PDA

View Full Version : gear problems

alfamoi
03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Hello.
Second time I have this problem. Has somebody of You already has it or know what's wrong.

The 2 times, it appears when I run in a meeting of bikers.
So, each time, when I drive a lot of time on the first gear at low speed for a "long" lap of time.
The bike violently slowed like if the engine stops to run (but no problem with it) and "GEAR" appears on the screen with the red triangle light on. I gave more gas, it has re-accelerated and everything came fine....

pete roper
03-23-2009, 03:56 PM
You're not just hitting the rev limiter are you?

Pete

alfamoi
03-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Hello Pete, and thank you;

No no, i was each time as slow as 20km/h...
The first time I almost fell, because I turned in a crossroads, when the bike stop to accelerate

pete roper
03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Hello Pete, and thank you;

No no, i was each time as slow as 20km/h...
The first time I almost fell, because I turned in a crossroads, when the bike stop to accelerate

Sounds perfectly normal to me. When you reach about 20KPH the cenrifugal clutch disengages as you slow down. It's not like an automatic car with a torque converter where you will always have a small amount of drive.

The Clutch on these machines is like a drum brake, you have shoes that are thrown against a drum by centrifugal force as the engine speed increases imparting drive. The shoes are held off the drum by springs. When the the engine speed increases the weight of the spinning bits overcomes the tension of the springs and they throw out and lock to the drum imparting the drive. when you reach a certain point when slowing down the springs will pull the shoes off the drum cutting off the drive so you 'Coast'. The final slowing down is controlled soley by brake.

It may be slightly more noticeable in 'sport' mode but I can't say I've noticed it. I'll go out a bit later and experiment.

Pete

alfamoi
03-23-2009, 06:53 PM
No, no!!
"GEAR" appears on the screen in place of "1" and the red triangle burns to give an alert.
And it's not like the disengage of the clutch, it's like the engine stops running.....

pete roper
03-23-2009, 07:21 PM
No, no!!
"GEAR" appears on the screen in place of "1" and the red triangle burns to give an alert.
And it's not like the disengage of the clutch, it's like the engine stops running.....

Oh, sorry, you did mention that. My mistake.

To be honest I haven't a clue. Is it throwing up any error codes? Do you know how to check using the OBD?

Pete

SilverFoxUno
03-23-2009, 07:53 PM
"EFI" WARNING LIGHT IS ON AND THE WORD "GEAR" IS SHOWN ON THE DISPLAY

BEFORE ANY TROUBLESHOOTING, MAKE SURE THAT:
1) BATTERY VOLTAGE IS ABOVE 12V;
2) THE MAIN 30A FUSE IS NOT DAMAGED AND IS ADEQUATELY FITTED;
3) AUXILIARY FUSES ARE NOT DAMAGED AND ARE ADEQUATELY FITTED.

See your copy of the service manual (Troubleshooting) or your dealer.

tha-mask
03-25-2009, 08:20 AM
I have had something similar twice. For me I was riding in town as part of my normal commute and happen to glance down at the dash and saw the red light and it in RAIN mode, not GEAR. Both times I had to pull over and turn off (reboot :happy:) to clear the problem, Hasnt happened for quite some time.

alfamoi
03-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for your help!

Pete and SilverFoxUno: You're right. It has to do with the ECU.
I have let it check by my mechanic, but he doesn't found anything. And Silver, I found this, thanks to you: "In case of alarms related to the transmission ECU, the general alarm warning light is lit and the dispay shows the word GEAR"...

I hope it may help my mechanic...

tha-mask: I already had that too, in the early beginning. Apart I didn't have the warning light on. The garage does a reparameterization of the gearbox system...

SAFit07
03-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Almost reminds me of some quote I saw in which it 'mocked' Microsoft if it built cars.

To paraphrase, "if Microsoft built automobiles, one would expect to pull off to the side of the road, shut off the engine, restart the engine and continue driving."

I've had to do it 'twice' w/ our MANA and it has 2500 miles on her. Will ask BJ for a 'rekey' of sorts on next service.

alfamoi
04-04-2009, 06:27 AM
:rolleyes: does Aprilia and Microsoft worked together to build the Mana??? :funnypost

Jim web
05-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I was riding today with my bike in touring mode and all of a sudden it went into rain mode and the red light came on, i couldnt go back to the touring mode so at a red light i turned the bike off and restaretd it then everything was good. I also noticed i will be in tourning mode and a 1 appears like it's in first gear i hit the plus and it goes away some weird thing's happen i quess.

Mana-in-NC
05-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Jim,

If you had to turn off the bike and then turn it back on to reset it, had you tried shifting up or down with the paddles or the foot gear first? Sounds like you may have hit the paddle or the foot gear lever without knowing it, as was similar to the last part of your post.

Jim web
05-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I had to turn it off to reset the rain mode, not the gear problem. I just hit the plus paddle and it went off, i might have hit by mistake while i was useing the turn signal's i have big clumsy hand's. I will keep an eye out, thank's for the input Mana-in-NC.