PDA

View Full Version : compatability

kanerdog1x1
02-02-2009, 03:57 PM
hello all. i am new to this site but have been watching in the background for a while.
i am in the u.k. and over here there are an abundance of both the newer bikes that you have just got hold of, and also literally thousands of the older bikes available. i was thinking of buying one of the newer bikes either crash damaged or in poor condition, as the brakes, suspension and the engine would be likely in better condition but i need to know if the chassis is the same as the older ones, as i am looking at fitting the older bodywork. i think it looks better, much more like the gp125 bikes you see on the tv. your help is much appreciated, matt.

the brit
02-03-2009, 10:16 AM
A 1 year old thrashed 2-stroke wouldn't be much better than a 5 year old loved one though.. A love 1 year old, yes, but then it might not be so cheap.

Buy the best one of the one you want is the best bet IMHO - starting with the old shape would probably be cheaper anyway. If it needs new bearings, piston and brake fluid/pads then that's a lot easier / cheaper than having to modify fairing mounts, wiring harnesses, electrical connectors and repair crash damaged parts..

HONDARACER
02-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Just search for an older bike that looks good and have a shop thats very familiar with the RS125s to have a good lookover before you buy. If the guy wont let you have it checked out, keep looking.

kanerdog1x1
02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
hey, thanks for the replys. im not worried if the engine/bearings/brakes are shot, i just want the later forks and radial brake. im pretty good with the spanners and i have a few contacts with motorcycle racing backgrounds so a full engine rebuild will be on the cards very early on anyway, even if its just to compare before and after dyno outputs.
i am looking to rplace many of the stock parts quickly anyway, such as the brake master cyl to brembo radial, i will get maxton cartridges for the forks and a maxton shock, arrow or jim lomas exhaust, both very easy to get in the u.k.... ohlins steering damper, modify the upper fork clamp(tree?) to accept clip ons, fabricate light-weight front and rear subframes, fabricate a large capacity curved radiator, add samco silicone hoses......the list goes on

jackdim
02-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Sounds like a good project, post up your results as and when you make them on the forum as it'd be nice to see.

If you want to fit older style bodywork to a newer shaped bike you'll need an older subframe (I have one of these for sale) but other than that everything else is a direct swap (perhaps apart from some wiring) irrc.

If it were me then I'd buy a tidy older shaped bike and then buy the new shaped parts and fit them onto it rather than the other way around as there is only the forks and wheels you want from the newer shape right? Perhaps buying a insurance written off newer shape to break and use the parts from?

Why don't you go the whole hog and fit a 257 rotax motor? Seems you have the funds, resources and skillbase to make this happen.

random0082
02-08-2009, 11:52 AM
you'll need to change subframes to alter the bodywork. the new radial brakes aren't any better than old style ones provided you use a good master cylinder and pads, braided hoses etc. Ive already done a lot of those mods, shout me if you want any pics or info. the Brembo radial m/c is a big improvement on stock. The old style caliper is surprisingly good if kept clean, its the m/c that's the weak link in the chain

Good luck with the project!

kanerdog1x1
02-08-2009, 12:11 PM
cool. one of my engine builder/suspension blokes races super-moto so getting a brembo radial m/c is high on my list.
what are the standard rear subframes made from, they look like alloy from the photos iv seen but alloy is frowned upon for subframes used to carry a pillion and as standard the bikes have a seat and pegs at the rear?
i would like to make a new subframe for the rear, and mount the front fairing gp style, direct to either side of the main frame.
take a look at my current project, i will update with some more photos this evening. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=38022&l=a3542&id=638672709 cheers.

kanerdog1x1
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
well, got a bike today, only ridden it for a few hundred yards around the trading estate, but i am fairly impressed. the most suprising thing is the front brake, for a single caliper brake it is fantastic! i will post a couple of fotos here, but will upload most of them to a facebook page, they are safer there, as they wont get deleted over time;) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=58376&l=67935&id=638672709

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1695/aprilia001kw9.th.jpg (http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aprilia001kw9.jpg)