PDA

View Full Version : Help me sort out my Idle.

Sorted
03-26-2009, 08:40 PM
My bike is very cold blooded, perhaps they all are. Mine will not keep idle w/ or w/o the choke on, I have to keep blippin till I get 2 bars. I have fiddled w/ the twist nob cable coming out the right side but this just ads over-run.
Altitude; 5 feet above sea level, air temp; 80 deg.
jetting is stock.
What say ye?

rs125matt
03-27-2009, 06:12 AM
I've got the same trouble at the moment as i've just run engine in after having the 10k engine rebuild, apparently running the engine in at low rpm's and allowing bike to warm up without riding cokes the spark plug up so i've been told to change spark plug and check the fuel mix.

Unfortunately it's an ongoing thing with these bikes your always having to fiddle with one thing or another. But considering in reality the engines are race spec and are designed for like 200 miles total when racing then it's no suprise.

Did you know too that these bike produce more hp per cc than any other sports bike available today!!!

Mines a 2006 btw but same engine.

Sorted
03-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice looking bike btw. I might as well pull the plug and have a gander, but I had expected more people to chime in w/ similar issues given here in the US we all started w/ new stock 09's. I'm sure others have similar atmospheric conditions as I do, like say; Texas, Fla and Ca. Anyone?

maxiboi247
03-28-2009, 06:49 PM
try fiddling with your air mixtore screw or fuel mixture screw(forget what one it is)
screw it all the way in and then unscrew it 2.5 turns out and fiddle around that area to see if it sorts it

swissmister
03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I just bought my RS 125 in Canada and have had similar difficulties with the idle speed and the choke, including starting.

What I noticed is if the choke is at its normal running position once the bike warms up (the switch pushed all the way forward), the idle speed is now responsive to the adjustments made on the idle switch on the cable coming out of the carb. I set mine at a speed that was realistic (likely around 1300 rpm or slightly higher).

As for starting, by having the choke switch pulled back to the rider while starting usually works for me. I then idle the engine myself any where from 2000-3300 rpm. After a short time I push the choke lever forward slightly till the engine is able to maintain its idle speed on its own.

swiss//mister

rs125matt
03-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Nice looking bike btw. I might as well pull the plug and have a gander, but I had expected more people to chime in w/ similar issues given here in the US we all started w/ new stock 09's. I'm sure others have similar atmospheric conditions as I do, like say; Texas, Fla and Ca. Anyone?
Mine is more problematic when it's cold and wet (which in the UK is pretty much constant)
I changed the spark plug to a new (colder) one NGK BR10EG yesterday and i cleaned the air filter but it didn't make much difference apart from the engine behaved more meaty.

But the cold start problem still occurs

I have had the problem ever since i started using 95ron to save a few pounds on the running costs so i'm going to fill it up with v-power or 97ron tonight to see if that makes a difference then if not ill take it back to the dealers to get them to sort it under my complimntary 6 months guarantee.

Anyway as were talking about the air mix screw can someone please advise how to adjust and how far to turn the screw??? (i'm referring to the screw next to the idle speed knob) as i've turned the idle speed knob fully on and fully off and somewhere in between and it doesn't make much difference on cold wet morning. :-(