PDA

View Full Version : Lemon sxv 550. I hate aprilia!!!

charlie1000cc
04-06-2009, 10:35 PM
I’m tired of the entire BS from this company and my dealership. Here is my story... I decided to purchase a 2008 SXV550 on Aug 16th 2008. I rode the bike for a few hundred miles and took it in for service. A week later the thing starts to pump oil into the box and I took it back to the dealer. They tell me it's the pump seal and replace it. I take the bike home and decide to ride it at a track day event and on the second lap it starts to pump oil all over my boots and into the box so I call the dealership up and bring it back to be fixed. They change a couple of seals and once again I take it home and the same problem at the next track day event. Once again I bring it back and it was fixed again but they could not give me an answer on what it was. I take the bike home and later that day once again it starts to leak oil into the box. I did the oil change myself a couple of times and made sure of the correct measurements so that wasn’t the issue. It pumped 850cc into the box within 30 minutes of riding. All of this happened within a month of purchasing the bike and it only had about 600 miles total. On Oct 2 2008 I drop off the bike to get fixed and till this day I still haven’t got it back... They have rebuilt the entire top end and changed all these seals in the past six months and keep telling me that it's still pumping oil into the box and are trying hundreds of things that the tech department at Aprilia tells them to do. I contacted Aprilia direct and they keep blowing me off and telling me that they are working on fixing it still and are going to keep trying until they figure it out. My dealership is about 2 hours away so I don’t have time to go there and check on the bike. I have spent all this money on this bike and purchased all these aftermarket parts for this bike and what a waste! I have to hire a lawyer now to figure out what they can resolve to get my money back or a new bike. The latest news I got today is that they have to re-time the bike to see if that’s the reason its pumping oil. I don’t know what to do as far as resolving this issue or how to claim a lemon law against the dealership or company. Has anyone ever had a problem like this with a LEMON and know the actions I have to take to resolve this? I wrote a letter to Piaggo and Aprilia and customer service has been telling me they are trying to resolve the problem. I purchased the bike in Connecticut and don’t really know the Lemon law issues there but I live in NY. It's been 6 months and it has not been fixed. I have taken it to the dealer over 4 times for this issue and nothing is resolved within a month of purchasing it. I did a couple of track days with it and the bike always performed well and never broke down but would pump out all the oil into the box.. Someone please give me some advice on what to do... Thanks...

crank1000
04-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Run until it's empty, and blow the motor. Then make them give you a new motor. Or ask them to pay to send the bike to Amauri and have them pay him to fix it.

charlie1000cc
04-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Good idea! There is no way that they would pay for shipping and having Amauri fix it.

waxxer
04-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Iím tired of the entire BS from this company and my dealership. Here is my story... I decided to purchase a 2008 SXV550 on Aug 16th 2008. I rode the bike for a few hundred miles and took it in for service. A week later the thing starts to pump oil into the box and I took it back to the dealer. They tell me it's the pump seal and replace it. I take the bike home and decide to ride it at a track day event and on the second lap it starts to pump oil all over my boots and into the box so I call the dealership up and bring it back to be fixed. They change a couple of seals and once again I take it home and the same problem at the next track day event. Once again I bring it back and it was fixed again but they could not give me an answer on what it was. I take the bike home and later that day once again it starts to leak oil into the box. I did the oil change myself a couple of times and made sure of the correct measurements so that wasnít the issue. It pumped 850cc into the box within 30 minutes of riding. All of this happened within a month of purchasing the bike and it only had about 600 miles total. On Oct 2 2008 I drop off the bike to get fixed and till this day I still havenít got it back... They have rebuilt the entire top end and changed all these seals in the past six months and keep telling me that it's still pumping oil into the box and are trying hundreds of things that the tech department at Aprilia tells them to do. I contacted Aprilia direct and they keep blowing me off and telling me that they are working on fixing it still and are going to keep trying until they figure it out. My dealership is about 2 hours away so I donít have time to go there and check on the bike. I have spent all this money on this bike and purchased all these aftermarket parts for this bike and what a waste! I have to hire a lawyer now to figure out what they can resolve to get my money back or a new bike. The latest news I got today is that they have to re-time the bike to see if thatís the reason its pumping oil. I donít know what to do as far as resolving this issue or how to claim a lemon law against the dealership or company. Has anyone ever had a problem like this with a LEMON and know the actions I have to take to resolve this? I wrote a letter to Piaggo and Aprilia and customer service has been telling me they are trying to resolve the problem. I purchased the bike in Connecticut and donít really know the Lemon law issues there but I live in NY. It's been 6 months and it has not been fixed. I have taken it to the dealer over 4 times for this issue and nothing is resolved within a month of purchasing it. I did a couple of track days with it and the bike always performed well and never broke down but would pump out all the oil into the box.. Someone please give me some advice on what to do... Thanks...

I hate to say this but: Aprilias history is soooo bad they cut their own throat. They are making a terrible impression in the USA--an impression that will limit their sales for the next decade.

Aprilia sucks. Instead of fixing your issue and making a happy and satisfied customer, they will make the brand suffer.

They simply do not get the idea. I had to wait months for a second engine. If this one pops, I gaurantee a class action suit. Shit, 4 out of 10 have been fucked on this bike alone.

It really is that simple. Just fix the bike or replace it. The more haggling and run-arounds simply drive the costs up exponentially.

How many potential owners will now back away from your comments???

Really sad.....

RZRob
04-07-2009, 12:26 AM
I feel your pain. These bikes have issues no doubt, but once sorted, I believe they're a hoot nothing else can match.

RZ Rob

Highway9Rider
04-07-2009, 12:41 AM
ive never heard of this problem. and it happens over and over and over? something wrong with this whole story. sounds like an insane episode of twilight zone.

i redline my 08 sxv550 every minute every mile of the 2300 miles ive put on it. zero problems.

bought the extended four year warranty just in case though.

waxxer
04-07-2009, 01:21 AM
I feel your pain. These bikes have issues no doubt, but once sorted, I believe they're a hoot nothing else can match.

RZ Rob

There is absolutely no match. The only catch is Aprilia customer service. If they would wake the fuck up and deliver on parts and warranty they would probably offset their costs in defects.

There is no reason NOT to own this bike--except for Aprilias shitty service.

:cheers::cheers:

fredgreen
04-07-2009, 03:08 AM
charlie1000cc, your your got that many miles on yours

Don't worry your not the only one. My problems have gone on for 22mth and 15+ times back to the dealers . My bike sits in the shed because every time i ride it without fail something gose wrong and i'm sick of sending it back. Even got a rebuild, got back in Jan and got 30klms out of it.

JCSUPERMOTO
04-07-2009, 03:24 AM
Go to dealers,and dont leave without your money!!!
Even if you have to do a micheal douglas"falling down" on em.

When a prilla is working,they are truly awesome,but if ya buy a money pit one,get rid of the facker

Kuneff
04-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Get the bike back from the dealership... Take a lil road trip. Take your bike the Allen at Xtreme Motorsports. They are an Aprilia dealer and know these bikes well. I would bet he could get it all sorted out for you.

Pumping out that much oil... I am wondering if maybe an oil line/passage is clogged somewhere and causing it to back up into the airbox. I am by no means a mechanic, just had that thought out of nowhere..

duc slayer
04-07-2009, 08:04 AM
sad to hear really, because it's well known, that some of these motors have "issues" (to be polite) so it's really a simple fix. Give the man a new motor and it's over and done with, and you've got a super happy owner / brand spokesman, but no instead they screw the pooch and give themselves a shitty name

ETN550
04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
If you are not technically equipped to wrangle with the dealer (and you should not have to be) then pick an experienced attorney and claim all costs and they will resolve it.

Aprilia doesn't get it.

The sad truth is that the fix is probably straight forward, but Aprilia warranted it and the dealer sold it so they are obligated to perform and their ignorance is not a legal excuse for non-compliance.

If you really like the bike your only options are to fix it yourself or trust it to someone else, dealer or otherwise. The dealer you are working with probably could not even do a motor swap correctly.

Sorry to hear about your situation and good luck.

SacSupermoto
04-07-2009, 12:21 PM
For the price that we pay for these bikes I am totally surprised of the stories I have read on this forum. I am wondering if I should have bought the KTM or Husky instead of my 550!

At least they stand behind their products.

These bikes are the Ferrari's of motorcycles but it appears that the consumer is treated like a Kia owner!!! I am also surprised another dealer hasn't read your post and stepped up to take control of your situation.

Hey Mr. Aprilia, arrogance and poor customer service like that is what put General Motors in the position that they are in today.... Get a hint!

charlie1000cc
04-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone, I tried calling them again today and no response. At this point I just want my money back and will part with all the aftermarket stuff. Too much headache and not enough support or knowledge from the dealers in my area. I just hooked up my KTM 690Smc and will make that my supermoto.

T-rock
04-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Run until it's empty, and blow the motor. Then make them give you a new motor.

It's the best way to get a new motor. If you dont blow the motor they will just keep trying to fix it and you will always be having problems.

duc slayer
04-07-2009, 01:04 PM
pm me a reminder later, but I think I know someone that could help with a buy back

Allen Noland
04-07-2009, 01:56 PM
For the price that we pay for these bikes I am totally surprised of the stories I have read on this forum. I am wondering if I should have bought the KTM or Husky instead of my 550!

At least they stand behind their products.

These bikes are the Ferrari's of motorcycles but it appears that the consumer is treated like a Kia owner!!! I am also surprised another dealer hasn't read your post and stepped up to take control of your situation.

Hey Mr. Aprilia, arrogance and poor customer service like that is what put General Motors in the position that they are in today.... Get a hint!

I have delt with several different Manufacturers over the years, and the Tech Staff and Customer Service people at Aprilia USA are by far the best that I have ever worked with. I have never had any issues or problems with Aprilia's tech support and TJ in Customer Care has gone out of her way time after time to help someone. Poor service and support problem are usually at the dealer level.

It is impossible for a dealer to take control of a situation at another dealership, that is the responsibiity of the customer. If you get bad service or poor customer support at one dealer, find another one. Preferably one who gives a shit and will go the extra mile to satisfy your needs. Do a little homework and ask some questions before entrusting your bike to any dealer.

SacSupermoto
04-07-2009, 02:05 PM
If you get bad service or poor customer support at one dealer, find another one. Preferably one who gives a shit and will go the extra mile to satisfy your needs. Do a little homework and ask some questions before entrusting your bike to any dealer.

That is exactly what I meant to say. Sorry, poor wording on my part.

charlie1000cc
04-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Does anyone know of a dealer near NYC that has that type of support that i need? I have contacted TJ plenty of times and all i get is i will find out the situation and call you back but nothing. Six months is a joke to figure out a problem with a bike.. In all actuallity the bike only has six months warranty and its been in the dealership for that long and if they do fix it and a month later it breaks down they will probably say, Sir your warranty is expired! I just want my money back!!!! I called my dealer before and they won't even get on the phone with me to explain the situation..

SPEEDMONKEY1
04-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know of a dealer near NYC that has that type of support that i need? I have contacted TJ plenty of times and all i get is i will find out the situation and call you back but nothing. Six months is a joke to figure out a problem with a bike.. In all actuallity the bike only has six months warranty and its been in the dealership for that long and if they do fix it and a month later it breaks down they will probably say, Sir your warranty is expired! I just want my money back!!!! I called my dealer before and they won't even get on the phone with me to explain the situation..Go to Allen at Extrememotorsports in Maryland.I bought a bike from him last year and had it shipped to Colorado.He took very good care of me.

charlie1000cc
04-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I spoke with Allen today from Extrememotorsports and what a great person he is! He contacted me on here and told me to give him a call. Gave him the info and he is going to talk to one of the techs at Aprilia to see what's going on. I wish he was close to me but he is about 7 hours away. Why can't all dealers be like him and care about the product they sell and have the knowledge? Thanks Allen!!!

At least i have good memories and a cool picture on the bike. Lol
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/1000cc/KL9Z4122.jpg

fredgreen
04-08-2009, 07:25 AM
sad to hear really, because it's well known, that some of these motors have "issues" (to be polite) so it's really a simple fix. Give the man a new motor and it's over and done with, and you've got a super happy owner / brand spokesman, but no instead they screw the pooch and give themselves a shitty name

They haven't sold many RXV's in Australia, and i think i have alot to do with it. I have shit canned the ass out of the Dealer and bike on dirtbike forums for the last 2years, then i send the links to Aprilia to read and still no one cares. One post has over 10,000 hits.

THUGDUC
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Glad I stayed away from the 550s, which seem to be the most problematic of the SXV line. My 07, orange sealed 450 has over 5000 hard ridden miles and no issues to date.

kneedragginchic
04-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Glad to hear things look like they might work out. Nothing worse than getting a bike and not being able to ride it.

charlie1000cc
04-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Glad to hear things look like they might work out. Nothing worse than getting a bike and not being able to ride it.

How do we know things are going to work out?

desmo-kid
04-10-2009, 06:50 AM
I don't own one, but I regularly read this forum. I wanted one in the worst way but the prospect of subjecting myself to a scenario like Charlie's convinced me that I just did not want to take that chance. I bought a Husky 510 SMR and absolutely love it. Still not the engine of the Aprilia, but a gas and very responsive.

I would come up with the money anytime that I have a feeling that Aprilia has solved the issue. I am sure that I am far from the only one who held off a purchase for only this one reason. I hope Aprilia reads these threads and realizes that fixing these problems is the only way to succeed in the long run.

ckruzel
04-10-2009, 10:03 AM
charlie, i think the problems you are having with the bike are being compounded by a dealer that seems like they dont know what they are doing, bad enough you have a problem, but its worse that a dealer cant seem to fix it

motoboyjack
04-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Yo you fuck! its not just Aprilia, its the dumbass dealer... buch of assholes they fucked me on my bike... Charlie! that dealers all over the fuckin place, I had my bought my bike! BRAND NEW 1.5 Months AGO! 0 miles... 0! they didnt even test drive it.. I have bin trying to get in contact with Mike for the past 3 weeks they keep giving me BULLSHIT! every time I tell the secretary give me call back... NEVER GET A CALL BACK! Scammers, I took my bike home the day I got it, I drove it down the block.. and it was bogging like a mofo, mike told me it could be the weather... this whole thing took months to resolve cuz that dumb fuckin incompetent dealer... they didn't want to pay the driver 150$ to come pick up my bike, meanwhile it was there're fault for not prepping and tuning the bike right... the service manger was fired, or he left... so they didn't have a service guy for maybe 2 weeks... I had my other buddy buying and SXV550 from them i told them make me pay 150 and i promise he's not buying shit. so now yesterday out (this to 1.5 months) to resolve they never call me back, they take a Day for each answer/exusce they give me... this guys not here today, we didnt get the answer get, truck driver didn't give us a quote, have to speak to mike... your bikes bin sitting theyre rotting to SHIT! dosnt take 6! months to fix a fuckin bike give cvme a BRAKE! theyre lazy fucks.. the new tech manager hasnt even ever worked on Aprilia's.. I can never get in touch with anyone but the secretary... the lady told me she couldnt do anything about it... I ripped them a new asshole... told them how much bad workmanship they have down there, how theyre all mis-combobulated, I asked to speak to the owners (cuz they re the one who make the discussions) kiss my ass.. I told her kiss my business with you guys goodbye... I had many friends of mine who were ready to buy bikes from them... she tried telling me that she can work out somthing that if they buy a bike theyll refund me... STFU!...im so angry from dealing with this i hate getting jerked around...ill dispute every charge they ever got from me!
Iím tired of the entire BS from this company and my dealership. Here is my story... I decided to purchase a 2008 SXV550 on Aug 16th 2008. I rode the bike for a few hundred miles and took it in for service. A week later the thing starts to pump oil into the box and I took it back to the dealer. They tell me it's the pump seal and replace it. I take the bike home and decide to ride it at a track day event and on the second lap it starts to pump oil all over my boots and into the box so I call the dealership up and bring it back to be fixed. They change a couple of seals and once again I take it home and the same problem at the next track day event. Once again I bring it back and it was fixed again but they could not give me an answer on what it was. I take the bike home and later that day once again it starts to leak oil into the box. I did the oil change myself a couple of times and made sure of the correct measurements so that wasnít the issue. It pumped 850cc into the box within 30 minutes of riding. All of this happened within a month of purchasing the bike and it only had about 600 miles total. On Oct 2 2008 I drop off the bike to get fixed and till this day I still havenít got it back... They have rebuilt the entire top end and changed all these seals in the past six months and keep telling me that it's still pumping oil into the box and are trying hundreds of things that the tech department at Aprilia tells them to do. I contacted Aprilia direct and they keep blowing me off and telling me that they are working on fixing it still and are going to keep trying until they figure it out. My dealership is about 2 hours away so I donít have time to go there and check on the bike. I have spent all this money on this bike and purchased all these aftermarket parts for this bike and what a waste! I have to hire a lawyer now to figure out what they can resolve to get my money back or a new bike. The latest news I got today is that they have to re-time the bike to see if thatís the reason its pumping oil. I donít know what to do as far as resolving this issue or how to claim a lemon law against the dealership or company. Has anyone ever had a problem like this with a LEMON and know the actions I have to take to resolve this? I wrote a letter to Piaggo and Aprilia and customer service has been telling me they are trying to resolve the problem. I purchased the bike in Connecticut and donít really know the Lemon law issues there but I live in NY. It's been 6 months and it has not been fixed. I have taken it to the dealer over 4 times for this issue and nothing is resolved within a month of purchasing it. I did a couple of track days with it and the bike always performed well and never broke down but would pump out all the oil into the box.. Someone please give me some advice on what to do... Thanks...

Nick-PDX
04-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Charlie, have they fixed your bike or is someone else going to work on it? If it's been taken care of, let me know how your bike is running etc.

I'm currently looking to purchase an SXV 550 but may be leaning towards an SXV 450 because I haven't heard anything going wrong with the 450’s. While the 550 makes 75 hp and the 450 makes 60hp. I think 60 hp twin engine would be a lot more torque then a single 450 or 510 with around 50 hp.

I will make a decision by the end of this month.

If anyone has a SXV 450, please let me know how it compares if you have raced someone on a SM 450 or SM 510.

Also, does anyone have any experience in purchasing their SXV 550 or SXV 450 from Xtreme Power Sports USA in Maryland. It will be shipped to another state and I don't want the kind of problems that I'm reading in this tread.

motoboyjack
04-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Charlie, listen to me please.. they-are-full-!-off-shit-!... theyre mechanics need to go back to school... Tell them you want a new Motor, or sew them!.... SEW EM! 6 months! and btw have Aprilia extend your warranty if you find yourself keeping the bike... cuz this is a joke. Foolish what theyre doing to you that dealer... I promise you, your bikes sitting theyre like shit... shouldve taken 2 weeks max.

chrman
04-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Randy at Exit 9 Motorsports near Ludlow Vermont will stand on his head to make things right with SXV owners. I bought a leftover '07 last fall and he set it up with a bunch of service bulletin updates and will do just about anything to satisfy the customer. When I mentioned a starting issue with my bike, he immediately ordered up a new sprag clutch without even looking at the bike. He seems to be very well versed on SXV issues and related solutions.

It's a bit of a haul from NYC, but probably well worth it, in my opinion. I know a guy who had motor problems with his '07 4.5 and Randy and Co had Aprilia give him an '08 motor under warranty.

Gotta be friggin' annoying, your situation, but if you can just get some dealer to take care of you, it will be well worth it since the bike really is a hoot.

charlie1000cc
04-10-2009, 10:49 PM
FINALLY APRILIA USA CONTACTS ME AND HERE GOES THE STORY... I get a call from a rep at Aprilia that has some power and decides to give me 2 choices, either choice 1 they will bring it to a dealer in PA called Martin Motorsports to have a competent person that knows these bikes in and out to get it fixed or choice 2 another dealer near Philly which also has the experience to fix it. MOTOFIT is incompetent to fix my bike and have ripped the motor apart for no reason. It's a simple fix I was told by the rep and it should be fixed by this other dealer... The dealership where I purchased my bike is FULL OF SHIT AND LIES ALL DAY LONG TO THIER CUSTOMERS! THEY DO NOT EVEN HAVE THE EXPIERIENCE OR KNOWLEDGE TO PROPERLY DE-RISTRICT A BIKE SO STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!! WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS NOW, THE APRILIA REP TELLS ME THAT SINCE THE BIKE IS DE-RESTRICTED AND I HAVE TAKEN THE BIKE TO A ROAD RACE TRACK I HAVE NO WARRENTY ON THE BIKE AND I'M PRETTY MUCH ON MY OWN AFTER THEY RETURN MY BIKE WHEN IT'S FIXED.. SO FOR ANYONE THAT HAS A DERESTRICTED BIKE THE LAW IS FORGET ABOUT EVER GETTING ANYTHING DONE FOR FREE FROM APRILIA!! What would you guys do in my situation and the way it looks is i will be scared to ride the bike when i get it back so it will be up for sale.. I did all my calculations and have pretty much taken a $8000 loss if i sell the bike for around $6000 stock and sell all the aftermarket parts for half price. What a waste of money. This includes the cost of the bike, all the service i paid for and parts, transporting the bike to that dealer 5 times. Insurance, registration, taxes and heartache! My time... I feel scammed and in a corner now with this issue and this fuking dealer..

chrman
04-10-2009, 10:54 PM
...THE APRILIA REP TELLS ME THAT SINCE THE BIKE IS DE-RESTRICTED AND I HAVE TAKEN THE BIKE TO A ROAD RACE TRACK I HAVE NO WARRENTY ON THE BIKE AND I'M PRETTY MUCH ON MY OWN AFTER THEY RETURN MY BIKE WHEN IT'S FIXED.. SO FOR ANYONE THAT HAS A DERESTRICTED BIKE THE LAW IS FORGET ABOUT EVER GETTING ANYTHING DONE FOR FREE FROM APRILIA!!...

Glad to hear that at least you spoke to someone that could help. As for the warranty issue, they can not prove you tracked your bike - not even sure that invalidates the warranty anyway. A good dealer will get the warranty work for you whether the bike is derestricted, tracked, whatever.

charlie1000cc
04-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Glad to hear that at least you spoke to someone that could help. As for the warranty issue, they can not prove you tracked your bike - not even sure that invalidates the warranty anyway. A good dealer will get the warranty work for you whether the bike is derestricted, tracked, whatever.

That's what i thought but lets hope it works out that way. They know that i instruct with a couple of trackday schools and guess they didn't like the way i was ridding the bike in that picture. lol

chrman
04-10-2009, 11:09 PM
That's what i thought but lets hope it works out that way. They know that i instruct with a couple of trackday schools and guess they didn't like the way i was ridding the bike in that picture. lol

They make a great track weapon and then they penalize you for riding it at a track - dumb.

I can't imagine the frustration, especially since it could have all been averted if you happened upon a normal friggin' dealer. Really gives Aprilia a bad name.

duc slayer
04-10-2009, 11:16 PM
1st off from here on out don't call it a track day, it was a safety course and you were ther to improve your skills, and the de-restriction is bullshit, I believe others here have heard the same bs, I just don't remember who or how it worked out.

duc slayer
04-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I have also heard great things about exit 9 in VT, I haven't been there yet, but I will eventually

chrman
04-10-2009, 11:24 PM
1st off from here on out don't call it a track day, it was a safety course and you were ther to improve your skills, and the de-restriction is bullshit, I believe others here have heard the same bs, I just don't remember who or how it worked out.

Yes...exactly - a Rider Safety Course - A non-competitive event.

And yes, the peeps at Exit 9 MS are cool - My Duc is there on consigment right now. Charles, perhaps you are interested in a mint ST4s to replace your wayward 5.5? Hhmmmm???

charlie1000cc
04-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Yes...exactly - a Rider Safety Course - A non-competitive event.

And yes, the peeps at Exit 9 MS are cool - My Duc is there on consigment right now. Charles, perhaps you are interested in a mint ST4s to replace your wayward 5.5? Hhmmmm???

Thanks, great way to describe it! What is a ST4?

This is going to be my new RIDER SAFETY COURSE WEAPON. 08 KTM SMC 690 HOOKED UP BY ME!
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/1000cc/ktm690smcwhite002.jpg

chrman
04-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks, great way to describe it! What is a ST4?

An excellent Ducati 996cc sport touring bike. More sport than touring.

RXV_Poor
04-11-2009, 12:11 AM
What would you guys do in my situation and the way it looks is i will be scared to ride the bike when i get it back so it will be up for sale

Nice looking 690 so I guess you made your decision. Good luck with it.

JCSUPERMOTO
04-11-2009, 01:46 AM
Gutted for ya mate
These bikes are a good bike when working right,but there has never been a production bike that has lost its owners so much money as a prilla sxv!!

motoboyjack
04-11-2009, 01:56 AM
My heart just dropped when I read this charlie... tmmr morning all hells ganna brake loose when I call those scumm bags... im ganna tell that leing BITCH Linda if I dont get a call by the service manager by the end of the day im ganna fuckin storm in there asap... Im going to tell her have my bike ready by next sunday.. or have my money ready, or im sewing you.

FINALLY APRILIA USA CONTACTS ME AND HERE GOES THE STORY... I get a call from a rep at Aprilia that has some power and decides to give me 2 choices, either choice 1 they will bring it to a dealer in PA called Martin Motorsports to have a competent person that knows these bikes in and out to get it fixed or choice 2 another dealer near Philly which also has the experience to fix it. MOTOFIT is incompetent to fix my bike and have ripped the motor apart for no reason. It's a simple fix I was told by the rep and it should be fixed by this other dealer... The dealership where I purchased my bike is FULL OF SHIT AND LIES ALL DAY LONG TO THIER CUSTOMERS! THEY DO NOT EVEN HAVE THE EXPIERIENCE OR KNOWLEDGE TO PROPERLY DE-RISTRICT A BIKE SO STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!! WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS NOW, THE APRILIA REP TELLS ME THAT SINCE THE BIKE IS DE-RESTRICTED AND I HAVE TAKEN THE BIKE TO A ROAD RACE TRACK I HAVE NO WARRENTY ON THE BIKE AND I'M PRETTY MUCH ON MY OWN AFTER THEY RETURN MY BIKE WHEN IT'S FIXED.. SO FOR ANYONE THAT HAS A DERESTRICTED BIKE THE LAW IS FORGET ABOUT EVER GETTING ANYTHING DONE FOR FREE FROM APRILIA!! What would you guys do in my situation and the way it looks is i will be scared to ride the bike when i get it back so it will be up for sale.. I did all my calculations and have pretty much taken a $8000 loss if i sell the bike for around $6000 stock and sell all the aftermarket parts for half price. What a waste of money. This includes the cost of the bike, all the service i paid for and parts, transporting the bike to that dealer 5 times. Insurance, registration, taxes and heartache! My time... I feel scammed and in a corner now with this issue and this fuking dealer..

motoboyjack
04-11-2009, 02:03 AM
MOTOFIT SUCKS BUNCH OF LIERSSS!!!!!!!! EVERYDAY I GET A NEW FUCKIN LIE!!! I CANT TAKKEEE ITTT!! my friend was buying a bike from them it took them 2 months!!! to prep and derestrict the bike i get a call... the bikes pumping oil out of it... it needs a new head... but instead they call back and tell us... they got a new shipment in and theyre ganna give us new bike "heres the new vin number" fuckers sold the other bike.... Charlie if they screw me... I promise, ill demolish theyre name, they'll be in a bad ass law suit... one thing i dont get is FUCKED

fastbikesrule
04-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Also, does anyone have any experience in purchasing their SXV 550 or SXV 450 from Xtreme Power Sports USA in Maryland.

I bought my '07 SXV-550 used in December '07. Gas light came on as I left the parking lot. Stop for gas. Bike won't start. Dead starter. I get the bike started by rolling it backwards in gear until I find a good spot on the starter. Go back to dealer and flip out. Get new starter. Bike doesn't start if it's colder than 50 degrees. Dealer has no clue. A few hundred miles later it eats the stator. Call dealer, "Sure, bring it in." I truck the bike to the dealer. They call me a couple hours later. "We can't work on your bike. We don't have the tools for it." I flip out again. I get prepared to eat the cost of fixing the bike. I was going to do it myself and called Xtreme for parts. Xtreme ended up fixing it and solving all the starting problems under warranty. It's finally the way it should have been when I bought it.

FWIW - The guys at Martin Eurosports are a bunch of douches, but they are capable of fixing your bike. If Xtreme isn't a choice, I'd go there.

ckruzel
04-11-2009, 09:01 AM
charlie, if aprilia is willing to fix it under warranty at another dealer, take it there, then enjoy the bike.

charlie1000cc
04-11-2009, 11:47 AM
My heart just dropped when I read this charlie... tmmr morning all hells ganna brake loose when I call those scumm bags... im ganna tell that leing BITCH Linda if I dont get a call by the service manager by the end of the day im ganna fuckin storm in there asap... Im going to tell her have my bike ready by next sunday.. or have my money ready, or im sewing you.

Dude, i know how you feel! Aprilia is picking up my bike from there and taking it to that other dealer in PA. If you want i can talk to the guy at Aprilia and see if he can get your bike out of there and take it to PA and have the right people fix it. I want to put a law suit against that dealer and write a letter to the better business bureau and complain. Aprilia says they cant do anything towards them because they are a franchise and they have all thier training and should know what to do and do the right thing BUT.. I have to go back to MOTOFIT because i purchased a Aprilia helmet and i never picked it up. Also paid for some other parts for the deristriction process to plug the exhaust and didn't get them.. I will go with you next week if you want and raise HELLLLLLLL!!! :bangwall:

Kuneff
04-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Well, My bike was derestriced... and when the engine went... I got a new one for the cost of fluids and filter if I remember right. I think it was $62 total.

spencer
04-11-2009, 02:58 PM
mine was derestricted from initial purchase, resealed under warranty at 11 mos and some odd days later....

duc slayer
04-11-2009, 05:52 PM
a good dealer will NOT sale anyone this bike in restricted form. Mine wouldn't and I've heard the same of several others

motoboyjack
04-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Charlie PM sent... my names Jack... i called them today... and bugged... I call up "let me speak to the service manager" you no what i get "sorry let mo run back theyre give you a call in 10 minutes" 30 mins later "we will give you a call somtime next week".... i told them "let me speak to him now! everytiime i call you guy jerk me the fuck around..." she started bugging "theyre really busy he's with a customer (always with a CUSTOMER)" i said "i would believe that sack of shit but every time you tell me that I never get a call back..." so she tells me hes with a customer so i screamed "SO WHY DOSNT HE CALL ME BACK WHEN HES DONE WITH THE CUSTOMER!!!" guess what she connected me right away... he told me theyre ganna "look" at my bike Tuesday... im in FL im coming back friday... so if my bikes done by then have my money ready or im sewing you guys.... 2 faced mofo's... Charlie i'll go with you theyre... when my bikes ready.... its a simple fuckin issue... the bike was bogging out when I got it... so I got mad sent it back (took 1 month) now its theyre and Im scared therye ganna make the problem worse... but i'm calling them first thing Tus... in ganna get working on them... well go in me and you, and ill flip!! I hate being played around and lied every tiem i call!! I get a lie!! its ridiculous... Ill demolish that dealers name!

Dude, i know how you feel! Aprilia is picking up my bike from there and taking it to that other dealer in PA. If you want i can talk to the guy at Aprilia and see if he can get your bike out of there and take it to PA and have the right people fix it. I want to put a law suit against that dealer and write a letter to the better business bureau and complain. Aprilia says they cant do anything towards them because they are a franchise and they have all thier training and should know what to do and do the right thing BUT.. I have to go back to MOTOFIT because i purchased a Aprilia helmet and i never picked it up. Also paid for some other parts for the deristriction process to plug the exhaust and didn't get them.. I will go with you next week if you want and raise HELLLLLLLL!!! :bangwall:

CheekySXV4.5
04-11-2009, 08:06 PM
At this point I would INSIST on Extreme (or Exit 9 in VT, that guy has a great little Ape shop) doing the work, those guys care about Aprilia owners.

Maybe the guys at Martin know what they are doing, and are certified Aprilia techs, but I concur on the attitude issue there. On the phone or in person I never really liked talking to any of them.

-Cheek

Allen Noland
04-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Glad I stayed away from the 550s, which seem to be the most problematic of the SXV line. My 07, orange sealed 450 has over 5000 hard ridden miles and no issues to date.

I think that the number of problems seen in the SXV 550 are directly related to the quantity of bikes. The SXV 550 just seems to have more problems because there are more of them out there. I have no idea how many of each model was sold worldwide, this is just my personal observation from sales in our area. 17 of the last 20 XVs we sold were '08 SXV 550s. The other 3 were '08 SXV 450, '08 RXV 550 and an '08 RXV 450. In the last year the only problem I have seen in any '08 bike that we have sold was a cracked 2nd gear in a RXV 450 transmission

I would come up with the money anytime that I have a feeling that Aprilia has solved the issue. I am sure that I am far from the only one who held off a purchase for only this one reason.
I don't think that there is any motorcyle manufacturer out there that will claim that there will never be an issue with any of their products. Most "on-going issues" and "continuous problems" are usually caused by an inability to properly diagnose and repair the original problem. Proper set-up and service are the two most important things with any bike from any manufacturer.

These bikes are a good bike when working right,but there has never been a production bike that has lost its owners so much money as a prilla sxv!!

There is no reason that these bikes should not work right. Even the '07 bikes with the "bad" orange case sealant have proven to be very reliable when properly updated, set-up and serviced. Not all of the orange sealant bikes had problems, and many are still trouble-free after thousands of miles. I can't remember a single customer that we ever charged for any repairs or updates, even on the '07s. I have done case reseals or complete engine replacements and the owners, (including several forum members) got off for less than the price of an oil change. You don't have to take my word on that, I'm sure they will chime in and back me up.

Kuneff
04-12-2009, 10:41 AM
There is no reason that these bikes should not work right. Even the '07 bikes with the "bad" orange case sealant have proven to be very reliable when properly updated, set-up and serviced. Not all of the orange sealant bikes had problems, and many are still trouble-free after thousands of miles. I can't remember a single customer that we ever charged for any repairs or updates, even on the '07s. I have done case reseals or complete engine replacements and the owners, (including several forum members) got off for less than the price of an oil change. You don't have to take my word on that, I'm sure they will chime in and back me up.

I paid $62 and got a BRAND NEW engine with Black Sealant...

Allen and the guys at Xtreme are GREAT!!!

There is NOT another Bike I would rather own. If a person was to pass on the purchase of an SXV 5.5 just for fear of problems, then they have shortchanged themselves for life... They will miss out on more FUN than they could imagine, and there is no way they will ever be able to make up for that lost time, UNTIL they get smart and Buy a SXV 5.5 from you all.

Kuneff
04-12-2009, 10:46 AM
And another thing... I had some starter issues... I am sure the first was probably my fault... however, Allen took care of it every time, with a smile. They will even loan a guy a smoke. :D

These guys have taken car of me and everyone else that has ever posted about dealing with them. Take a day off work, take your bike to Allen, and I am sure you will never regret it.

Allen Noland
04-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Take a day off work, take your bike to Allen, and I am sure you will never regret it.

His bike is in good hands at Martin Eurosports.

legal-z
04-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Also, does anyone have any experience in purchasing their SXV 550 or SXV 450 from Xtreme Power Sports USA in Maryland. It will be shipped to another state and I don't want the kind of problems that I'm reading in this tread.

I drove a 930 mile round-trip yesterday to pick-up my new, '08 RXV550. Couldn't have been a better experience. Alan is a great guy to deal with. I opted to make the trip instead of buying locally after reading about the service at Xtreme. Also, you can't beat the prices.

Hunterdobe
05-17-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but I have been though a carbon copy of all these complaints with dealers. I bought my bike in march and within two easy days of riding the oil filled the box. The dealer did the intake and said it should be about 3-4 days and I'd have it back. Two months later I started to call and make weekly visits to find the bike dumped in the back corner of the shop buried in vespas. Everytime I called the bitch at the counter would tell me the manager is busy with a customer but will return my call in 30mins. 3 days later and no word I'd try him again and get the same bs story. For the record, in my 6 visits there was never any customers in their half assed dealership. So I took the bike outta vespa kw and put it in at Motoretta in Toronto. They are in the process of replacing the engine under warranty. It's been a few weeks now but they seem good so far. I was told the bike will be ready to go this comming week. Fingers crossed. Sorry about your luck, I know your upset but your not alone in this uphill battle. In my opinion sueing a dealer will be costly, they would prolly be more affected by the threat of a written letter the the BBB. That scars them personally and costs you nothing. Plus the BBB will give the dealer an altematum to fix the present problem to your liking or they get black listed.

CDNSXV
05-17-2009, 10:05 PM
I hate reading posts like this cause it makes me paranoid about my 550. However I have had 3600 trouble free kilometers on mine and the thing is an absolute BLAST to ride. It is by far the most fun bike I have ever ridden and the more I ride it, the more I love it.

Proton
05-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks everyone, I tried calling them again today and no response. At this point I just want my money back and will part with all the aftermarket stuff. Too much headache and not enough support or knowledge from the dealers in my area. I just hooked up my KTM 690Smc and will make that my supermoto.

I purchased my SXV 5.5 in CT too, probably same place you did?? {Confirmed yes, same place} Curious if you mind PM'ing me off line with the name of the dealer. I don't want to go there for my first service. ]

{Now see that it was Motofit and guess I need a plan B for a place to bring my bike for its first service}.

Recommendations for service locations in CT appreciated...or really any place nearby, does not have to be CT.

Rugergundog
05-18-2009, 09:59 PM
1000 miles of wheelies and shizzat head riding on mine in the past two weeks with nothing but burn'n rubber and fuel. OH wait...my chain needed adjusting as did my clutch cable......damn junk bikes how dare they.

RIDE ON!

chrman
05-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I purchased my SXV 5.5 in CT too, probably same place you did?? {Confirmed yes, same place} Curious if you mind PM'ing me off line with the name of the dealer. I don't want to go there for my first service. ]

{Now see that it was Motofit and guess I need a plan B for a place to bring my bike for its first service}.

Recommendations for service locations in CT appreciated...or really any place nearby, does not have to be CT.

Exit 9 Motorsports off Route 91 in Vermont. Worth the 2 hour drive from Albany, NY for me. Randy and Robin (proprietors) are excellent.

gceconi
08-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Charlie100cc,

That dealership was not in Danbury, CT was it? I am looking at an 08' SXV-550 myself but I am very hesitant after reading the reviews. I rode the 550 and what an animal!
I was told by a former dealer in Rockland County, NY not to buy the 550 SXV due to parts inavailability and maintenance problems galore. They told me to get a Husqvarna SM-510. It is apparently very fast and only occaisionally needs a valve adjustment and oil changes.
The SXV beckons though, like a fine Italian mistress it calls. I guess common sense will tell you that mistresses are great for the ride but you will pay later....boy will you pay later. What do you think? The bike has 1K miles on it only and is selling for $5998.

CDNSXV
08-29-2010, 04:46 PM
I was told by a former dealer in Rockland County, NY not to buy the 550 SXV due to parts inavailability and maintenance problems galore. They told me to get a Husqvarna SM-510. It is apparently very fast and only occaisionally needs a valve adjustment and oil changes.

That is mostly BS. SXV parts are not only easy to get but amazingly inexpensive. I expected parts for an Italian thoroughbred to be much more expensive.

IIRC the Husky 510 actually has less oil in the sump than the SXV so will need oil changes just as frequently. And an SXV is faster still. Lots of people like to claim this bike or that bike is fast or nearly as fast as an SXV but I haven't seen one that can keep up to an SXV at WOT.

maple2
08-30-2010, 08:58 AM
If you need a good dealer in CT, I would recommend New Haven Powersports, though i didnt even get my bike there, they welcomed me into the dealership and let me work directly with Jason, the Aprilia tech. His work was very clean and meticulous. He knows his stuff, too. Lots of insight. Many little fittings and things from the other dealer's de-restriction job were just not as nice, so Jason did it all over and it looks trick and runs fantastic. My bike is better than when I bought it. In this neck of the woods, I think he's about it....Allen Noland south of you.
And as far as comparisons to other bikes, you reallly cant.

Proton
08-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the info!

arnieg
08-30-2010, 07:35 PM
The SXV is without compare.
The 550 is not 'worse than the 450, other than more HP stressed and slower revving with a few grams more piston weight. If you want a slightely lower poweredfreer revving ride IE in the RXV (which is detuned v SXV) that makes sense.

I'm inclined to think the ECU proigrams are behing the majority of complaints incl mine.

I am learning to use Tuneboy which (as I understand it is the only way to modify the maps)

If I had The cash, I,d be buying xv's at low prices and doing the program fix.
You'd all die in the dinger if you knew how common these sorts of issues are in the automotive trades.

We arent paid enough or respected enough to attract intelligent people.
(they are all down at Wall ripping us off) That leaves unskilled monkeys intimidated by stingy bosses and crazed customers.

Anyone with a brain is better off contract cleaning than fighting the 'system'.

It's held me in good stead for 40 years that If you want a good (love) job you need to do it yourself. That's the world we live in.

retronakedR
08-31-2010, 03:45 PM
I've been through a bunch of these motors... I think the cam timing is your problem. I got the front cam off by about 10-15 degrees and it did exactly that, The bike ran, but it also pumped oil up to the air box. I had the front cam set before the compression release instead of after, on TDC. I straightened that out and the problem was fixed. the bike ran tons better too! THE guy to take your aprilia to is Jesse at SeaCoast Cycles in Derry, NH, at 603-437-5656. anal retentive and very focused. trust me on this one!

dexta
08-31-2010, 03:50 PM
anal retentive and very focused. trust me on this one!

:pics:

retronakedR
08-31-2010, 03:52 PM
BTW, I have my latest one for sale! 07' SXV. needs a front brake light switch, as the guy I got it from bought it for the track and cut the wires off at the switch. it has about 800 miles on it and is fresh from a case seal replacement. had it at indy for motoGP this last weekend and put about 60 SUPER FUN miles on it. this bike rocks! wish I could keep it, but I'm too poor these days. first 4500 takes it! write me and i'll send you pics.

Allen Noland
08-31-2010, 09:53 PM
I've been through a bunch of these motors... I think the cam timing is your problem. I got the front cam off by about 10-15 degrees and it did exactly that, The bike ran, but it also pumped oil up to the air box. I had the front cam set before the compression release instead of after, on TDC.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get the cam 10-15 degrees out of time? With the indexing pin through the timing holes, it should be either in time or 180 out.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129117&stc=1&d=1268670838

retronakedR
08-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Was not paying attention and didn't realize I had inadvertently moved the cam to the other side of the compresion release while locating the hole in the crank.(had cam sprocket bolt a little too tight and had removed the allen wrench I was using to locate the cam to use on another project... My screw-up, and I no longer try to work on motors if I have ANYTHING else going on.:crowbar: