PDA

View Full Version : What's The Deal With SXVs?

rjken1969
04-02-2009, 01:15 PM
What’s really the deal with the SXVs? I’m debating between a Husky SMR-510 and a SXV5.5. My main concern is reliability. I’ve seen some horror stories on this site, including documentation of poor QC, but you usually only hear the bad on this type of forum. I know they are maintenance intensive, but that is expected with something that runs in such a high state of tune. When I see terms like credit card melting I get nervous. But, nothing is sexier that a hot blooded Italian twin.

So what’s really the deal, the good, the bad, the indifferent…? Any feedback, other than questioning my lineage or orientation, would be most helpful.

Thanks

PimpinJoe
04-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Ive driven the smr510 alot(friend got one) and own a sxv 550 myself. To compare the two bikes would be like taking a scooter up against a gsxr1000 :P Simply what Im saying is that the sxv is MUCH stronger and act like a fu**ing beast compared to the smr. Its ridicilous fun and smooth to ride....

And when it comes to reliability, the sxv shouldnt be any worse than the smr if u take good care of it and change the oil once in a while.

I wouldnt change my sxv for an smr at any time....

Theres alot of people in here with a whole lot more expertise on this bike than I got, and they will probably give u some good specific info. Otherwise u can always use the search tool :)

But in the end, buy the sxv if u want the most extreme motard EVER :D :D

EVLTWN
04-02-2009, 06:07 PM
It's simple, buy the SXV. .:worship:

MickyC51
04-02-2009, 06:31 PM
It's simple, buy the SXV. .:worship:

I agree buy the SXV it is by far......the most fun bike I've ever ridden and when I let a friend ride it they don't want to give it back. I have an 07 and had lots of problems. They waranteed me and 08 motor and it is terrific. All of the complaints I have seen seem to be on the 07's and back. They seem to have turned the corner on reliability.
Of course caveat emptor but I'd buy another.

tripletrash
04-02-2009, 06:56 PM
SXV buy no imitations except no substitutes

MBevans
04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Suggestion, do not buy a 2006-2007 sitting on the dealers floor. Buy a 2008-2009, and enjoy.......Have it properly de-restricted, before even starting it up and you are golden! You most likely will never regret it.

The dealer is the key to worry free living, pick a good one. Ask the bunch on this site, they will steer you in the right direction!

Take care of it and change the oil, quite simple really, then enjoy the Best....

Cheers,
Mark

rjken1969
04-03-2009, 07:07 AM
I found a good deal with a reputable dealer on a ‘08, so I’m comfortable with that. It’s the long term that makes me nervous. I’ve read a few horror stories on this site, with pictures to document some of the poor workmanship. I’ve owned high maintenance bikes before, so that doesn’t bother me. I guess I was looking for some positive feedback to settle my mind before making the plunge.

Kuneff
04-03-2009, 07:34 AM
the SXV 5.5 is hands down the MOST fun I have EVER had on 2 wheels...

I would not want to even imagine a life without my SXV 5.5

That would be a life almost not worth living.

adrenaline21
04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
What’s really the deal with the SXVs? I’m debating between a Husky SMR-510 and a SXV5.5. My main concern is reliability. I’ve seen some horror stories on this site, including documentation of poor QC, but you usually only hear the bad on this type of forum. I know they are maintenance intensive, but that is expected with something that runs in such a high state of tune. When I see terms like credit card melting I get nervous. But, nothing is sexier that a hot blooded Italian twin.

So what’s really the deal, the good, the bad, the indifferent…? Any feedback, other than questioning my lineage or orientation, would be most helpful.

Thanks

I own an '08 SXV 550 and the bike is great! I have owned more bikes than I care to mention. Most fun on two wheels...okay one wheel! You get the picture! But, seriously, your dealer will make or break your confidence in your bike. For me, in the beginning as with any new bike you have a strong learning curve. My bike was not prepped right from the beginnning. Another story all together. My buddy has a new KTM 690 SMC. Absolutely no comparison when it come to power and speed. I must admit this really @#$ him off! I believe someone earlier on this thread said it best, "Almost like comparing a scooter to a GSXR 1000". LOL! Purchase 2008 or later and I believe most people on this website might agree! These guys have TONS of knowledge and a "Real Passion" for these bikes. GO GET IT!