PDA

View Full Version : Very Very Tempted.

Nimrod1408
03-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Hello All

I'm currently the rider of a Buell XB9s but I'm not happy about the constant threat of it costing me a fortune..

I've got my eye on a Mana but have a couple of questions...

1 - I'm 6ft 2 and fit nicely on a Buell. Will I be cramped on the Mana.
2 - Is the Mana like the Ducati Monster and everytime you see one they've had one lady owner.. not good for my man pride...!
3 - Is this going to be a nightmare in service / repair costs?

This bike is custom built for a lazy laid back rider like me who simply wants to tootle somewhere nice with a pillion...

Any help will be great...

Thanks

Nimrod...

ManaSport
03-06-2009, 12:45 AM
tempted sort of, but many wives have a Mana :D and Aprilia parts are expensive often. and you need to service it more often

JodyH
03-06-2009, 10:31 AM
The majority of Aprilia parts are no more expensive than any other brand.
Service intervals are the same as other brands.
Reliability has been exceptional in my experience.

shadyman
03-06-2009, 01:48 PM
This bike is great for 2-up riding!

Mike
03-06-2009, 07:14 PM
and you need to service it more often

More often than what?

ManaSport
03-07-2009, 03:15 AM
More often than what?

other automatics, those of the maxi class (4000K) but Mana needs servicing and more maintenance as in a motorcycle.

Nimrod1408
03-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone.. I cant help but feel a little unsure but it seems to have everything I need in a bike..

Off the dealership this weekend so lets see what I get for the buell...

Thanks again.

williamr
03-11-2009, 05:30 AM
other automatics, those of the maxi class (4000K) but Mana needs servicing and more maintenance as in a motorcycle.

Depends on the motorcycle. Mine has an inspection only user service every 4K (takes about 10 minutes) and full service every 12K. Mana belt is the only real extra. Bike final drive chain needs regular lube - but you can fit an oiler - and that's the only real difference from a big scoot.

I can't see any real exceptional miantenance issues.

Rob

pete roper
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
You don't even have to do the tappets until 30,000Km!!!!! How little maintenance do you want???

Biggest issue is the belt at 20,000Km. Not that this is in itself a huge job but it needs some special tools or their equivalent and then you have to 'Re-Train' the transmission control 'pooter with the Axone which means taking it to your dealer. I haven't had to do this with mine yet, I'm only about a third of the way there and I don't know whether belt replacement is signalled by distance travelled, belt wear, or both, or either! If it is on wear I'll probably get further out of mine as I very rarely ride it hard or take it ot of 'Touring' and it lives in the country so the belt gets a very easy time of it.

Other than that. Lube and adjust the chain, (I've had to adjust ONCE in 6000Km, it is very easy on the chain!), change oil and filter occasionally, check coolant once a week, (Visual check on reservoir.) tyres as required, (I've just put on my second set at about 5,700km.).

Turn key, press button. Go ride.

Lovely!

Pete

JodyH
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Buy an X-ring chain and forget about it, no lube necessary.

pete roper
03-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Dunno if the original is an x or o ring but it is a sealed chain. Aren't they all nowadays? I just wipe it once a week with a clean rag with a bit of kero on and then give it a spray with lithium grease. seems to keep it in tip top shape.

pete

Jennings Junkie
03-23-2009, 07:26 PM

I'm guessing you're still in shock about how little (if any) you were offered for the Buell- they have almost zero resale value. Good bikes, but nobody seems to recognize it.

When it comes to maintenance, the XB wins hands-down: there is no valve adjustment, no chain, no coolant/radiator/water pump, one front brake disc, cable clutch... and the parts are less expensive than European or Japan Inc. It's 1957 technology- dead simple and reliable.

'prilla bill
05-02-2009, 11:51 AM

I'm guessing you're still in shock about how little (if any) you were offered for the Buell- they have almost zero resale value. Good bikes, but nobody seems to recognize it.

When it comes to maintenance, the XB wins hands-down: there is no valve adjustment, no chain, no coolant/radiator/water pump, one front brake disc, cable clutch... and the parts are less expensive than European or Japan Inc. It's 1957 technology- dead simple and reliable.

It may not have a chain but it has a belt and the achilles heel of belt drive is pebbles getting between the belt and sprocket and poking a hole in the belt.Not a huge deal on Sportster based bikes like the Buell but a nightmare on big twins.

ritchj
05-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Unfortunately the only technology from 1957 I really appreciate are the cocktails.