PDA

View Full Version : Now then

perkles
01-18-2004, 08:29 AM
I have been thinking hard about changing from a GSXR750 to one of these factorys things,lets here your "biased" opinions from a IL4 to the new Mille F.I do loads of track days and realy fancy a change to a Thumpin Twin :rambo:

ChicagoFactory
01-18-2004, 09:37 AM
I"ll just tell you that, I went from a Busa, to a Factory. :banana: There is NOTHING like the power delivery of a Twin. The motor is very smooth for a Twin, there isn't that "buzziness" of the I4. The Factory is smoother than the Busa I had. That thing had a vibration/buzz at about 4700-5100 RPM that was very annoying.

I haven't done any track days yet, but you will be blown away by the handling of the Factory. You just have to ride one to believe how excellent it is. Words can't describe it.

Go for it. It'll be the best bike you will ever own.

Mike

matteo998
01-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Depend what you want...if you are track only oriented my opinion is that GSXR750 '04 will be best track bike this year. For everything else, twin rules!

Thunder Factory
01-18-2004, 11:23 AM
As an all rounder for road and track the Aprilia is superb.

With race cans and the map the performance is breath taking and seriously for what your getting for your money be it RSVR or Factory there is nothing in the v-twin market that can compete!

:peace:

Felix Da Cat
01-18-2004, 03:21 PM
perkels,

I can't really comment on the GSXR-750 as I have not riden one, but I have ridden GSXR-1000 and own a Busa, as well as the Factory.

Bear in mind that I'm still running in my Mille, should be ready for more RPM by the end of this week. :D

The I-4 make much more power, with the 1k being an amazing power beast. The issue on a track is not just power, but how you control and use it, as well as how much you can put down on the tarmac. Down a back straight of a track, I don't think the Mille will be far behind. Bring in the 1st corner of the track, and you WILL be all over the gixxer's back wheel.

Were the Mille is in it's element, is the suspension and handling. It has amazing geometry and it's on rails, literally!!! Look, point and go, that easy. The power is still there, albeit less with more control though, so I believe that you will get amazing drive out of the corners, with much much higher corner speeds. The Mille makes good torque and drives you out of the corners with amazing confidence.

Brakes, are an issue too. Compared to the Factory, the 1k does not even come into the equation. This is an "out of the crate" comparison - you can throw in quite a few $$ into the gixxer, but you still won't have the brakking the Mille has. Take the Mille in stock form onto the track with a good rider and you have a winner.

The Jap bikes are easier to ride. I'm new to the V-Twin world, but you literally hop on to a Gixxer and it's easy to ride (I suppose you feel like that when you do 93,000km in 3 years on a Busa). The Mille has a higher seating position, but once you're railing it's not an issue.

Your best bet is to get to test-ride one and see what all the hype is about. The factory is definitely worth the investment. I don't believe that the Mille is a bike for everybody, so ride it and decide.

Good luck with your choice.
Felix

clarkie49
01-19-2004, 09:15 AM
the easiest way to explain the aprilia vs the Suzuki is that for a given lap time on the track - ok, a track that has some corners - is that it is easier to do the same lap time on the twin than on the IL4.

it will tack a little time to learn to ride the twin properly, the big problem is that you will have tendancy to over-rev the twin.

it will taek time to make yourself run into a corner in a gear that feels too tall and then drive out from 5,000rpm.

i got off a 125hp 2001 RSV-R onto a 140hp 2001 GSXR-750 and was slower at every track except daytona. i was also more relaxed on the twin and wasnt as tired at the end of the day.

what tracks will you be riding at and what is your track riding ability ie, racer, track day expert, trackday, intermediate, track day novive etc

hope this helps

ckruzel
01-19-2004, 09:54 AM
I know my friends 954 has more hp than my mille, but i don't like the power delivery, the twin is so much smoother, his has no bottom end, and the tank is very wide, ergo's not as nice,

perkles
01-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Actually i tend to not rev my gsxr enough ,but i have been told i am very smooth on track,hence thinking a twin would suit me.

Real reason i want 1 is they have character and that lovely boom boom boom sound :banana:

ket
01-19-2004, 04:04 PM
proper twin i tell thee

perkles
01-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ket
proper twin i tell thee

:peace:

ket
01-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Must say tho mate after following you round mallory i don't think a mille would make you quicker but i know thats not why you're buying one.

Looking forward to trying it out at almeria tho matey mwuhaha ! :D