PDA

View Full Version : EFI Warning?

frankd_nm
01-31-2009, 04:02 PM
I did some work on the bike today and now I'm getting an EFI warning. Need help tracking down what it might be.

What I did: I installed a new V Force3 reed

That involved dropping the oil tank
Remove the carb
Pulled the airbox out and cleaned the filter
Removed the airbox snorkel
Removed and replaced the reed cage
Changed the main jet
Put it all back together

When I got it all back together the bike ran lousy. Revved less smoothly when sitting in neutral, and wouldn't go over 4000 rpm under load. The heavier the load the worse it ran. I barely made it up the hill to the house.

I lifted the tank and checked that I had everything hooked up correctly. It appeared fine. I pulled the spark plug and checked it. It seemed like I was running rich (plug was black and wet). I pulled the TPS off the carb and checked that I had installed it correctly. It was.

I went for another test ride and had the same problems.

I lifted the tank again and looked everything over again. Everything looked fine. I pulled the TPS and electrical connections to the Carb and hooked them back up. Disconnected the sensor lead to the airbox and hooked it back up. Pulled the spark plug again for a check. Nothing wrong there.

Turned the key on and the EFI Warning was on! I went over everything for a third time and still didn't see anything wrong. Started the bike and it ran great. Took it down the street and it runs fantastic. But the EFI warning is still on.

Anybody have ideas where I might look?

mike1971
01-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Sorry I cant be any help to you. You'll get it sorted. Any changes w/ the new reeds/jet?

frankd_nm
01-31-2009, 04:50 PM
It's a little hard for me to say how much improvement the reeds made. I haven't been on the bike for a couple of months due to a broken ankle and I only took it about a mile down the road to test it. I will say that it seems to have made a noticeable improvement in the mid range.

The jetting I'm really not sure about yet. I went down to a 172 main jet, since I had been running rich. I'll have to see if I have to go back up to the 175 now that the airbox snorkel is gone and the reeds flow better.

frankd_nm
01-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Problem Solved.

I didn't have the TPS set correctly. Once I set that properly the EFI warning light went out.

akunabil
02-03-2009, 05:38 AM
sorry. what is tps? any picture?

the brit
02-03-2009, 10:07 AM
sorry. what is tps? any picture?

Throttle position sensor. Tells a computer what angle the throttle is at.

No idea how to set it (or to be honest what's it's doing on a carb'd engine; I guess used for the RAVE etc?) - never looked at that part of the manual..

Steve / AF1 Racing
02-03-2009, 07:15 PM
The EFI error can also be thrown up if the temp sensor in the airbox has been manipulated at all.

The TPS is position #8 in the diagram below:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/prodimages/st2/table_25-RS125.jpg