PDA

View Full Version : 1999 RS125 SP Unknown problem...

RS Kai
03-02-2009, 05:41 AM
hi

i purchased my rs125 around a month ago and a month before that it had a full top and bottom rebuild (has done around 2000 miles since)

it started to develop a strange noise in 3rd and 4th gear, sounding like a sieren almost as i mistaken it for being police. The sound has got louder and in all of the gears now it is struggling to gain power and the bike feels very rough when accellerating past 4k revs. it has gone a lot slower too

please can someone point me in the direction of what this problem could be as im in desperate need of using the bike.

cheers, kai

dellenty69
03-02-2009, 05:59 AM
sounds like a blown bottom end. (engine rebuild is in order)

if your bike is an SP im guessing it as a kick start? but i have a fully rebuilt bottom end out of a 2001 bike. (no kick start) 200, new bearings, new crank and con rod. new gaskets etc fully rebuilt and ready to go.

RS Kai
03-02-2009, 06:13 AM
cheers for the speedy reply and advise.

yeah it does have a kickstart.. so i guess i couldnt use what you have?
what price am i looking at mate, if you know?

thanks

dellenty69
03-02-2009, 06:30 AM
yeah you can put the kick start mechanism and clutch cover onto my engine. and it would work the same as before.

to rebuild an engine (just the bottom end) it will set you back rougly 250-300, to rebuild the crank its roughly 140 bearings, gaskets, seals, will cost you close too 100 then htere is labour on top of it etc.

where abouts are you too mate?

RS Kai
03-02-2009, 06:42 AM
hi mate i'm in derby if you know where that is?

i have a mate that can do any labour so i guess all that i would need is the parts.
if it was done 3 months ago at a garage and has only done 2300 miles since do you think they would amend it?

thanks again

Gman2005
03-02-2009, 07:41 AM
alright mate, you would have to change both sides of the clutch casing to have the kick start. It will be easier to get the engine rebuilt rather then having all that un need work on the bike.

Micah / AF1 Racing
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Clutch basket bearing? On the RS50 the noise was more like a screech but, the similar to what you describe. The center bearing, which is really a bushing, must run wet with oil, if oil level is too low in the gearcase then this is highly probable.