PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning to race???

nubus
02-17-2009, 12:42 AM
I think I'm gonna race mine, since my plate got revoked.
Anybody else gonna step up or everybody just doing track days?
Really need a belly pan and tail section though, hmmm, frame sliders.
Is there any reasonably priced bodywork to be had anywhere in the US?
I saw that Sharkskinz was having a sale that excludes Aprilia RS125.
But there is no Aprilia RS125 parts available on their website, WTF?
I'm about to pull my lower and MacGyver it into a race legal form.
I guess I could paint my race number on the passenger seat!
Just a frickin cowl would be cool, seriously Aprilia, WTF???

(frustrated...)

frankd_nm
02-17-2009, 08:41 AM
I'll be racing mine this season.

The bodywork situation is a bummer, but AF1 is working on it. They're expecting prototype bodywork sometime this month (Feb.) from what I understand.

In the mean time I'm just going with tape number plates and a rigged catch can.

The frame sliders are another issue. Seems there's some debate about the mounts being strong enough.

odie_trackie
02-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I took my RS125 to a Kart track in Riverside Ca, this past Sunday and there was a lot of interest from the kids and their parents. Some kids looked at it as something they would get as they got older and some parents (guys my age) looked at is as a cheap race bike.

I heard that WERA is creating a class specifically for this bike. CMRRA (one of the minibike racing organizations in California) has a class for 125s, so it might be legal for them, too. Once race parts start showing up (and I learn how to ride it proper) I am planning on at least trying racing. A stock spec class for this bike seems like a great way to race on the cheap.

Riding the 125 on a kart track is physically tough and really taxes the suspension and braking, but it was fun. It felt like riding a big bike on a really technical track.

It was definitely forcing me to think about everything from braking, body position, line to (and definitely not least) shifting.

ThisEndUp
02-17-2009, 12:10 PM
(and I learn how to ride it proper)

Tell me about it......

I'm having a hard time getting used to the steering.....forget shifting, body english and lines :) This thing is like a bicycle with a motor. 'Turns wicked fast.

Coming from a liter superbike to the RS is quite a shocker. A season on this little bike should really instill perfect riding technique.

odie_trackie
02-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Fortunately for me, I have 22+ years of bicycle racing. Definitely helps adapt to the tiny bikes. I definitely feel more at home on the 125 than any of my bikes...except the SV, but that's only because I am used to it and it has better suspension.

Tell me about it......

I'm having a hard time getting used to the steering.....forget shifting, body english and lines :) This thing is like a bicycle with a motor. 'Turns wicked fast.

Coming from a liter superbike to the RS is quite a shocker. A season on this little bike should really instill perfect riding technique.

nubus
02-18-2009, 12:46 AM
In the mean time I'm just going with tape number plates and a rigged catch can.

Our rules require a oil retaining lower.
Just having an overflow bottle won't work.
May be easier to fashion a small catch pan.
The NCR Ducatis use really small one.

Ted / AF1 Racing
02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Jon and I will be doing the 5 hour endurance race this Saturday at the CMRA races at Oak Hill. He'll also be sprinting it on Sunday in Clubman and F4.

Our prototype Sharkskinz will be here Friday and with any luck we'll get them mounted up at the track. Otherwise we'll try to squeeze this through tech:

http://apriliaforum.com/images/racing/IMG_7988.jpg

ThisEndUp
02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
:happy:

Ha! That's what my bike looks like. Even lost those "Lotus" air dams to fit the clipons.

You could have sprung for some red tape though :rolleyes: sheesh. Even I'm not that cheap. :p:

Ted / AF1 Racing
02-18-2009, 12:25 PM
White tape is for number plates.

ThisEndUp
02-18-2009, 02:59 PM
White tape is for number plates.

:cheers: Just playing with ya :happy:

frankd_nm
02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I still get to use the nice yellow tape. Used for novice racers at ASR. It looks pretty good on the red and yellow bike.

Don't keep us waiting long Ted. As soon as you can get a picture of the new Sharkskinz we want to see!

odie_trackie
02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
So, did you guys get the fairing prototypes?

Did you guys race the RS125? How did that go?

Jon and I will be doing the 5 hour endurance race this Saturday at the CMRA races at Oak Hill. He'll also be sprinting it on Sunday in Clubman and F4.

Our prototype Sharkskinz will be here Friday and with any luck we'll get them mounted up at the track. Otherwise we'll try to squeeze this through tech:

http://apriliaforum.com/images/racing/IMG_7988.jpg

odie_trackie
02-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Found this on Sharkskinz's site:
http://www.sharkskinz.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=145&cat=RS125

Oh, Ted, you mentioned racing "Clubman". Is that WERA?

ThisEndUp
02-24-2009, 02:26 PM

They're taking orders...nothing in stock yet.

Shipping costs are 50-75. (for a race seat?) Is Florida part of the UK? :rolleyes:

odie_trackie
02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Nope, Florida isn't in the UK. But having lived there, I can attest that it's a world away. :)

They're taking orders...nothing in stock yet.

Shipping costs are 50-75. (for a race seat?) Is Florida part of the UK? :rolleyes:

Gluge
02-24-2009, 08:26 PM
I guess no one reads RRW ? - http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35441

ThisEndUp
02-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I guess no one reads RRW ? - http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35441

I'ts been many a moon since I was a teenager. No hopes of me entering that series.

I'm just looking for a race tail for my track bike.

and no, I don't read RRW......I read Playboy :cheers:

Steve / AF1 Racing
02-24-2009, 10:32 PM

Oh, Ted, you mentioned racing "Clubman". Is that WERA?

The Sharkskinz are inbound to us. Ordered 5 sets today, will call and get a ship date tomorrow.

Ted and Jon would not stop talking about two things regarding the RS125 this weekend:

First: The chassis and suspension actually worked better with the dedicated Dunlop race rubber, despite reservations that extra grip would expose weak spots in the chassis.

Second: The Sharkskins that we got (which are a full prototype kit) were installed in under 1/2 hour. All marks lined up perfectly and the fiberglass is durable and pliable enough to deform in a crash rather than shatter.

Ted and Jon are racing the RS125 in the CMRA. Endurance class is called Formula 4. Jon also sprints the RS125 in the sprint version of Formula 4, Clubman, and 125GP.

Finishes at the weekends races were:

1st in F4 sprint
2nd in F4 Endurance (5 hours)
3rd in Clubman
8th in 125 GP

http://www.cmraracing.com/results.asp

I promise photos of the Sharkskinz bodywork tomorrow.

Dieterly
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM
First: The chassis and suspension actually worked better with the dedicated Dunlop race rubber, despite reservations that extra grip would expose weak spots in the chassis.

Hi Steve,

Do you know exatcly what tire combination they went with (what I told the local Dunlop supplier didn't make sense to him, but I'm sure I gave him the wrong info since I'm all new Dunlop slicks...). Also any date on the rear sets?

Magnus,

Ted / AF1 Racing
02-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Hi Steve,

Do you know exatcly what tire combination they went with (what I told the local Dunlop supplier didn't make sense to him, but I'm sure I gave him the wrong info since I'm all new Dunlop slicks...). Also any date on the rear sets?

Magnus,

Magnus,

They are the Dunlop KR108 and KR133 for 250cc GP machines. Absolutely fantastic rubber. We put over an hour of testing on them, 3 Sprint races and a full 5 hour Endurance and they'll likely last through another race weekend.

Here's the Sharkskinz mounted up. We were floored at the fit and finish of the prototype, and I crash tested them with a 40mph highside in the rain resulting in only minor scuffs.

http://apriliaforum.com/images/racing/OHR_endurance_1.jpg

Jon was able to get in the 37s at Oak Hill, here's a quick vid that I've had a chance to get to:

qnYtmROjUls&fmt=18

Stay tuned for the full race report, more pics, and more vids.

ThisEndUp
02-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Man, that's one gnarly bumpy track. It almost makes Pocono look good.

Are you guys running with stock suspension?

Ted / AF1 Racing
02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Are you guys running with stock suspension?

Yep.

And actually the bike was essentially stock except for dropping the forks about 20mm and running race rubber. Jon and I were very pleased with how it behaved, we couldn't do anything to make it act weird.

ThisEndUp
02-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Yep.

And actually the bike was essentially stock except for dropping the forks about 20mm and running race rubber. Jon and I were very pleased with how it behaved, we couldn't do anything to make it act weird.

Well, that's encouraging.

Did you pull the airbox out? I couldn't help noticing that warning light frantically blipping away.

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Stock Carb, Intake Choker, Pipe.....it runs quite well as is for endurance racing?

Weighed it today, 264 lbs with enough fuel to do a few laps.

The_Reaper
02-25-2009, 04:06 PM
i'd love to do racing, just can't afford it and no one would just give a bike to a rookie :(

odie_trackie
02-25-2009, 04:43 PM
How much sag did you put in the back? How heavy was your rider?

So, you guys raised the forks in the triples by 20mm?

Yep.

Ted / AF1 Racing
02-25-2009, 04:54 PM
How much sag did you put in the back? How heavy was your rider?

So, you guys raised the forks in the triples by 20mm?

Didn't change the rear sag from stock. We only had about an hour to play with the front end. I weigh about 170# and Jon is about the same I think.

Yes, the tops of the forks are showing ~20mm above the triple clamp.

odie_trackie
02-25-2009, 05:21 PM
I took my 125 to a cart track in Riverside a couple of weeks ago and it handled alright. It dived a bit, but nothing too weird. The cart track has a couple of lot straights (for a cart track) and I had to brake hard into each one. It didn't inspire a lot of confidence under trail braking.

I put about 1/2" of additional pre-load (pretty much doubled it) but didn't fiddle with the front. Can you possible measure how much thread is showing above the pre-load adjuster nut on your bike so I can get an idea of how much preload you have (which will tell me the front/rear ride height bias)?

Didn't change the rear sag from stock. We only had about an hour to play with the front end. I weigh about 170# and Jon is about the same I think.

Yes, the tops of the forks are showing ~20mm above the triple clamp.

Steve / AF1 Racing
02-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Track Fairings for sale here:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=7142

http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st2/sz7023-6.jpg

Delivery expected the second week of March.

Steve / AF1 Racing
02-25-2009, 06:42 PM
I took my 125 to a cart track in Riverside a couple of weeks ago and it handled alright. It dived a bit, but nothing too weird. The cart track has a couple of lot straights (for a cart track) and I had to brake hard into each one. It didn't inspire a lot of confidence under trail braking.

I put about 1/2" of additional pre-load (pretty much doubled it) but didn't fiddle with the front. Can you possible measure how much thread is showing above the pre-load adjuster nut on your bike so I can get an idea of how much preload you have (which will tell me the front/rear ride height bias)?

9mm of thread showing.

Gman2005
02-25-2009, 07:19 PM
the stock shocks are shit really. They don't last long before leaking. You really need to up date the rear shock. Plus, the front forks are alot softer then the old set up. Iv got a 98 and a 04 bike and they are two difference bikes.

The 98 has fully adjustible shock with hardered suspention. Compare that to my sloppy 04 bike which needs a new shock because its leaked all the oil out of it. Still doesn't compair even when the shock worked. These bikes are a dream with the right set up.

Gman

odie_trackie
02-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks very much.

nubus
02-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Ordered a set of bodywork tonight.
At least it's cheaper to work on than the Duc!
Thanks AF1, again...

Jon / AF1 Racing
02-26-2009, 11:20 AM
We put 20w oil in the front forks as well.

I am extremely happy with the way the bike handles. I was expecting some poor handling characteristics once we went to the slicks, but we didn't have any problems. The front brake did fry the rotor with the stock pads, so we will be putting a brembo floater on with some race pads.

We will be messing around with the sag and front ride height at the next practice session, but I know I could ride this bike "as is" to wins all year.

What a sweet ride.

odie_trackie
02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
So, you're saying you warped the stock rotor? Is the track you were on require heavy braking?

Thanks for the info. This is really cool!

We put 20w oil in the front forks as well.

I am extremely happy with the way the bike handles. I was expecting some poor handling characteristics once we went to the slicks, but we didn't have any problems. The front brake did fry the rotor with the stock pads, so we will be putting a brembo floater on with some race pads.

We will be messing around with the sag and front ride height at the next practice session, but I know I could ride this bike "as is" to wins all year.

What a sweet ride.

Ted / AF1 Racing
02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
So, you're saying you warped the stock rotor? Is the track you were on require heavy braking?

Thanks for the info. This is really cool!

I posted a video a few posts above of the track if you want to get a good idea of what the track is like.

At race pace almost all braking is heavy, and combine that with the fact that this is a streetbike not really engineered for 170# guys racing it at the limits it's pretty amazing the stock setup performs as well as it does.

By the way, we got a mention here: http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35648

nubus
02-26-2009, 01:05 PM
The front brake did fry the rotor with the stock pads.

Do you think I can avoid this problem with HH pads?

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I am personally not a fan of EBC pads, they leave a LOT of deposited metal on the disk in addition to the fact that I have seen multiple sets that are built just slightly outside of OEM spec sizes and do not slide as well as stock pads, Ferodos, Galfers, etc...

nubus
02-26-2009, 03:15 PM
I am personally not a fan of EBC pads, they leave a LOT of deposited metal on the disk in addition to the fact that I have seen multiple sets that are built just slightly outside of OEM spec sizes and do not slide as well as stock pads, Ferodos, Galfers, etc...

What no link to your part # ???
You're gettin' soft Micah!

Steve / AF1 Racing
02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
What no link to your part # ???
You're gettin' soft Micah!

Special order from Spain for Galfer, should have them mid-March

Ferodo didn't want to bring them in...

Jon / AF1 Racing
02-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't know if the rotor is warped, but it has major hot spots that have varying friction, giving the feeling of a warped rotor. I need to bead blast it to see if it is truly warped.

I think good pads would save the rotor, as they grip better. The stock pads don't have the grip, so they just build up lots of heat rather than slowing the bike down.

frankd_nm
02-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Holy Boneshakers Batman! I've been down fire roads that are smother than that track. Gives me new respect for you guys.

March 15th is our first race of the season and I'm about to wet myself with excitement.

Congrats on the great finishes!

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
And the track you saw in that video still rates as Colin Edwards "favorite" track. His lap record on a TZ250 stood for the better part of a decade.

frankd_nm
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
After watching that video I see I need a little work on my shifting. I didn't see you drop below 9k at all. I've been letting it drop down as low as 8k in one corner and 8.5k in another. That may add 2 mph more speed on the back straight of ASR if I can get it right.

The_Reaper
02-27-2009, 09:36 AM

i know what you mean about the ebc pads. My dad and myself recently fitted a set of EBC rear pads to my SR50, one pad needed filing down by 4mm on the sides to fit :|

wish we had GOLD pads in stock like we did for the front :(

Ted / AF1 Racing
02-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Race Report with more pics and vids is up on the home page: http://www.apriliaforum.com/

nubus
03-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey Ted,

Any chance of getting a 90 degree pic of the side of the bike?
As late as I'm gonna get my bodywork I'm gonna need layout beforehand.
If you can post or send me a straight on side shot I can scale the dimensions.

Much appreciated!

Ted / AF1 Racing
03-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Hey Ted,

Much appreciated!

I'll snap one first thing in the morning.

nubus
03-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks Ted!!! :plus:

frankd_nm
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
That's funny nubus I had the same idea. So far, this is the favorite of both my girlfriend and my mother. I have the feeling the decision has already been made without me.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/frankd_nm/Sz7023-6g.jpg

cmra325
03-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Jon and Ted,

a little more sandbagging in the 125 gp race might be a good idea.:happy: dont want the natives to get restless about that rocket.

That little thing performed much better than I thought it would. sorry I missed the debut.

Ted / AF1 Racing
03-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Hey Ted,

Much appreciated!

Let me know if you need larger

http://tardypizza.com/Images/CMRA/IMG_8212.jpg

Jon and Ted,

a little more sandbagging in the 125 gp race might be a good idea.:happy: dont want the natives to get restless about that rocket.

That little thing performed much better than I thought it would. sorry I missed the debut.

Hey, I even threw it away on the 2nd lap! Jon's the speed racer, talk to him. :happy:

Ted / AF1 Racing
04-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Jon wringing the RS125's neck in the 125GP class at Texas World Speedway, it's a huge track for that bike:

ycYA_5ba5sg

frankd_nm
04-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey, some good racing there. Are you guys thinking about a gearing change next time you run there?

Socket
04-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey, some good racing there. Are you guys thinking about a gearing change next time you run there?

And about 10 more horsepower! good vid, though. He's definitly a terrific rider!

omrimon
05-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Are there any categories where the RS125 races against GS500's?

I wonder how they would compare on a tight Go-Cart track...

Great riding on the videos by the way, right on!

odie_trackie
05-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I took mine to Adam's Kart track in Riverside. It's a big bike for a kart track but it's doable. I only got it up to about ~60mph. In the really tight hairpins the "ka-chung, ka-chung" issue that seems to be due to a too small idle jet gets in the way, (link (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175427)) but it's still fun. Adam's has a lot of long straights (4 total) that allow you to really get on it, but most of them end in a really tight hairpin. A couple of bowl sweepers that are a lot of fun.

I really want to take it to Streets of Willow. I think it would be perfect there.

I found another kart track in SD that I want to check out. I want to get a bigger idle jet and a bigger sprocket and see how she does.

Are there any categories where the RS125 races against GS500's?

I wonder how they would compare on a tight Go-Cart track...

Great riding on the videos by the way, right on!

Socket
05-25-2009, 07:08 PM
anyone have a used oem rear tyre left? I need one...thanks!

odie_trackie
06-09-2009, 02:33 PM
After doing the kart track on Sunday, I took a look at my tires. They look like they got REAL hot. Now, mind you, these are the stock OEM tires that came with the bike (Pirelli Diablos). As I got on speed, I could totally feel them moving around under me. They felt like they were really soft but not necessarily in a really grippy way. I want to take some pictures, but the only camera I have won't do it justice I think.

I'm not really surprised with the way the tires are dealing, I realize I just need some real tires. But it's interesting, nonetheless.

Having the S45 jet really makes a huge difference. I went faster, but the Supermoto guys were still blowing past me.

nubus
06-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Even slicks will move around when you push them hard enough.
If you've never ridden on a racetrack your tires will look disturbing to you.
After my first track outing I thought my tires were flat defective!

P.S. You can smoke most of those supermoto guys on a bigger track!

odie_trackie
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Oh, I know how gnarly tires can look. I have done about 5-6 track days on a big track with my SV and pushed pretty freakin' hard. But this gnarly on a whole 'nother level. It's a good education on how tires behave in weird conditions.

I am just itching to really open this thing up. :)

Even slicks will move around when you push them hard enough.
If you've never ridden on a racetrack your tires will look disturbing to you.
After my first track outing I thought my tires were flat defective!

P.S. You can smoke most of those supermoto guys on a bigger track!

odie_trackie
06-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey AF1 guys, how many hours have you put on the RS125 on the track? Have you had to do a top end rebuild yet?

How much mileage have you gotten out of race tires?

Steve / AF1 Racing
06-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Hey AF1 guys, how many hours have you put on the RS125 on the track? Have you had to do a top end rebuild yet?

How much mileage have you gotten out of race tires?

At this point over 15 race hours (this is an endurance bike); same top end no internal changes.

Tires have been good for (Jon and Ted will know this better than me) between 7 and 11 hours (endurance racing conditions).

odie_trackie
06-17-2009, 02:50 AM
Wow! That's awesome! I love how easy this bike is on tires.

At this point over 15 race hours (this is an endurance bike); same top end no internal changes.

Tires have been good for (Jon and Ted will know this better than me) between 7 and 11 hours (endurance racing conditions).

odie_trackie
06-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Has anyone changed out the coolant for water wetter?

nubus
06-29-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm running MoCool.
(Motul product)
No issues.