PDA

View Full Version : Racing Tires?

frankd_nm
02-08-2009, 01:33 PM
So what options are there for track/race tires to fit the RS?

I'm looking at options for a DOT race tire, but it doesn't look like there are a lot out there for the smaller bikes. Slicks are a possible option too, but I'm going to have to dig through our track rulebook.

I've heard some good things about the Bridgestone tires on the 125's and they offer good contingency too, but I don't have any experience with them.

I'd like to stay away from the Pirelli's as supply in this area is a bit of an issue and their contingency offers are the worst at our track.

nubus
02-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Look on a race forum for people actually racing 125s.
OMRRA and WMRRA would be a good start.
I assume _nm means New Mexico.
Does WERA run 125s?

ThisEndUp
02-08-2009, 04:41 PM
How bad can the stock Dunlops be?

Did you run them last time at the track? Or was that Tony from Pa.?

Hey, Tony...wake up.

frankd_nm
02-08-2009, 05:30 PM
My stock tires are Pirelli's. They are doing ok on the track, but nothing to brag about.
Yes, NM is for New Mexico. I'm not sure if WERA runs 125's or not.
I'll check out what they're using in OMRRA and WMRRA.

ThisEndUp
02-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Stock tires for your RS were Pirelli ?

Huh, mine was sent with Dunlops. Interesting.

Ted / AF1 Racing
02-09-2009, 11:36 AM
How bad can the stock Dunlops be?

Did you run them last time at the track? Or was that Tony from Pa.?

Hey, Tony...wake up.

The stockers make for a great street tire but start to slip early when pushing it on the track. They'd be fine for playing around on the track, but not for getting serious. However, we do have about 300 track miles on our demo on the stock tires and they show little to no signs of wear.

Stock tires for your RS were Pirelli ?

Huh, mine was sent with Dunlops. Interesting.

Some came with Dunlop qualifiers, others with Pirellis.

We'll be running Dunlops this year on our race bike. They offer:
Dots 120 front/150 rear
Slicks 115 front/155 rear

Expect insane grip and incredibly long life out of these tires.

ThisEndUp
02-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info.
:cheers:

ThisEndUp
02-09-2009, 03:32 PM
What slicks come in 115? I've seen rain tires in 115, but not dry track tires.

Which Dunlops?

Dunlop KR106 = 120/60
KR108 = 155/60

Gman2005
02-09-2009, 07:27 PM
dunlops Alpha 10 I think they are. Bridgestone 090, Michelin power pilot aswell.

frankd_nm
02-09-2009, 07:46 PM
The Dunlop KR133 front slick is 115/70.

Now all this raised a couple other questions. How much difference is there going from a 110 front to a 120? I assume that since AF1 if looking at that setup it doesn't have any adverse effects on the handling?

Also, I'm getting ready to order tire warmers. It looks like I should look at the Chicken Hawk 250GP warmers based on these tire sizes. Sound right to everybody?

Gman2005
02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
its all been done in Britain and it the stock size that works the best.

ThisEndUp
02-10-2009, 07:49 AM
The Dunlop KR133 front slick is 115/70.

Now all this raised a couple other questions. How much difference is there going from a 110 front to a 120? I assume that since AF1 if looking at that setup it doesn't have any adverse effects on the handling?

Also, I'm getting ready to order tire warmers. It looks like I should look at the Chicken Hawk 250GP warmers based on these tire sizes. Sound right to everybody?

The KR 133 is a rear slick. http://www.pro6cycle.com/dunlop/PriceSheet.asp

Yeah, these are really 250 tire sizes (tire warmers).

ThisEndUp
02-10-2009, 07:52 AM
dunlops Alpha 10 I think they are. Bridgestone 090, Michelin power pilot aswell.

Any listings for slicks?

AF1 guys, what are you going to be running?

Noassmblyrqired
02-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth of info from my track time on the stock Dunlops... I'll premise anything I say with the fact that I was no where near pushing the bike to the limits and at no point Track only tire made me go any faster.

The track Day was in early November and it was luckily in the mid 70's once it warmed up on Saturday. The track temps weren't much higher than the ambient temp. I was able to wear the tire all the way to the edges with my lean angle (so I wasn't a total sissy!). I was able to put a marbled/wrinkled surface on the rubber of the tires meaning I was approaching a good operating temp, but I did not take any tire temp readings.

On Sunday, it was a good 10 degrees cooler out and the track was much more slippery. I know that because there was an incredible number of riders who offed their bikes in the AM sessions, not because I felt the bike moving around under me. I was able to increase my pace by a fair amount once things warmed up. I'm pretty sure i was lapping much faster than what I had done on Saturday and getting the bike over even farther than before. At no time was I able to get the tires surface to regain the marbled/wrinkled appearance I was able to get the day before.

I'm not sure what any of this means...except that the tire doesn't get sticky in the 60degree range. The real test is to see if on a 100degree day if it gets greasy, especially with a 200lb rider.

Hope this tiny data point helps!

frankd_nm
02-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I think I've narrowed down my options some now. Darn RS uses odd size tires. Between 125gp and 250gp sizes. The 110/70 front is the biggest problem. The rim is too wide for 95 series front slicks (125gp size) and too narrow for 120 series front slicks (250gp size).

Honestly I'm probably just as well off using a DOT race tire anyhow. Given my skill level, budget and the fact that they make some pretty darn good DOT tires now.

So, there is the Michelin Power Race, soon to be replaced by the Power One that fit. I've used the Power Race on my motard with good results, so I'd expect them to be fine on the RS.

There is also the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro that fit the RS. I don't have any experience with them, but I would also expect them to be fine on the RS.

I'm probably going to go with the Michelin's, since they have a better contingency program at the track and supply (trackside support) will be better also.

ThisEndUp
02-12-2009, 07:49 AM
There is also the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro that fit the RS. I don't have any experience with them, but I would also expect them to be fine on the RS..

Once I burn through the stockers, I'm going the Supercorsa route.

I had them on my RSVR and they were fantastic.

Ted / AF1 Racing
02-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Any listings for slicks?

I'll be sure to let you know when they show up in the next few days, all I have for now is some cryptic info from the Dunlop guy.

Sooper
02-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Pirrelli Rosso Corsa's would be fine I think.....

Socket
02-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Frank, please let me know the price of the michelins, as I'd like a set for my 125!

Ted / AF1 Racing
02-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Any listings for slicks?

They are the KR108 and KR133.

frankd_nm
02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Socket, both the Power One's and the Supercorsa's will run about $361 mounted from Trackside support at ASR.

If you're going to be doing both street and track (not track only) you might want to look at the Pilot Power (or equivalent) . It's cheaper and will hold up to more heat cycles. I put a set of Power Race's on my motard that I used for commuting and trackdays, the tires are shot way before the "tread" wears down. They just don't seem to grip well after too many heat cycles.

Now that I think about it....If you're going to come out to ASR and race against me I think I'll recommend that you get some Cheng Shin's.:rolleyes:

frankd_nm
02-19-2009, 11:59 PM

So, you'll be running the KR133 in front?

Is that Kosher? :banana:

jjt17
08-05-2009, 08:11 PM
So, you'll be running the KR133 in front?

Is that Kosher? :banana:

So is this the way to go for slicks? Running the kr133 in front?

bikebike69
08-05-2009, 10:19 PM
HERE YA GO..http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Stickboy-Racing__W0QQ_sidZ291904087?_nkw=125&submit=Search

odie_trackie
08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I weigh about 200lbs and I ran the stock pirellis at SOW in late June. It got up to 100-105 by mid-afternoon.

The tires stuck pretty good, but it took me most of the day to get my times down to anything in the intermediate group. The pirellis move around a bit, but once I got used to that, it wasn't an issue.

I didn't need warmers at all. I took some temps about mid day and the tires were getting up to 130-150f.

I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth of info from my track time on the stock Dunlops... I'll premise anything I say with the fact that I was no where near pushing the bike to the limits and at no point Track only tire made me go any faster.

The track Day was in early November and it was luckily in the mid 70's once it warmed up on Saturday. The track temps weren't much higher than the ambient temp. I was able to wear the tire all the way to the edges with my lean angle (so I wasn't a total sissy!). I was able to put a marbled/wrinkled surface on the rubber of the tires meaning I was approaching a good operating temp, but I did not take any tire temp readings.

On Sunday, it was a good 10 degrees cooler out and the track was much more slippery. I know that because there was an incredible number of riders who offed their bikes in the AM sessions, not because I felt the bike moving around under me. I was able to increase my pace by a fair amount once things warmed up. I'm pretty sure i was lapping much faster than what I had done on Saturday and getting the bike over even farther than before. At no time was I able to get the tires surface to regain the marbled/wrinkled appearance I was able to get the day before.

I'm not sure what any of this means...except that the tire doesn't get sticky in the 60degree range. The real test is to see if on a 100degree day if it gets greasy, especially with a 200lb rider.

Hope this tiny data point helps!

odie_trackie
08-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Seems to me that using a dual use tire, like a Pilot Power might be a good idea for track days during the early spring or fall when the track temps aren't going to be too high and then using something more like a DOT race tire during the hot months. Of course this is tricky with the RS125 as the tires last forever.

What I have seen at a number of spring track days is a lot of guys crashing in the early sessions and the experienced racer guys skipping the first session. When I asked them why they skipped the 1st session, they said that their tires hadn't gotten up to temp yet (with tire warmers).

I've run Pilot Powers on my SV in the spring w/o tire warmers and been able to go pretty hard in the first session (after a couple of slow warm up laps) that yielded solid intermediate times. But by the end of the day, I did see a wee bit of cold tear.

odie_trackie
08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Ted, how fast do these Dunlops warm up? Do you use tire warmers? Do you have any temp targets that indicate when the tires will grip best?

jjt17
08-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I ran a 1:25 at nelson ledges on the stock tires, but they didnt have much more to give. Thats in the thick of intermediate, but I was running in open class without issue. A super fast lap there is around 1:10-1:12 (liter bike guys) most of the SV guys are just under 1:20 (some are around 1:16 or so)

I would really like to stay with the proper sizes.

I see you can get Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC in 110 and 150, but they are pricey

You can also get Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa SC in 110 and 150, but it seems not to be not available in the USA

Ted / AF1 Racing
08-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Ted, how fast do these Dunlops warm up? Do you use tire warmers? Do you have any temp targets that indicate when the tires will grip best?

We always use warmers and shoot for 175F before taking to the track, never measured them after coming off the track. Hot pressures of 25 PSI front and rear on such a light bike for us, but experiment and see what works best for you.

odie_trackie
08-14-2009, 12:35 PM
175f is what I see a lot of people going for. I have been running 26-27, but I might try going lower (25psi) next track day. I am pretty sure that I have a lot more to get out of the stock tires.

For my next tires, I think I am going with some Pilot powers. I can go plenty fast on them and they still work well on the road. But I will probably use warmers to prevent cold tear.

We always use warmers and shoot for 175F before taking to the track, never measured them after coming off the track. Hot pressures of 25 PSI front and rear on such a light bike for us, but experiment and see what works best for you.

Steve / AF1 Racing
09-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Any listings for slicks?

We ran KR133 115/70/ 17 Front (yes it is a Rear for a 125 but the profile works better than the 120 that the Dunlop techs recommended).

Rear was KR108 155/60/ 17

Typically the set was good for 7-9 hours of endurance racing.

jjt17
06-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Back from the dead.

What your race tire choice for 2010? DOTs and slicks only unless you actually race on street tires

robeanho_rs
06-09-2010, 07:12 PM
There is also the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro that fit the RS. I don't have any experience with them, but I would also expect them to be fine on the RS.

I've got the Dragon Supercorsa's fitted on my RS, done a few trackdays with them on and they're gorgeous, got a rediculous amount out of them as well (shame the engine didn't last as long!).
Mate of mine who was at the trackdays was running the Dunlop GP209's that the Aprilia Superteen riders use over in England, absolutely brilliant and are 110/70 and 150/60's. so fit the rim like the standard tyres, not sure if you can get the same ones still but Dunlop's brought out the GP211's now and they're brilliant as well for track use.

Read the first page and replied so not sure if this has already been covered! But just some info on those 2 sets really.

odie_trackie
06-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I am currently running BT003 race tires in a 110 and a 150 and they have massive grip.

I think I have read on this forum somewhere that you can run a 120 and 160 on this bike. I mentioned this before somewhere here that I talked to a friend who use to race AMA 250 and thought that running a 120/160 combo would be fine from a handling standpoint.

jjt17
06-10-2010, 09:11 AM
I cant find the BT003 Race DOTs in 110/150; I've only found that size in the BT003RS (racing stree) street/track tire. Do you have a link?

I think 120/160 probably would be okay, but they are larger and heavier and probably turn in slightly slower than 110/150.

I think I'm going to run the Dunlop slicks($??? trackside probably $350ish) or the Diablo Supercorsas ($400+ trackside). I run Dragon Supercorsas on my SV endurance bike so I am used to Pirelli's already. Sucks though I can get Dragons for $299 trackside in 120/160

Bridgestones (BT003RS) would be around $300 as well, but I do not want to run sprints and 20 min endurance on street tires.

odie_trackie
06-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I forgot to check them last night. I got them through a local shop who had a tire hookup, so I don't have a link. But I dig for you.

robeanho_rs
06-10-2010, 06:25 PM
I think I have read on this forum somewhere that you can run a 120 and 160 on this bike. I mentioned this before somewhere here that I talked to a friend who use to race AMA 250 and thought that running a 120/160 combo would be fine from a handling standpoint.

Yep that was me asking that question, then fitted them and they're brilliant, ran both 110/150's on track and then had the 120/160's and couldn't see much of a difference, theoretically turning would be slower but i couldn't see the change, also my mate ran 110/150's and we were just as quick as each other through the turns with no upsets.

becyk
06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Someone told me the 160 was a little bigger and affected his gearing. I went with the BT003 and they hookup fine. Since I don't have enough time on my hands to go out and test different tire sizes, I kept the stock 150 size...wish I could go with a smaller one too!

My choice: BT003 120/150 looks like they'll last forever too!

Richard

Motolorax
08-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Thought I'd bring this back from the dead instead of starting a new thread: so what DOT race tires are folk using these days? I'm just sorting my 125 and 250 out for the season and keen for a DOT choice. Seems the tire sizes for both bikes is rather limited here in NZ with pilot power 2ct being the only sticky DOTs I can find. Slicks aren't such a problem. Anyway, keen to hear opinions on the latest crop of tires. cheers

mattology
08-16-2016, 10:19 PM
ive heard the dunlop unbeaten 02 is the tire

08-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Now, i ride on the track at the Dunlop Alpha 13, very satisfied.