PDA

View Full Version : RS125 Light kit anywhere?

Kuntry
02-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Anyone found a lighting kit for the RS125? I see the UK has a RS125 with all the lights on it. I'm wondering if there is any place to buy a kit.
I don't supose anyone has had much luck with getting plates

frankd_nm
02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
I haven't seen anybody with a kit out yet, but they have some of the things you need right here in the AF1 store. Here are some of the things you'll need.

Blinkers http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=3061 and http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=3060
Headlight wiring pigtail http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=6880
License plate holder http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=6878
Rear brake switch http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2769
Front brake switch - I ordered the stock Aprilia part
Tail light wiring pigtail - Order the stock Aprila part or make your own

I think that covers most of the parts needed, but....and it's a big but....you'll have to do a fair amount of wiring yourself. Aprilia cut many of the necessary connections out of the wiring harness. For example they cut the connections out of the harness where your left side handlebar switches connect. If you're ok with doing wiring it's not too difficult, but if you don't know anything about wiring you will want to take it to a shop to do it.

As for getting them platted, it's been mixed. Some of us in the southwest (small towns and wild west attitude) have had no trouble, but others haven't been so lucky.

fnfalman
02-19-2009, 12:56 PM
AF1 is still waiting for a couple of UK sources to sell them the wiring harness kit. That's what my bike need in order to get it plated and street legal. And yes, gotta love Arizona, New Mexico and Texas for registration of certain types of vehicles.

nubus
02-19-2009, 10:38 PM
I hae the headlight harness, the palte hanger and bulb holder.
No plate for me, so no need for the parts.

bob knox
02-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Please keep this thread alive. I to am curious about the parts list as no one here in MA knows much about these bikes. Having the right inspection connections seems to be the key. It would be fantastic if AF1 could sell the whole kit even if they have to put bold BUYER BEWARE postings all over it.

Waiting for Spring in the Great White North East,
Bob K.

J-CEE
02-27-2009, 05:15 PM
I have been inquiring with my local dealership about whether the bike comes with all the lights and mirrors. Their Aprilia rep said that it does not but I have seen AF1's pics from their trackday and the pics of them putting the bikes together out of the crates and they had everything! Even the stock plate holder/fender. One of the pictures even showed the headlights on! So im thinking do some come with all of the safety equipment and some without?
Does anyone knowr? Has anyone purchased their bike with everything on it?

I am so ready to get one and I know I can register it in my state as we have absolutley no emissions regulations for motorcycles. I even checked with the DMV to make sure I would be able to. I just don't want to have to piece together a brand new bike...or maybe im just lazy ;)

Thanks for any input!

nubus
02-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm sure they will chime in, but click here...AF1 RS125 (http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=6458)
AF1's bikes did not come with all that stuff, read the description.
They installed it after the fact and the price reflects it.
If you're truly lazy they will ship you one ready to go!

Sorted
02-27-2009, 09:23 PM
What Nubus said, none come with lights etc, It seems Aprilia actually had to go through the trouble of making up 'new' harness's that would not easily allow for adding; horn, signals, brake light, pressure switch connectors etc. My understanding is that this was an extra measure that was required by the DOT to enable Aprilia USA to import them, that and a gazillian other stickers and frame plates stating "CLOSED CIRCUIT USE ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahem" Tires and headlight are also non-DOT. I am very curious why the rear brake light IS however DOT. Off hand I can't think of another bike that uses the same rear lens, even if it was just a parts bin convenience.

J-CEE
02-28-2009, 12:49 AM
thanks a bunch guys, that really helps clear up a lot of my ?'s! I sooooo want one to go with my sxv and figured it would be a great around towner! now that I know I can get just about all the parts I will talk to my aprilia xpert at the dealership and see if he would be able to get it all to work!

......I just need to stop bein cheap and order one from AF1 and save the hassle, hell I aint married!!

nubus
02-28-2009, 10:01 AM
......I just need to stop bein cheap and order one from AF1 and save the hassle, hell I aint married!!

Ha, ha, ha, ha... now that's funny!

fnfalman
03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
thanks a bunch guys, that really helps clear up a lot of my ?'s! I sooooo want one to go with my sxv and figured it would be a great around towner! now that I know I can get just about all the parts I will talk to my aprilia xpert at the dealership and see if he would be able to get it all to work!

That's what I did with the Tuono, the SR50 Factory and now the RS125. I just called up Ed and said, "Please do your magic." Then I go and work my ass off to pay for it.

J-CEE
03-04-2009, 02:02 PM
yeah i have been talking to Ed and it looks like im going to let them do the work, its definately worth the xtra grand! Especially since im from outta state and dont have to pay the taxes! just have to add shippin..
they are just waiting for some more harness'
As an off the topic question(s), how are the size dimensions of this bike say compared to a 600? it seems from what i have read they only seem to be an inch smaller here and there...
Also how often do you have to fill up the oil injection resevoir, ie how many tanks of gas can you ride on to how often do u fill the oil resv.?

fnfalman
03-06-2009, 10:36 PM
yeah i have been talking to Ed and it looks like im going to let them do the work, its definately worth the xtra grand! Especially since im from outta state and dont have to pay the taxes! just have to add shippin..
they are just waiting for some more harness'
As an off the topic question(s), how are the size dimensions of this bike say compared to a 600? it seems from what i have read they only seem to be an inch smaller here and there...
Also how often do you have to fill up the oil injection resevoir, ie how many tanks of gas can you ride on to how often do u fill the oil resv.?
When you register your bike in your state, you will have to pay the state tax anyway.

As far as the size and weight, I've only sat on one and not ridden, but I'd say that it's more in line with the Ninja 250 than a supersport 600. And I think that Ed said that the oil reservoir, once filled up, is good for about two or three gas tanks.

Steve / AF1 Racing
06-22-2009, 02:54 PM
We have a complete kit assembled, it uses all Aprilia parts and perfectly replicates the '09 RS125 European model set-up.

In Stock:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=7453

http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/af1-852146-kit_d.jpg

ecogreek
06-22-2009, 06:24 PM
We have a complete kit assembled, it uses all Aprilia parts and perfectly replicates the '09 RS125 European model set-up.

In Stock:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=7453

http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/af1-852146-kit_d.jpg

Do you need to order the main wiring kit besides this one?

Steve / AF1 Racing
06-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Do you need to order the main wiring kit besides this one?

No, the main wiring harness is included in the kit.

quagmire
06-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I have a street kitted 09 with all the working lights etc., but some of the dash lights do not work. When I turn the ignition on and the tach cycles all the dash lights come on, but the turn signal and high beam indicator dash lights do not work. It's not a big deal, but I was riding around one night with my high beams on. I kept wondering why everyone in front of me kept turning their heads around and looking at me.

Steve / AF1 Racing
06-23-2009, 09:51 PM
I have a street kitted 09 with all the working lights etc., but some of the dash lights do not work. When I turn the ignition on and the tach cycles all the dash lights come on, but the turn signal and high beam indicator dash lights do not work. It's not a big deal, but I was riding around one night with my high beams on. I kept wondering why everyone in front of me kept turning their heads around and looking at me.

Sounds like you are missing one or both of the relays, and maybe one of the 2 diodes.

Our complete kit allows everything to function (high beam and turn indicators included).

quagmire
06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Sounds like you are missing one or both of the relays, and maybe one of the 2 diodes.

Our complete kit allows everything to function (high beam and turn indicators included).

My high beam works, as do my turn signals. What does not work are the coinciding lights on the gauges. They do light up when I turn the ignition switch on, just not when using the turn signals or high beam.

Steve / AF1 Racing
06-24-2009, 08:42 PM
My high beam works, as do my turn signals. What does not work are the coinciding lights on the gauges. They do light up when I turn the ignition switch on, just not when using the turn signals or high beam.

Yeah, that's what ours did with the homemade harness we did last year. You'll have to add a diode to each circuit to get them to light up on the dash as well.

motion
08-31-2016, 04:57 PM
Hi AF1: Assuming you no longer have these kits available?

perzbenz
09-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Hi AF1: Assuming you no longer have these kits available?

I contacted them last month. Unfortunately they do not carry them anymore :(

Steve / AF1 Racing
09-10-2016, 01:21 PM
I contacted them last month. Unfortunately they do not carry them anymore :(

We'd gladly carry them if Aprilia still made them.

The part number was briefly abolished in 2014 and then reactivated in early 2015. We have had a standing backorder for 2 kits since March of 2015. Though, I expect that Aprilia will eventually just cancel our backorder for them, citing that the part has, again, been abolished.

Stuvvie
09-12-2016, 12:46 PM
I would look for a good custom shop specialized in motor management and get it custom made. I mean for the $600 price tag I would find that way more reasonable as I estimate total costs to be closer to maybe 250 including labor.....

I redid my entire '96 wiring with alternative connectors as I had too much corrosion but I did not end up above 50 euro's...I am tempted to offer the service if I could find a NM wiring loom to replicate.