PDA

View Full Version : Warning to North american Ebayers [re UK]

HONDARACER
01-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Since I purchased my 2 2009 RS125 last fall, I have been sourcing some spare parts via Ebay. Seems the UK has an abundant source of these bike and was a good source. I won many items as I will list. Problems started after I paid for the items via Paypal. Only one seller charged me reasonable shipping fees. ALL the rest charged at least double what the actual costs were some triple and some even quadruple. Figureing the british pound is basically double the Canadian dollar, basic shipping coat anywhere from $20.00 to $60.00 overcharge.

Thats not even the worst, I have had several items never arrive. complete lack of communications once the item is paid for, total misrepresentation of products, outrageously late shipping, shipping ground when I paid for airmail. Most of the items I won were a pretty good deal for me, but thats no reason to treat me like crap. Also I contacted every seller before the auction to see if they would ship to Canada, and all said yes. So it wasnt a surprise.

List of items
Misc items from 1st seller carb, seat, voltage regulator, horn.
Shipping was 60.00 pounds and was to be air. Took several weeks and cost the guy 10.00 pounds to ship. Not to mention he refused to talk to me, the phone number he gave me didnt work and he refused to answer emails.

2 sets of clutch plates. Paid right away, resonable shipping but items never arrived. Seller answered emials and claimed items lost in mail. Provided tracking numbers that didnt work. Apperaed as if they were just made up.

Set of rear footpegs and hangers. Items were charged out at 20.00 pounds shipping. Cost the guy 5.00 pounds. After many emails and threats to leave Neg feedback guy refunded 10.00 pounds. Product arrived and looked like it came from a garbage can somewhere.

Mitaka cylinder I won. Guy said it was useable condition. Same deal again. I beg the guy to give reasoable shipping. Get a request for 30.00 pounds for sghipping. I pay and item arrives and cost seller 8.71 pounds. Also item had scoring in cylinder and what appeared to be heat checkeing which cleaned up with a hione. Cylinder still has minor scorng but is fully useable. Had to threaten seller wil Neg feedback to get 13.00 pounds returned.

Chain and sprockets. Took 2 weeks for the guy to give me shipping costs. I refused and told him to pack in seperate boxes. Shipping then reduced to semi reasonable amount. Items also have not arrived. I won the items Nov 25 2008. Ya I am worried.

Aprilia complete top end from 2007 bike. 30.00 pounds for shipping. Guy claims he shipped in 2 boxes as per request. Won items in mid Dec 2008. Guy claims to have shipped end of 2008. 1 box arrives beginning last week. HAd barrel and head. Still waiting for second box and seller sent numerous requests for me to leave Pos feedback. Now he wont answere emials and wont provide proof of shipping.

the brit
01-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Shipping from the UK sucks.

I have a address in the UK that I have all my ebay items shipped to, and then either forwarded or I collect them in person when there for my car parts business. We regularly ship from Germany too, which is a bit better / faster / cheaper but the language barrier can be an issue for others. We have a 40' container of Volkswagen parts planned for mid-spring, so I'm sure i'll pack some bike parts at that time.

HONDARACER
01-12-2009, 10:06 AM
2 sets of mirrors from 2 different sellers. One set good the other set had rust spots. One set even shipped in a plastic bag. Both had unreasonable shipping costs and cost seller less than 1/2 of what they charged.

Pipercross air filter cone. Decent shipping fees and arrived in good condition and in reasonable time. 1 out of many aint bad is it?

Another Pipercross flat panel air filter. Won Dec 23 2008. Still hasnt arrived. Guy apperantly didnt ship until Jan 3 2009.

34mm carb, manifold and pipercross flat panel. 75.00 pounds on a buy it now. 20.00 pounds shipping and guy said he had a set of turnsignals for a late model 125 for 20.00 pounds. I sent him al;l the money right away [as usual]. Guy starts sending me emails asking me to give him + feedback immediatly so he can retreieve the money. I refused and he refunded my money same day. The next day he sends me 3 requests for money via Paypal. 30.00 + 30.00 + 35.00. I cancell all requests. Tell the guy he is a scammer. He has 45 transactions in 45 days. Yet he claims he has no money to ship items.

Ebay USA. I Buy it Now for a $650.00 US Snap on scanner. Guy ships UPS. I want it mailed USPS with insurance and tracking. I pay the difference. Item arrives in less than 1 week and is exactly as described. NO PROBLEMS PERIOD

Bottom line almost every transaction with the Brits has been a bad experience. I paid immediatly so its nothing to do with my end. I dont mind if a guy asks for a bit extra if there is customs paperwork to fill out.

Buyers beware. Seems the UK is loaded with crooks. Since Australia is already full I guess they need to send all the Brits to the Moon. Call it New Australia!

HONDARACER
01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Oh and one Brit told me to not buy on Ebay as I am "Not having much luck" Why should I have to have luck? I win an item fair and square, pay my money and expect the seller to hold up his end of the bargain. It appears that aint happening.

fnfalman
01-12-2009, 11:16 AM
That's a damn shame, Honda Racer. I guess I'll just have to wait for AF1 to stock more of the good shits and get them from AF1.

ThisEndUp
01-12-2009, 11:30 AM
I've never had any problems with U.K. shipping.
As long as the costs are up front and known...there are no surprises.
I buy bike stuff from all over the world.
Italy and Greece are a little dodgy though.

MXP1MP
01-13-2009, 01:20 AM
I have to agree with hondaracer I have an RGV and NSR and I get parts for my friend who has a TZR n RZ 500. If you are from North America (usa/canada) you must be made of money. This is why I buy all my parts out of japan/canada/usa whenever possible.

My last UK item was this KR1S raditor the seller wanted $65 shipping!! it was amazing how fast the shipping price dropped after I complained suddenly it was $30 and I think it only really costed him $20. Wanted to buy this plastic front fender for the NSR it was $65 for the fender and they wanted $45 in shipping I got a nicer carbon fiber one from japan for $10 less after shipping.

Definetly be extra careful with UK sellers.

RZRob
01-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Had an eBay deal for a Mito 125 parts bike (complete with engine). I got a frame at my door months later. Eventually, the ad fell-off eBay's records so I had no recourse. The guy said he filed with UPS, but I never could get a refund. Guy stopped trying or returning contact. eBay's gotten too riddled with scammers too. I'm EXTREMELY leary these days.

RZ Rob

the brit
01-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Just to set my position straight..

I buy a decent amount of parts in the UK, and have never been burnt once. I more problems in the USA (by a very small margin), but I also buy more here.

I have a second ebay account based in the UK, with my address there, as lots of auctions are blocked from people bidding outside the UK / EU. With the hassle of shipping (i.e. ground (cheap) shipping can take 1-2 months), I can understand that.

On my last trip, the worst that I came across was driving 2 hours out of my way and the seller not being there. When he finally called me back, I shouted a bit and he offered to send my items by courier. It was a $20 Volkswagen rear bumper and a bunch of interior bits with it. He paid $20 to send the interior bits next day, and the bumper arrived shortly afterwards - and I have no idea how much that cost to send, but either way he lost a decent amount of money making things right.

Bottom line, ebay can be good or bad the world over. Check feedback, check if the SeLLoR 'alks loik a twit 'n s33ms loik 'es a bit of a git, and check the shipping costs before buying it. I bet most people haven't shipped outside the EU before and get thrown off a bit. If it doesn't have a US shipping price confirmed, take care..

random0082
01-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Like anything, just need to beware and use a bit of common sense. ive bought and sold between uk, usa and europe, no problems. things like, if its really cheap and there is only a library picture, then id be suspicious. not all people from any 1 country are bad. ive done nearly 200 transactions and not had a single problem with any of them.

Also people are too quick to leave negative feedback. if there is a slight issue with anything then contact people IN A NICE MANNER to begin with and more often than not theyll sort it, same with ebay

ps, enjoy the breather ;)

trevorrs
01-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I have to agree with hondaracer I have an RGV and NSR and I get parts for my friend who has a TZR n RZ 500. If you are from North America (usa/canada) you must be made of money. This is why I buy all my parts out of japan/canada/usa whenever possible.

My last UK item was this KR1S raditor the seller wanted $65 shipping!! it was amazing how fast the shipping price dropped after I complained suddenly it was $30 and I think it only really costed him $20. Wanted to buy this plastic front fender for the NSR it was $65 for the fender and they wanted $45 in shipping I got a nicer carbon fiber one from japan for $10 less after shipping.

Definetly be extra careful with UK sellers.

I am from the uk, and i am quite happy to admit my hate of ebay. even thought i have just started to list some parts up on there in relation to the business.

For a start fees at 9.9% for the first 50 is a rip off. after that you have poor sellers.

First you have plain dodgy sellers who lie dont communicate etc, then you have those who just have no idea about what a good condtion barrel is. what someone somewhere might consider a good condtion barrel in his honest opinion i would consider a expensive paper weight or $1 worth down the scrapyard!

The last problem in the uk is the royal mail, for the average person the fee's are just so damm confusing! the fact it is also split into royal mail and parcel force dosent help most people.

If its over 2kg then cost seems to start at around 40 so about $60 at the minute via parcel froce.

Cheers
Trevor

Morgan
01-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Can't say I have a problem sourcing parts or buying from the UK - I live here. :eek:

For what it's worth, I've found motorcycle parts sellers are quite unscrupulous compared to say, CD or LP vinyl sellers on the auction site. Clearly you are buying without tracked shipping, and/or failing to complain to Paypal or something if you're receiving nothing.

A lot of the problems actually happen on the States side too: items are far more likely to go missing once they land on the huge American Amtrak continent, compared to being shipped out the UK (unless the seller never sent it).

If you're having difficulties sourcing parts for your little Aprilia, it's probably easier for you to get some mates to send you parts over, or get them from a dealer. The postage tarriffs are higher than what you guys pay: probably double is right. Our post services increased prices dramatically, so a 4kg package to the States will set you back around $100US minimum.

You're best to do your field work once you spot something you like in an auction. Send as many questions as you can think of, and see if the seller gets vague or fatigue before it ends. Bottom line is, they make peanuts, and the hassle of having to drive to a city post office and queue for 30 minutes just to post a $10 tank guard sticker via registered airmail post is just too much effort...

Morgan
01-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Just to set my position straight..

I buy a decent amount of parts in the UK, and have never been burnt once. I more problems in the USA (by a very small margin), but I also buy more here.

I have a second ebay account based in the UK, with my address there, as lots of auctions are blocked from people bidding outside the UK / EU. With the hassle of shipping (i.e. ground (cheap) shipping can take 1-2 months), I can understand that.

On my last trip, the worst that I came across was driving 2 hours out of my way and the seller not being there. When he finally called me back, I shouted a bit and he offered to send my items by courier. It was a $20 Volkswagen rear bumper and a bunch of interior bits with it. He paid $20 to send the interior bits next day, and the bumper arrived shortly afterwards - and I have no idea how much that cost to send, but either way he lost a decent amount of money making things right.

Bottom line, ebay can be good or bad the world over. Check feedback, check if the SeLLoR 'alks loik a twit 'n s33ms loik 'es a bit of a git, and check the shipping costs before buying it. I bet most people haven't shipped outside the EU before and get thrown off a bit. If it doesn't have a US shipping price confirmed, take care..

PS - why aren't you asking for a postage cost before entering a bid for the auction?

You can work out how much a parcel costs from the UK to anywhere in the world by going on www.royalmail.com (packet sizes) or www.parcelforce.com if it's a large package).

patchb
01-17-2009, 07:16 PM
I sent a pair of boots to france, only just over 2kg and that cost 35. Imagine how much it would cos to the USA. Also, Postage fees cover packaging etc. so are bound to be a bit more that it actually costs.

You are just too fast to jump to conclusions and are generalising everyone on Ebay UK, saying that postage is shit.

dellenty69
01-17-2009, 07:38 PM
i find with ebay, calculating postage too 30 different countries for 200 things that are all different weights are a pain in the ass. i either put the postage stupidy high so that buyer contacts me and asks for postage (gives me address etc) or i say in the listing "ask for postage prices"

i have no problem with sending anything anywhere and everything gets sent recorderd with a tracking number.

Stanley_Aprilia
01-28-2009, 04:52 AM
A bloke from this forum quoted me $200 shipping to the UK for a US RSV sidestand, you think your getting mugged...

rogerholliday
01-29-2009, 09:10 AM
We are not all the same over here!

I am selling parts for the 06- Aprilia's to fund my son's racing www.jordanhollidayracing.com and try to charge the correct postage but it is very difficult to get an acurate figure.

Anyway if you need anythig let me know and I will price it for you.

Stanley_Aprilia
02-03-2009, 09:20 AM
That would be great, thanks buddy :)

colognecapri
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
PS - why aren't you asking for a postage cost before entering a bid for the auction?

Thats what I was wondering. I never bid on anything without fixed shipping costs without getting a quote first.

HONDARACER
02-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I ask if they ship to Canada first. I have had people refuse to let me bid, stating shipping is too expensive, which confuses me becasue I am the one paying not them. Anyways, in all fairness. The seller should state they add a perecentage to the shipping for themselves. Then I would ask what percentage and that would let me decide how much to bid.