Rotella T synthetic in 10-60. The rotella gear oil has several additives in it, so I don't think that I would take a chance and use it in a wet clutch application.

ETN550
04-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Isn't Rotella T a diesel engine oil? I would stay with a 10-60 synthetic motorcycle oil or the 10-60 synthetic BMW oil.

HKB3
04-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Isn't Rotella T a diesel engine oil? I would stay with a 10-60 synthetic motorcycle oil or the 10-60 synthetic BMW oil.

I know alot of people that use Rotella-T in their inline 4 bikes although I would not use it in the Ape`s besides it the wrong spec/weight

antbreon
04-19-2009, 10:48 AM
run over to cycle gear they carry redline ...for the gear box... and they have 10 50 motorex for the engine you can use it isnt hot yet... if you cant get to the bmw dealer for the 10 60.... broward doesnt have 10 60 ??? they are open on sunday .. if they dont tell them they need to ...i will too so they will get it in...

antbreon
04-19-2009, 07:59 PM
i was at broward and they didnt have the 10 60 ..they said they were going to get some in ...:lame: cycle gear had 2 qts of 10 60 sorry.. i bought it ...they will also get more in..bmw dealer is your best bet for local

antbreon
04-19-2009, 08:10 PM
this is 3 red line products ..not sure which one is bettter suited for the gear box ...opinnions anyone this is from their website

80W Motorcycle Gear Oil with ShockProof®

Designed for applications like two-stroke motocross bikes, shifter karts, the CRF 250 450 transmission. Used where an 80W oil is called for, ShockProof's microscopic solid medium provides cushioning between gear teeth, while maintaining lower drag. Reduces the thinning effect from high temperatures.

Provides the balanced slipperiness necessary for consistent shifting and proper wet-clutch

or

V-Twin Transmission Oil with ShockProof®

Similar to Red Line's Heavy ShockProof®, V-Twin Transmission Oil with ShockProof® provides unequalled protection for both stock and aftermarket American V-Twin transmissions.

This product dampens transmission noise (reducing the notorious shifting “clunk” found in these gearboxes), dramatically reduces temperature, provides thicker oil films between gear teeth and completely resists throw-off. It is compatible with petroleums and synthetics.

The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90.

or

V-Twin Primary Case Oil

Red Line’s new V-twin Primary Case Oil is designed specifically for ’84-to-present V-Twin American motorcycle engines, including aftermarket engines of similar designs. Similar to our MTL, this product is for use in the primary chaincase with wet-diaphragm spring clutches.

Designed to operate over a wide temperature range, this Primary Case Oil improves clutch operation while reducing wear and temperature. Where most synthetics are too slippery for clutch operation, this friction-balanced product is balanced to provide less slip, smoother operation, and helps to apply more power in modified engines.

Allen Noland
04-19-2009, 08:33 PM
I'd be more inclined to go with the 80 wt since it lists applications that use both a wet clutch and gears. The website doesn't say if the V-Twin has any other additives or modifiers in it than the 80 wt. In a lot of American V-Twin engines, the clutch is does not run in the gearbox oil, so oils forulated for them may not be suitable for a wet clutch. There are several brands of motorcycle gear oils on the market that are designed for gear boxs and final drives only, and say "not for wet clutch applications" right on the bottle. The primary oil may be ok, but most V-twin primary cases do not have gears, just clutches and chain drives.

djtroy
04-21-2009, 12:01 AM
The engine and the tranny take 2 different kinds of oil, 10-60 synthetic for the engine and 75-90 gear oil for the tranny. I haven't seen any Rotella T synthetic in 10-60. The rotella gear oil has several additives in it, so I don't think that I would take a chance and use it in a wet clutch application.

There are many pro teams that use this oil in thier bikes. It has been tested and proven to be one of the best oils you can buy. I use it in my YZ with a wet clutch and it works great. Yes it is for diesel engines.
I don't want to mess with the sxv so I will stick with what Allen N recommended above.