PDA

View Full Version : Is $9500 too much for a plated '09 RS125?

ritchj
03-19-2009, 12:43 AM
There's one for sale in Los Angeles that was apparently plated by 'a dealer.' It has 50km or so on it. They're asking $9,500. It has the euro wiring harness, mirrors, blinkers and the rest.

I thought it was about $600 in parts and a days labor ($400-800 depending on location I'd imagine) to make everything functional.

What's the consensus about registering a non-street legal bike for a state with tons of environmentalists and other possibly over concerned parties. If caught would the liability of the 'mis-registered,' bike be mine, the seller, or the selling/registering dealer? There is that giant plate that says competition motorcycle.

Are the insurance companies smart enough to check the 7th (?) number of the vin to see that it isn't street legal before it is insured or after there's an accident, and not cover the event like here (http://www.eastcoastrover.com/imports.html)

Is there a warranty from Aprilia - for either street or track use?

RZRob
03-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Sounds a bit high to me, but the plating is cool. I've got an RS250 I was thinking of selling. Because mine's plated I'm thinking I can pull $7K. I'd much rather start with a 250, but the 125 looks and sounds like fun.

RZ Rob

ThisEndUp
03-19-2009, 06:20 AM
I'll sell you mine for 9k.........no?......8.5k......no?.......8k....I could go on.

Someone over at that 'dealer' must be smoking some funny stuff.

Contact Allen Noland (McHenry, MD) if you want a street legal bike.
I believe they were prepping them and plating 'em.

Allen,
What's my percentage again? :D

fnfalman
03-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I "think" that my RS is probably close to $9000 right now but it has many, many goodies on it though.

AF1's plated price on the standard RS125 is $6999. That includes wiring harness, lights, dyno break-in & tuning.

As far as insurance goes, I don't have any problem with getting insurance on mine through Progressive.

Socket
03-20-2009, 03:44 PM
I pm'd you. But no, insurence companies didn't care about the 7th digit of the vin...They didn't have a listing for the vin. I actually just insured it under a SR125...

MilesWantsA50
03-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Folks - The little bike in question is ours....and that price was thrown out firstly to see if there was anyone out there that REALLY wanted it BAD (The ol addage - one born every minute, etc)

Now, for reality sake - $8,000 is the real number we are looking for. I am not going to disclose all of the details around the "plating" etc because I am not looking to jeopardize anyone at any dealership, etc.

Rest-assured, its plated, its for real, and please please please if this is NOT the bike for you and you are not even remotely serious about buying it, I ask that negative comments be put aside and request that you look at other topics.

I appreciate the lack of "Seagull" posters on this board (Fly in, crap on the post, Fly out) and hope the trend continues.

Thank you

GrantLW4
03-22-2009, 10:54 AM
(The ol addage - one born every minute, etc)

As in a sucker??

ThisEndUp
03-23-2009, 07:13 AM
(The ol addage - one born every minute, etc)

As in a sucker??

:cheers: :rolleyes:

the brit
03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
I would sell mine for $9500 in a heartbeat. $8,000 and I'd think about it, then agree a minute later.

Allen Noland
03-26-2009, 05:41 AM
My Grandad used to say " There are only two rules when it comes to selling. It is worth exactly what you can get out of it, and it is against the law to sell one without a buyer."

Socket
03-27-2009, 07:28 AM
9500? I almost choked. PM me, I'll make you a much better deal...

gValdivia
04-07-2009, 06:20 PM
So is this bike still for sale?!
I'm in Sacramento and would raher get from someone who already has it plated in CA!

Folks - The little bike in question is ours....and that price was thrown out firstly to see if there was anyone out there that REALLY wanted it BAD (The ol addage - one born every minute, etc)

Now, for reality sake - $8,000 is the real number we are looking for. I am not going to disclose all of the details around the "plating" etc because I am not looking to jeopardize anyone at any dealership, etc.

Rest-assured, its plated, its for real, and please please please if this is NOT the bike for you and you are not even remotely serious about buying it, I ask that negative comments be put aside and request that you look at other topics.

I appreciate the lack of "Seagull" posters on this board (Fly in, crap on the post, Fly out) and hope the trend continues.

Thank you

Socket
04-08-2009, 05:54 PM
So is this bike still for sale?!
I'm in Sacramento and would raher get from someone who already has it plated in CA!

I pm'd you...I'll make you a killer deal on a bike that is plated! Can easily be transfered to you in CA...

aerodan
04-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi All,

I'm new here, reading and lurking in the background :) Living in northern CA. I must say, I really really want another two banger after following the threads and reading about the RS125. I'd owned a plated 95 RS250 some years ago and in a fit of pure insanity, sold it. I kicked myself for doing that...

So, my choices now are to buy a perfect 250 Cup bike that I found and go through the rigors of CA plating, or go for a plated and new 125.

I'd appreciate any input from folks... Thoughts, rumblings...

Ringading, sigh!
-Dan

ThisEndUp
04-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Go for the 250 again.

The 125 is a great track bike, but for the street? imo, not enough get up and go when you need to be gone.
Traffic light to traffic light would suck on that little bike.

On the other hand...if you live up in the hills, with little traffic and plenty of twisties.....

Nah....I'd do the 250 :happy:

Socket
04-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Go for the 250 again.

The 125 is a great track bike, but for the street? imo, not enough get up and go when you need to be gone.

On the other hand...if you live up in the hills, with little traffic and plenty of twisties.....

Nah....I'd do the 250 :happy:

I have absolutely no problem in traffic on my 125.

the brit
04-27-2009, 04:22 PM

I happily rode my RS50 on I-95 to Maryland from PA, to the Shore from Philly and all around the Philly downtown area. Boring as hell on the highway, but a blast between traffic lights and in traffic. [NB: It had a 72cc kit etc].

The 125's are even better as they'll happily cruise at highway speeds (70mph+) without being redline'd like the RS50 needed to be.

Gman2005
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
the RS250 engine is better for track. The thing blows up to much for road use. Plus, the RS is wicked in town and urben riding. You can beat a lot of chaz in there crappy cars ;)

ThisEndUp
04-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Nah.....I'll take a liter bike any day on the street.
I like the 'hit the hyperspace button and be gone' feature. IMO

Here in NJ, on an RS125, you'd be a hood ornament.

Gotta say, after this weekend's double track day (finally in dry weather), the little RS125 kicks big time ass on the track. Absolute joy to ride. 'Beat up on much larger cc bikes.

zvez
04-27-2009, 08:04 PM
I had a honda nsr 250 that was street registered, fun bikes in the mountains, but you really work em. I sold it as absolutely no one anywhere near me that had a clue how to service a two stroke so figured best to unload before major probs arose.

Chris

AmareAprilia
04-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Buy Socket's bike and save a ton.