PDA

View Full Version : SXV 550 story......

mxracer813
04-07-2009, 11:04 PM
First off just wanted to say hello to everyone. I just joined today and wanted to tell my horror story.

I went to the dealer today to pick up a 550. We worked out a good price for an 08 left over, and they began the prep. I finished up my paperwork and took a walk back to the shop to hear it start up for the first time. The problems just started from here. The mechanic tries starting the bike, and winds up killing the battery. At this point the dealer closed, and I had the owner and 3 other mechanics standing around waiting to see this thing fire up. There were no other batteries so the owner volunteered to use his battery from his 550. They swap the batteries and boom it fires up. Needles to say I was so happy. So they roll it outside after some other checks and I drive away. I get to the first light it stalls out. OK i think no big deal maybe im just not used to it. So i hit the starter boom it fires up, back to smiles. Go up the hill make a turn boom dead again. At this point i had gone .1 miles. This time the bike wont restart. Nothing just dead. Luckily while pushing the bike back to the dealer I passed the head tech who called the owner of the dealer to come back and re open.

Thats my story. Hopefully things are better tomorrow. Has this happened to anyone else?

duc slayer
04-07-2009, 11:13 PM
well it can only get better from here :D

:cheers: welcome

charlie1000cc
04-07-2009, 11:25 PM
What dealer if you don't mind me asking?

mxracer813
04-07-2009, 11:51 PM
motorcycle mall

RXV_Poor
04-08-2009, 01:20 AM
That sucks, I hope they figure it out for you. When I rode my RXV 550 out of the parking lot for a test ride I rode a power wheelie through 3rd gear on those sh!t stock tires.

MOTARDED
04-08-2009, 01:34 AM
X2 that. can hopefully only get better.

mxracer813
04-08-2009, 01:39 AM
thanks, they were all real nice. I just want to ride. The head tech did say he would go over the bike and check for the latest mapping. I will be happy as long as its done in less then a day.:blah:

CDNSXV
04-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Hardly a horror story compared to what some have gone through with their bikes.

On the other hand, I was easily lofting the front wheel in long 3rd gear wheelies today. :) Once the bike gets sorted out, she is unlike any other out there.

Markee
04-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Welcome to Aprilia ownership. Get handy with the tools, you're gonna need them. :D

cal550b
04-08-2009, 08:56 AM
i think thats a record ,we have had 10 and 20 ish miles but 1 ,

RZRob
04-08-2009, 09:01 AM
I think this story might read something like the movie Twister, where the pesky tornado [read:problems] keep resurfacing even though you think you've licked the demons. Let's hope for a happy ending.

RZ Rob

mxracer813
04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
i think thats a record ,we have had 10 and 20 ish miles but 1 ,

Ha... no no .1 not even a mile

Kuneff
04-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Thats a bmmer... I hope they get it all worked out.

MY 07 acted like the battery was dead the first day I had it... However it wasn't dead. the starter fried...

cal550b
04-08-2009, 09:31 AM

ya did put petrol in now didnt you:rolleyes:

mxracer813
04-08-2009, 10:11 AM
ya did put petrol in now didnt you:rolleyes:

Although i did not check, the prep guy said there was a little over 1/4 tank. Just an update, they started working on it at 8am, at 1030 they called to tell me they were still working on it..

cal550b
04-08-2009, 10:25 AM
well you have your answer too, do they know what they are doing!!!

mxracer813
04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I am starting to think the answer to that question is NO.

lennycrf
04-08-2009, 02:08 PM
maybe you should just have them load the most recent map and then after that do your homework and fix it yourself sounds like they might be doing a shit job of being mechanics.

perfect
04-08-2009, 03:01 PM
hang in there, they are an awesome bike! I laugh, scream, shout and grin my ass off whilst riding mine.

what a beast!

john boy
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
if they did the pdi in the time it takes to do the paper work they didnt do it right simple as!

NeoGeniX
04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Did they derestrict it at all???

darkside
04-08-2009, 04:33 PM
If they still have the bike make sure they check the stator bolts.

ETN550
04-08-2009, 04:50 PM

There is no way a dealer should hand this bike over without a thourough test ride and check out. Especially if derestriceted and remaped. That right there tells me they do not know what they are doing and have zero experience with this bike. JMO

typeone
04-08-2009, 07:35 PM

There is no way a dealer should hand this bike over without a thourough test ride and check out. Especially if derestriceted and remaped. That right there tells me they do not know what they are doing and have zero experience with this bike. JMO

:plus:

Allen Noland
04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Still wondering....is it fixed.....????

mxracer813
04-08-2009, 10:18 PM
OK everyone I finally got a call from the Head Mechanic today. I made sure i demanded to talk to him after being dicked around by some sales guy all day who kept saying he would call me back and then never did. The head mechanic said he re- went over the bike. He said I had an old map so he put the newest one on. ( It makes sense since it is an 08 ) He also fixed the idle which was causing it to stall out so easily. He made sure to check if the bike was holding a charge and it was. He also told me he took it for a test ride so there were no repeats of last night. He said awesome power it was able to lift the front wheel off the ground ( he is a big guy ) And its still restricted. I am going to play it safe and not have it de restricted until after the first or second service. This will also give me something else to look forward to. I stillllll have not picked up the bike though, hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow; IT SNOWED TODAY, IN APRIL!!!..

Thanks for everyone's comments.

RXV_Poor
04-08-2009, 11:51 PM
ok everyone i finally got a call from the head mechanic today. I made sure i demanded to talk to him after being dicked around by some sales guy all day who kept saying he would call me back and then never did. The head mechanic said he re- went over the bike. He said i had an old map so he put the newest one on. ( it makes sense since it is an 08 ) he also fixed the idle which was causing it to stall out so easily. He made sure to check if the bike was holding a charge and it was. He also told me he took it for a test ride so there were no repeats of last night. He said awesome power it was able to lift the front wheel off the ground ( he is a big guy ) and its still restricted. I am going to play it safe and not have it de restricted until after the first or second service. This will also give me something else to look forward to. I stillllll have not picked up the bike though, hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow; it snowed today, in april!!!..

Ask about the stator bolts

ctxpv505
04-09-2009, 03:11 AM
slight aside...

ive yet to check my stator bolts, will i need a new gasket or is the old one likely come away intack?

thanks

cal550b
04-09-2009, 03:29 AM
slight aside...

ive yet to check my stator bolts, will i need a new gasket or is the old one likely come away intack?

thanks

no it will be fine.

ctxpv505
04-09-2009, 04:00 AM
thanks cal 550 - most appreciated

Falken Hawke
04-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Wow, a bike that died in a shorter distance than mine...

Congratulations...

J/K :)

Micah / AF1 Racing
04-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Make sure to have derestrict the bike before you take it...Map 15030, synch TB's make sure idel speed is 2000-2200 rpm, add a touch of idle mixture to both cylinders (CO trim + values), make sure to zero TPS, set max and min values on it, and make sure correct idle speed occurs at 4-4.5% throttle opening, adjust fast idle to no more than 11% throttle opening....then take it.

A restriced 5.5 will not wheelie in 2nd gear with me on it and I can get my friggin Mana up on the back wheel if I really want to?

MBevans
04-09-2009, 11:06 AM
OK everyone I finally got a call from the Head Mechanic today. I made sure i demanded to talk to him after being dicked around by some sales guy all day who kept saying he would call me back and then never did. The head mechanic said he re- went over the bike. He said I had an old map so he put the newest one on. ( It makes sense since it is an 08 ) He also fixed the idle which was causing it to stall out so easily. He made sure to check if the bike was holding a charge and it was. He also told me he took it for a test ride so there were no repeats of last night. He said awesome power it was able to lift the front wheel off the ground ( he is a big guy ) And its still restricted. I am going to play it safe and not have it de restricted until after the first or second service. This will also give me something else to look forward to. I stillllll have not picked up the bike though, hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow; IT SNOWED TODAY, IN APRIL!!!..

Hate to say it, I can make a mini-bike do a wheelie, and I'm 200lbs. Get that thing de-restricted ASAP, do not wait!!!

If you wait that long you are a fool, or cannot read what is said here on this forum. Any dealer that suggests you wait that long knows nothing if these machines.

I would take it anywhere that actually knows these bikes as you must be dealing with some BoZo vespa mechanics presently.

What a shame, as you will not help the longivity of your investment by letting it run that restricted way.

Someone is pulling your chain, and not in a good way.........

Condolences :bangwall:
Mark

mxracer813
04-10-2009, 06:06 PM
hey everyone. Just wanted to let everyone know i picked up the bike and put 125 miles on it today. It is still restricted, and it sucks haha. I know i should have had them de restrict it right away but i have read too many problem story's. I am going to wait till the first service. I figure if anything is going to happen it will be by then. It is very disappointing that a DRZ400 can walk away from me tho easily. I had to tighten the chain half way through the ride. It was very sloppy. Also the front brake light switch is not working. And the gas cap is missing an O ring. I made some Mods to the blinkers I will post pictures later today.

duc slayer
04-10-2009, 06:11 PM
DUDE

GET IT DERESTRICTED, your just wasting time until then :cheers:

SXVINWA
04-10-2009, 06:23 PM
DUDE

GET IT DERESTRICTED, your just wasting time until then :cheers:

:plus:Yes, get that thing de-restricted so that you can quickly move on to all of the other fun problems like flickering neutral light and oil pressure light. Possibly even an airbox full of oil!!

antbreon
04-10-2009, 07:48 PM
page 9 common problems thread will tell you what you need to know about derestriction ....and xv asylum will tell you how to get the throddle bodies synched...most electrical problem lead back to a bad ground somehwere ..

motoboyjack
04-11-2009, 01:42 AM
hahah I thought it was our dealer too

What dealer if you don't mind me asking?

motoboyjack
04-11-2009, 01:45 AM
same problem with me... i bought my bike it had 0! miles 0! de-restricted everything... took it home... thing was bogging out like a mofo... so many dum dealers!!!! that dont know how to deal with these bikes and its starting to piss me the fuck off