PDA

View Full Version : First Race Weekend on the RS!

nubus
04-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Well, that was about the funnest thing I've done lately!
Today was the pre-race practice day for OMRRA @ PIR.
I did four sessions on the baby bike and grins abound!
Peaked @ about 103 mph @ 11,5-ish RPM.
Cool part is it'll take turn one at about 75!
Little brake, drop two gears, throw it in!
Pulls good below 12k, no pipe yet.
Looking forward to tomorrow!
More to come...

frankd_nm
04-10-2009, 11:35 PM
I know that feeling. :cheers:

Last weekend was my second race(s) of the year. These things are a lot of fun on the track. So far not a hint of a problem with the bike either (knock on wood). I think changing to the 15 weight fork oil helped some too.

Good luck with the races tomorrow. Let us know how it turns out.

ThisEndUp
04-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Well, that was about the funnest thing I've done lately!
Today was the pre-race practice day for OMRRA @ PIR.
I did four sessions on the baby bike and grins abound!
Peaked @ about 103 mph @ 11,5-ish RPM.
Little brake, drop two gears, throw it in!
Pulls good below 12k, no pipe yet.
Looking forward to tomorrow!
More to come...

rev past 10,500?
O.K, Nubus.....you can't post that without info on mods done :happy:

Dieterly
04-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Well, wait until you paint the chain red, bet you will be able to do 85, at least!!!!

nubus
04-12-2009, 12:43 AM
No mods!!! Seriously! First off I got two 3rd place finishes. They were light grids, but 3rd just the same. I would have had a second but I just couldn't hang in the straight with the 400 Ninja that had a 85 pound 14 year old riding it. Anyway, PIR is a 9 turn horsepower track with a straight that's nearly 9/10 of a mile. As I got more comfortable on the bike I was able to push turn 9 and power through the apex so I was hitting my shift points sooner. It seems to pull well up to 11,000 but flattens out quite a bit after that. I saw the best results shifting around 10,500 and actually saw 171 kph on the dash once! When I got out of 9 on the pipe I got all my shifting done mid-straight and just let the motor climb. It would just stop pulling and hang around 11,700 @ 166-168 kph. I must have had a tail wind when I hit 171 kph, it would not do it consistently. Funny thing is I had literally 4 km on the ODO Friday morning and just 4 full heat cycles. Now she's sitting @ 196 km and all but the very first session she was ridden like a $2 pony. The stock suspension worked far better than expected, especially for a 200 pound adult! The ONLY thing I did was put race body work on it. I didn't even change the fork oil to 15wt. yet. It was absolutely a blast! Stock Dunlops even held up just fine. I can't imagine what slicks will do for this thing. I let my buddy ride it during the TOR lunch session and he hit 176 kph, he is 50 pounds lighter than me. Bastard even shamed my times on his first time on it. I can't wait to get a pipe and a carb and show that Ninja 400 some Italian exhaust smoke! Hmmm... Polini or not to Polini, that is the question. The class I liked the best was a superbike class, so displacement mods would be permitted. Then I might really be dangerous. I'm just worried about the poor little thing straining that super long straight with a bigger jug on it. Please, if you own one of these, it is a crime not to track ride it!!! Cheers!

frankd_nm
04-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Way to go Nubus! Sounds like you had a blast. All but that part about about getting your butt smoked by a 14 year old (on a JR. Ninja even). Na, just giving ya shit.

Personally I'd say go with the carb, pipe and some race rubber and see what you got before jumping into the Polini, but that's talking out my wallet. Besides, think of the joy when you can say you beat that damn kid on a 125!

nubus
04-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I think tweaking it with "as is" cc's is the way to go... for now.

ThisEndUp
04-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I think tweaking it with "as is" cc's is the way to go... for now.

I'm in that boat also.

Ah, I'm off to the pharmacy for diuretics...laxatives....gotta lose some weight ;)