PDA

View Full Version : Silmoto 15020 map and real hard to start?

PimpinJoe
04-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Ive got the full titanium silmoto exhaust and the dealer remapped it with the 15020 map that is supposed to be. Ive gained extra power and are satisfied. But the problem is starting the bike. Its real hard... sometimes I actually try so many times the battery goes dead on me and I need to use som starting cables from my cars battery. Is it supposed to be like this?

It backfires quite a bit as well, should that concern me? It doesnt bother me, cause I like the sound :D

The huge pain in the ass is the starting problem? Where I live its about 10 - 15 degreees Celsius for now. I have the bike in my garage and actually use a small air owen a hour or so before I go for a ride to make it easier to start. That actually work a bit, but its still a pain in the ass.

Another thing is that the starter seams weak(I know theres been problems with it) and often it just wont work and all I hear is a click noise... Is that normal? When this happens I need to wait a while before its working again. Overheat protection? I thought so, but sometimes it happens when Ive just tried the starter maybe once... So maybe low voltage protection? :)

Alot of small question about the same problems, but I hope some of u guys could guide me in the direction of a solution :) THANXXX:lover:

Allen Noland
04-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Are we talking about a 550 SXV? What year? The Silmoto exhaust and 15020 map will not cause starting problems. How well did the bike start before you replaced the exhaust and remapped?

SXVINWA
04-13-2009, 06:11 PM
If it backfires when you close the throttle I would suggest you check the TPS setting and the synch of the TBs. Buddy of mine picked his 08 up from the dealer after derestriction and it had the same symptoms so he had to take it back again. They got it right the second time. Sure could affect starting as well.

10pointjames
04-13-2009, 06:48 PM
I have the same exhaust and map on my 07. If it's 45 deg. farenheit or colder I don't even bother trying to start it!!!!! At 50 deg. and up it fires on the first try before the six second timer can kick the starter out. Very cold natured but so am I, so I'm not wanting to ride when it's 45 or colder anyway.. :whiner:

PimpinJoe
04-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Its a 550. Yes, it backfires all the time when I close the throttle. Is that a problem?

50 deg F is 10 Celsius so I shouldnt be having these problems then :P

TPS setting, I dont get that. Might have to do with my understanding of english! But could someone explain what it does?

My problem is that the dealer is a 5 hour drive away so I cant just drop in and ask questions...

Alice Racing
04-14-2009, 05:04 AM
What settings did they use for the fuelling ?

PimpinJoe
04-14-2009, 05:40 AM
I have no clue about fuel settings. They said they mounted the exhaust and put in the 15020 map that they meant was the one to use. I was there when the guy did the work, and he used some kind of "tuneboy lookalike" with aprilia printed on it. I want to contact them and get some answers, but first I would need to know the right questions :)

SXVINWA
04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
TPS stands for throttle position sensor. Normally, the throttle position sits at around 4 percent with the throttle closed. If the tech that set up your bike forgot to adjust the idle screw ALL the way down before setting the lower TPS value in the ECU then your ECU thinks that the throttle is at 0 percent at idle and basically shuts off all fuel when you close the throttle. Bad news is you must be connected to the ECU with tuneboy or axone to check or set the values for TPS.

I believe there is a good write up for this at xvasylum.

http://xvasylum.wikidot.com/guide:engine-tuning-101

PimpinJoe
04-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Well, I dont have a tuneboy so then there is not much to do about the TPS settings or sync of the Throttle Bodies?

Im pretty sure my starter will go to shit if this continues, so I should get something done. Actually Im going to the town where the dealer is this weekend, and gonna drop by and ask some questions... The lame part is that Im not gonna have my bike with me! Hope they can give me some good answers anyway :)

SXVINWA
04-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Well, I dont have a tuneboy so then there is not much to do about the TPS settings or sync of the Throttle Bodies?

Im pretty sure my starter will go to shit if this continues, so I should get something done. Actually Im going to the town where the dealer is this weekend, and gonna drop by and ask some questions... The lame part is that Im not gonna have my bike with me! Hope they can give me some good answers anyway :)

The synch of the throttle bodies is NOT done with tuneboy. Do a search and you should come up with a bunch of links to threads describing the synch procedures. The synch isn't worth that much if the TPS settings are hosed, though. If the bike was running fine before putting the exhaust on and updating the ECU map I would still be suspicious of tech having screwed up the TPS setting and there will be no way to check it without plugging into the ECU. Better safe than sorry. If the TPS settings are screwed you are never going to get the correct fuel values from the ECU to match the air flowing through the throttle bodies to keep the correct air/fuel ratio. The dealer is probably going to tell you to bring it back in to get checked (good dealer) or tell you that everything was done correctly and not to worry about it(not so good dealer). Have you thought about just buying a tuneboy cable and license? Worth the money if you are that far from the dealer, IMO.

I am still just guessing that TPS is your problem, but if it doesn't get checked you will never know if it IS correct. I am kind of surprised that there haven't been more posts from the more knowledgeable members.

PimpinJoe
04-15-2009, 03:24 AM
Thanks for your info SXVINWA !
Yes, I want to buy a tuneboy but I need to have the $$$ first ;) Guessing it wont be this season. These days Im actually kind of a student, and doesnt start full work again untill a couple months from now:)

Is the tuneboy hard to use? Or simple as heck? :P I will ask the dealer about what you given me and hope they have some answers, cause it shouldnt be like this. This morning I went out of battery and had to run like a motherf***er to get it to fire, and thats no fun in a full leather suit!! Thinking of putting in some new spark plugs in some hope that it will help it being more easy to start. What do you think of that? Theres already those iridium plugs on it, but they might be a bit "old" for what I know. Just had the bike for 3 weeks or so... BTW, its a 06 with 3200 km on it. Should be mint with so low mileage on it if u ask me... :/ Thanks :)

john boy
04-15-2009, 12:50 PM
sounds like a tps prob.but might be worth checking plug caps as the resistors snap inside if you tug them a bit hard when trying to get them out,also the crimp conectors going to coils can sometimes snap a few wires & have a week contact or may just need a clean,starters are week on 06/07 bikes which an out of sync (tps)will only make the prob worse.is it orange seal motor aswell ! bad startor sprag can be an early sign of leaking cases! water getting into bearing hope this helps

PimpinJoe
04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
I probably have the orange sealant since its an 06 model...? But I wouldnt know yet, cause havent looked for it. Lets fu**ing hope I dont get the leak problem, that would kill me :/ I am up for an oil change next week. I will notice then if there is a leak right? How do the liquid look in the oil? like small bubbles? different colour? Is it easy to see? Tnx john_boy.

spencer
04-15-2009, 06:16 PM
It will be like someone added milk to your oil.....very light brown with white stripes throughout....

PimpinJoe
04-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Went to see my dealer yesterday(without the bike) and the mechanics there agreed that my starter was broken, as well as it may need to sync the TB`s. The TB were synced just maybe 10 miles before it was remapped and put up with silmoto exhaust, but he said it might be need for it after new map and exhaust as well but that hadnt been done. Should the TB`s be synced after new exhaust and map? Is this a "must"? and would you guys believe this along with my half broken starter is the cause of my starting problems? :)

Went to see the salesguy and he agreed as well, and he put down my info and were to contact aprilia and ask for a new starter. Great service until now, and Im hoping to get a new one soon. (not that I can ride my bike that much, since my license is gone:O)

john boy
04-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Went to see my dealer yesterday(without the bike) and the mechanics there agreed that my starter was broken, as well as it may need to sync the TB`s. The TB were synced just maybe 10 miles before it was remapped and put up with silmoto exhaust, but he said it might be need for it after new map and exhaust as well but that hadnt been done. Should the TB`s be synced after new exhaust and map? Is this a "must"? and would you guys believe this along with my half broken starter is the cause of my starting problems? :)

Went to see the salesguy and he agreed as well, and he put down my info and were to contact aprilia and ask for a new starter. Great service until now, and Im hoping to get a new one soon. (not that I can ride my bike that much, since my license is gone:O) yes every time you put a new map in tps should be done allong with tb sync every time! then your bike should run fine if orange seal engine will only be a matter of time before it goes!most seem ok till you have a crash then you normally get the prob as engine is stressed part of frame i think the impact sets off the prob! this is only my idea!

will 33
04-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Went to see the salesguy and he agreed as well, and he put down my info and were to contact aprilia and ask for a new starter. Great service until now, and Im hoping to get a new one soon. (not that I can ride my bike that much, since my license is gone:O)[/QUOTE]

i wouldnt be living in hope of Aprilia giving you a new starter under warranty or good will, been there done that and aint got a new starter to show for it.

PimpinJoe
04-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Went to see the salesguy and he agreed as well, and he put down my info and were to contact aprilia and ask for a new starter. Great service until now, and Im hoping to get a new one soon. (not that I can ride my bike that much, since my license is gone:O)

i wouldnt be living in hope of Aprilia giving you a new starter under warranty or good will, been there done that and aint got a new starter to show for it.[/QUOTE]

Waiting for the phonecall :) Lets be optimistic guys :bump: