PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Fork

Dieterly
02-11-2009, 06:14 PM
I just picked up my new RS 125 last week. It has been sitting in the garage since then and today I noticed that the right fork is leaking oil. Talked to service dept. where I bought and they explained it might have to with too much grease around the o-ring and it should stop leaking soon (I guess they use grease when assemble fork).

Anyone else had this problem, or maybe heard of it?

HONDARACER
02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Can you post a picture!

Dieterly
02-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I'll post some first thing tomorrow

frankd_nm
02-11-2009, 08:13 PM
I have the same problem. My right fork seal is leaking. At first I hoped it was just "assembly lube", but after seeing how much leaked out when I had it tied down on the trailer to go to the track I ordered a set of seals.

This picture was after I wiped it clean and did a SHORT ride. It was much worse when I pulled it off the trailer. Not just the ring around the fork that you see in the picture, but oil actually running down the leg.

Here's a link to the seal from AF1.
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2379

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/frankd_nm/IMG_2295b.jpg

HONDARACER
02-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I wonder if adding some seal swell to the oil would help?

Dieterly
02-12-2009, 08:25 AM
frankd,

Did you replace the old ring yet, and if you did, how bad did it look?

random0082
02-12-2009, 11:50 AM
If not a full warranty due to them being a 'track only' thing over there, dont you at least have some 'fit for purpose' type trading standards like we do in the UK?

Ok, its not a really hard job to replace the seals, but a brand new bike, id be taking that straight back before spending a penny / cent on it, its not fit for the purpose its been designed for if it leaks straight from new

Gman2005
02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
I would take it back to aprilia mate and get them to fit it. Iv not heard of anything like that happening with the new British bikes. They are being Italian though lol

frankd_nm
02-12-2009, 07:58 PM
No, I haven't replaced the seals yet. They just shipped out from AF1 today.
Yeah, the no warranty is a bummer, but I knew the deal before I bought the bike. And I really don't feel like driving the 250 odd miles back to the dealer and fighting over service on such a small issue. Besides I'm a graduate of Motorcycle Mechanics Institute (over 20 years ago!) and love to tinker around, so it will only be 50% pain in the butt and 50% fun/satisfaction. Best of all, if I do it myself I know the job will be done right. There are a couple of shops around here that I wouldn't trust to change my tires and get it done right.

frankd_nm
02-15-2009, 03:42 PM
I replaced the seal today. Turned out the seal may not have been damaged at all.

When I pulled the fork apart and inspected the seal I found a glob of assembly lube that had dried out a bit and was stuck between the two lips of the seal. I think the glob of dry grease may have been big enough to keep the lips of the seal from working properly.

I might have been able to just remove the dry grease and reassemble, but since I had the seal I went ahead and replaced it.

Dieterly
02-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Frank,

Thanks for the heads up. That was a possibility I was told by " Mattews Fun Machines", where I bought the bike. I'll take mine a part tomorrow and I'll let you guys know if mine has the same problem.

Dieterly
02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
After all, not so lucky with mine... http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss92/dieterly/Aprilia004.jpg