PDA

View Full Version : March Race Report from ASR

frankd_nm
03-15-2009, 07:58 PM
So, I just got back from the first round of the ASMA races and thought I'd share. I'm a little bummed that I only pulled off three 4th place finish's. Lightweight Superbike, Formula 40 and Lightweight GP. I'm telling myself that it's not too bad, since I was running against SV 650's and a Ducati 748. There's a bit of a horsepower difference there. On the other hand 2 of the riders are just better and more experienced riders than I am and probably would have smoked me if they were on CRF100's. I did manage to shave 3 seconds off my best lap time, so I feel really good about that.

The bike ran really well this weekend. I put on a set of Michelin Power One's and they stuck really well. It seemed a little slower transitioning from turn to turn and didn't lean in as fast as with the stock Pirelli's, but overall I was very pleased with the tires. I think I'll lower the front end a little and that should help with the transitions in the turns. I was told that I was the first one to get a 110 front in the Country.....just thought that was interesting.

I've got to go to a heavier fork oil. When I did the front seal I used the stock recommended 7.5 weight. I'd only run it once on the track at that point and since I'm only 120 lbs I thought I'd run that. After today I think I'm going to try 15 weight.

All in all, I had a great weekend. Had lots of fun, improved my riding and had lots of people asking about the sexy little Aprilia.

nubus
03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Good job Frank! Hope my first outing goes as well!
So you liked the P1 tires, hmmmm...
Did you do anything to your brake setup?
Gearing, top speed? Details man!!!

frankd_nm
03-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Ok, I was trying not to be too boring with all the details, but since you asked.:happy:

The bike is almost bone stock. All I've done is install the VForce3 reeds, change the main jet and pulled the snorkel out of the air box. Oh, and the tire change and install the Sharkskinz bodywork of course.

So, still running the stock brakes and stock gearing.

The gearing seems pretty well suited to the track. Now that I'm keeping the revs up a little better it was pulling really strong. If you look at the Arroyo Seco course layout (we were running clockwise this month and alternate every month) the only place I couldn't keep it at or above above 9k rpm was through the Bus Stop turn. I was dropping to about 8k rpm through the tight right to avoid having to shift in the quick transition to the left. When I got a good drive out of Carousel down the back straight I was reaching top speeds of 97-98 mph.

The stock brakes seem to be holding up OK. I was worried after reading about the AF1 teams issues with them, but the 7 lap sprints don't seem to be putting as much stress on them as a 5 hour endurance race. I also find that I'm using the rear brake much more than I did on my previous bike. In an effort to keep my corner speeds up I found myself just using a little rear brake coming into a couple of the corners.

They haven't posted race results yet, but looking over my time sheets from practice sessions here's how it looks.

At the March 7 practice (the first time I ran the Aprilia in the clockwise direction) I was running in the 1:36 to 1:32 range. Most laps were 1:34 or 1:33. The March 14 morning practice I was running mostly 1:32's with one 1:34 time. Then in the afternoon session I was running 1:32's and 1:31's with a few 1:30's in there. I'm not sure what the winners in my races were running but I suspect they were in the low 1:20's. Both of the Lightweight races the 2 leaders lapped me near the end of my lap 6.

fnfalman
03-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Frank,

Would you consider racing the RS at Sandia track? Or you think that the altitude would kill the bike's power?

frankd_nm
03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
fnfalman,

I was thinking about trying to get up to Sandia for a trackday this year. I should be able to re-jet without too much trouble. Making it out for a race up there is looking pretty doubtful this year. Between schedule conflicts with ASR, the added driving distance and my already stretched racing budget I don't think I'll be able to do it.

ThisEndUp
03-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Frank,

Did you lose the whole air box or just ditch the lid?

and....ah...120 lbs? My dog almost ways as much as you..:happy:

Congrats on the race results thus far, buddy.

frankd_nm
03-18-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm running the airbox with the lid still on. I just removed the snorkel completely when I put in the VForce 3 reeds.

Yeah, I'm a scrawny little sob. I had to laugh at the races last weekend. I was talking with a couple of people about the new bodywork. Mentioned that it was probably 15 pounds lighter than the stock stuff. One of the ladies that races in the Lightweight class made a joke about my being 110 lbs dripping wet and I'm worried about saving weight!

frankd_nm
03-18-2009, 07:50 PM
*&%^$# - They posted the results online and I'm really disappointed now. It turned out I got 5th place in the Lightweight GP race and not 4th like I thought!:crybaby: And even worse, the leaders were turning in 1:17's. Looks like I've got a lot of improving to do.

Still, it was the best time I've had in months and I can't wait for the next race regardless of where I finish.

Socket
03-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey frank, I'll give you a call, but I plan on being at arroyo the 28th/29th, duc track day, and possbily get my ASR license. Though, I'll have the KTM supermoto, not the ape.

frankd_nm
03-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Go for it Socket. Get the ASR license!
Too bad you're not coming out for the standard trackday with the ape. I think I've talked one of the guys at work into bringing his Aprilia 450 Motard out for trackday on the 11th. It would be nice to stage an Aprilia invasion out there at ASR. I'm pretty sure a guy from Las Cruces would have his RS250 out there too.

I was thinking about drumming up 4 more Aprilia riders and doing a track rental for a day, so we could let the Aprilia's "Own the track" for a day, but that was before I went and bought a 2nd RS125 today. I'm such a bad boy!

Dieterly
04-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Hey Frank,

I just put some Power One's on but I haven't had a chance to run them yet. Did you end lower the front? Also, what kind of cold tire pressure are you running?

Magnus

frankd_nm
04-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Hey Frank,

I just put some Power One's on but I haven't had a chance to run them yet. Did you end lower the front? Also, what kind of cold tire pressure are you running?

Magnus

I've been running around 30psi rear and 28psi front. Last time at the track I set the pressure after the tires warmers were on and the tires were up to temp. I set at 32psi rear and 30 front and that seemed to work well.

I did lower the front end about 4mm and went to a 15wt fork oil after the first race weekend. The fork oil made the front end seem more stable in the corners and the bike transitioned well also.

Dieterly
04-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks Frank,

I assume the 4 mm is in addition to what the bike was set up at the factory, not a total of 4mm, correct?

Steve / AF1 Racing
04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Any racing is good racing in my opinion.

Congrats on the finishes. To be anywhere in a 125GP race on the RS125 is impressive. The RS125 is quick, but versus GP machines, its just not the same.

Best luck for the rest of the year, let me know if you need/want anything.