PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Problem

tha-mask
01-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Have noticed that the rear brake on my Mana is sticking on slightly. Firt noticed this when I came to a stop and the bike felt quite difficult to rock backwards and forwards.Fortunately I was near to work. When I got there I felt the rear brake caliper and it was very hot, so defo the caliper and not transmission etc.

This weekend I took the caliper off and copper greased all that needed but everyhting seemed fine, the pots moved in and out fine etc etc. Tried again today after a lay off due to bad weather and its still sticking on.

If I stamp on the rear brake a few times it seems to free itself, and if I avoid using the rear brake its OK. I'm guessing the only other thing is could be is the master cylinder perhaps which is mounted just behind the brake pedal.

Just wondering if its possible for somer dirt salt etc to be causing a problem as its just started in the winter. for those of you out there with experience on bikes is this a common issue as I might have to resort taking it too the dealer as it looks like a complete selaed unit. Any pointers on aything else to look for ??

tha-mask
01-08-2009, 07:53 AM
I think I may have the answer. Have just had another look at it in the garage at work and the pushrod from the brake pedal to the master cylinder has a rubber gator on it which wasnt in place properly and the shaft of the master cylinder where the rod pushes it in has some corrosion, so its probably not returning 100% of the time, will need some WD40 or ACF50 at home tonight and that will hopefully cure the problem.

I'll let you all know, but worth checking this rubber gator as it just sits in place and could come out, and where its located get all manner of crap in it.

tha-mask
01-10-2009, 05:56 AM
indeed that was the problem. Worth checking this people.

chrisrappl
01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the good information. I know that I will now keep an eye on it.

alfamoi
01-13-2009, 08:10 PM
:plus: